Omnibus Stupid MFers in the news thread (Part 2)

I once wrote a science fiction story where, in the future, the “bathroom” is called The Excretorium.

I hought it sounded classier than Ursula K. LeGuin’s name for the toiler – The Shitstool.

“Onomatopoeia” sounds like it’s some sort of Italian delicacy.

“Hey, you want sausage and onions on that Onomatopoeia?”

“most words came because of onomatopoetic”

But none of the words in that sentence did. Or in that one, or this one.

I didn’t watch the video. But I’m dubious. Some, sure. But not most. Still haven’t hit such a word. Well, I suppose you could make an argument for “hit”, which sounds a little like a noise one might make if hit in the abdomen, but I think it’s a thin argument.

I expecting Rob Watts or Jess Zafarris, not Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner.

You probably should before you make assumptions as to what it’s about.

I’m not making assumptions about what it says. I’m making assumptions about what the post I was answering said.

I may, of course, be making the wrong assumptions about that. It may just be facetious.

Man asks Grok to invent a new skateboard trick, gets his friend fired when he tries it on his lunch break and immediately breaks his nose.

I’m not sure if I want that to be real or not.

Dumb and Dumber - Now with AI assist!

Pretty sure it’s fake given that it’s a one-day-old account that has its posts hidden.

Just a note: A lot of shit on Reddit is fake. It’s not the New York Times. In fact, it’s not in any way the news, so no clue why that turd’s in this thread.

In a rare Stupid Bipartisan Idea of the Day, the House has overwhelmingly voted to make AM radios mandatory equipment in all new passenger vehicles.

https://www.wsj.com/business/autos/house-defies-automakers-and-mandates-am-radio-in-new-cars-5479fceb?st=no8ePE&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

That’s so they can receive civil defense broadcasts. There will be a little button on the radio.

If this had been an actual emergency, you would have been instructed where to tune in your area.

The latter was already in common use in the early 80s when I first came to Japan.

The most common use of 便所 is 公衆便所, public toilet.

It’s also common to use トイレ toire, from the English word.

If they can instruct me to tune into AM radio, they can just effing tell me what the AM radio was going to say.

I’m sure I’ll catch flak for being insensitive in many ways for saying this, but whenever I see a picture of White House Communications Director Steven Cheung I can’t help thinking that he looks more like 1960s racially-insensitive DC villain Egg Fu than any human being should. It’s that big bald pointy head of his.

The differences:

1.) Cheung has a body
2.) Cheung sometimes wears glasses
3.) Egg Fu has a long, prehensile moustache (and not a Fu Manchu- style one, as you’d expect)
4.) Egg Fu always seems to be smiling and laughing, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen Cheung break a smile.

Can you help me out with how this is stupid?

I guess I thought all cars already had this.

Historically, yes, they did; automakers were starting to phase out traditional radios, to reduce costs, and in recognition that many new car owners use their phones to stream music now; additionally, some EVs were taking AM radios out due to interference caused by the cars’ systems.

The National Association of Broadcasters and emergency management agencies lobbied for this new law, to mandate that AM radios remained as standard equipment. They may actually have some good points: AM radio may be a more reliable source for emergency information if internet and cell service are disrupted, and AM radio signals can carry for quite a distance.

It’s also a great sop to the voters who live in rural areas and are the overwhelming users of AM radio for normal listening when / where there’s nothing else out there.

It’s also a super-sop to the hard right propagandists like Art Bell and whoever has replaced Rush Limbaugh (is he still dead? :wink: ) as the frothing king of the MAGA airwaves.

I remember that when my dad bought a station wagon in the mid-sixties, radios were an option. Since you had to pay extra for the radio, guess whose car didn’t have one.