Omnibus Stupid MFers in the news thread (Part 2)

See folks. that’s the way to do it !

Why does Jensen Huang need to know his home address? That’s the chauffeur’s job.

How tall does a man
Need to be? Tall enough for
His legs to reach ground

I spend on average five minutes a day in my car (two errands a week, the rest I do on my bike).

The chance of someone fumbling the atomic football during that moment is minuscule. The chance that I’d have the radio on is zero.

Now, if cell towers worked long enough for them to warn us to take shelter, they’d reach everyone except my mom (don’t worry, I’ll call her).

Did you know the Gettysburg Address is one long haiku? I read about it on the internet! And now so have you.

And since I find that intriguing, but not sufficiently enough to look it up, that “fact” will sit in a tiny little sulcus of my brain until I die.

Darn good bet it’s BS.

And within a few hours, the AI models will think it’s a haiku, as well, that is, if bots still scraped and prioritized the SDMB as much as they used to.

What the fuck have I done?!

| We Have Deduced |
| That If We Visit|
| The •SDMB•|
| We Waste Too|
| Much Time There |

| Sincerely; your Bots:|
| Huey/Dewey/Louie|

The thing is that there aren’t many options better than AM radio. The coverage and power requirements are hard to beat.

The main issue with AM radio in EVs is EM interference. Digital AM doesn’t have this issue and would be a better choice, but I don’t think it is supported widely enough.


I’m not a fan of this legislation, but after some reading I see the logic. It’s the last mechanism in FEMA’s patchwork of broadcast methods. There are better methods in place, but if they all fail this one won’t.

FEMA has hardened 70 or so commercial radio transmitters including local power. And while not everyone has a car, it’s not a bad choice – a car is a mobile shelter with its own battery.

That said, a crank powered AM radio should be sufficient. As @kenobi_65 answered, bundling a stand-alone radio isn’t sufficient to comply, but given the law’s goals it should be.

Latest scandal in academia: Dartmouth provost writes an op-ed on AI cheating at universities, and the article turns out to have been AI-generated. Excerpt from the Boston Globe:

This marks the highest irony meter reading since the case of Francesca Gino, the Harvard Business School professor who was sacked over multiple charges of data frabrication in her research. Her major field of interest? Honesty.

Yeah but now not even the chauffeur will need to know it. Hell he will not need a chauffeur, the e-car will know.

Of course because of all that he will not be able to recognize in time that the e-car is actually driving him to the Soylent Corporation’s processing plant, but hey, “there are a lot of skills that do not matter/can be safely given away”.

Except the first trans-Pacific cable wasn’t laid until 1903 and that was San Francisco to Manila. You need the infrastructure as well as the components.

What about in the other direction – to Europe and then across Asia to Japan? Or just to a Samurai who was visiting London, as some did around that time…

Exactly. Undersea cable infrastructure aside, it’s a fun brain-bender to think that faxes existed so much earlier than is intuitive. Perhaps some disaffected young samurai developed the concept of backpacking across a foreign country to “find themselves”. And that Lincoln needed such a pen pal.

Ah, yes. Nothing was stipulated about where they were. A samurai visiting London is possible but one in the US would be a better bet. The first trans-Atlantic was laid in 1858 but lasted only a few weeks until an inept engineer destroyed it by raising the voltage to make it faster. The first one that lasted was in 1866, too late for Lincoln.

Eh, you don’t need an oceanic cable. Lincoln could have just used a satellite relay.

Reading this, a thought popped up:
What was the Gettysburg IP Address?

186.31.11.9