Omnibus Trolls R Us Thread

Buon Appetito!! Just remember to give the tentacles on the right side an extra bit of char.

If you’ve got an octopus and it’s Thanksgiving, surely you need to make a Cthurkey.

That thing might actually have me saying: Please pass the Tofurkey!

Where did “the mods tell you to desist?” As a poster, I pointed out your pathetic attempts to bully an inoffensive poster just because he was odd. What you did was truly obnoxious and a loser move. Trying to defend your asshole behavior and lying about it doesn’t improve your position.

If you really believed him to be an AI then there wouldn’t have been any point in Pitting him, now would there?

mhendo has a way with words. That last sentence, especially, is a beaut!

It wasn’t in the Pit thread I started. But I’m surprised you think that Pitting someone constitutes bullying.

It is when a poster’s only offense is “not returning to the threads he started,” which is what you Pitted him for. And even that was incorrect, as shown in the Pit thread.

If you actually believed he was a bot, you’re an idiot. If you actually believed he was a bot, and wanted to bring it to the attention of the mods, you could have PM’d us instead of starting a Pit thread. You were grandstanding to bring attention to your own supposed superiority to a poster who in your opinion didn’t quite “fit in.”

Right, you have to consider not just the content of the posts but the process. His entire “contribution” to that thread rested on the implicit assumption, which absolutely nobody actually believes, that voters deciding whether to hold a candidate responsible for ethical lapses should apply the same evidentiary standards as jurors deciding whether to send someone to prison. Multiple people pointed out the absurdity of that position, but he didn’t engage in that discussion and just kept repeating himself until he got the reaction he had been trying for all along; someone lost their temper and got a Warning.

By his logic, he should regard Hillary Clinton, who has never been convicted of a crime, as a shining beacon of unquestionable ethical integrity, and anyone who says otherwise as the moral equivalent of a lynch mob. I’m certainly not going to waste my time searching the worthless shitstain’s posts, but I feel quite confident in assuming he does not actually hold that position.

It’s very frustrating to me that the Mods in GD and Elections ignore the “don’t be a jerk” rule and draw a bright red line at directly insulting other posters, regardless of the provocation that led to the insult. The result is that people can get away with being total raging assholes as long as they stay within the letter of rules, and the culture of the board becomes toxic as a result.

If the mods followed your advice, they’d be banning left-leaning poster here much more quickly than right-leaning ones (just because of the numbers). Would you be OK with that?

I’m not really sure what you’re considering 'being a jerk" here, as it seems to be either “holding political beliefs opposite to me” and/or “not being consistent within one’s own political beliefs” and/or “calling out one side for things that one doesn’t call the other side out for”. There’s a difference between being a jerk and being a hypocrite. There’s even a difference between being a partisan hack and being a jerk.

I agree with this. Still, octopus often seems deliberately obtuse, out of spite. It doesn’t 100% seem just partisan hackery, but rather an intentional provocation where he admits he knows better. I wouldn’t say it’s trolling, though, or should be acted upon by a mod. It’s just plain frustrating.

That is not true. Perhaps you should re-read my OP in that thread? Let me quote myself below:

Care to apologise?

(My own apologies for the double ‘not’ typo.)

Looks like Colibri was correct.

What did we decide our new thread was going to be? 19th century stamp collecting? Paper folding techniques of the mid-fifties? Heck, we could even go with recipes. Any takers?

In the meantime, have some hearty stew:

Ingredients
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups beef broth
3 potatoes, diced
4 carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped

Directions
Place meat in slow cooker. In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt, and pepper; pour over meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery.
Cover, and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours.

Holy fuck, the only thing more embarrassing than that thread is Quartz trying to defend it years later.

To be honest, I often don’t bother reading a post when I see his name on it. I do engage with him from time to time, but not often. I recently challenged him on an issue, though, and he did back down.

I’m not trying to defend it; I’m pointing out that Colibri’s memory of it is incorrect. I’m also defending myself from an unfair and unwarranted charge of bullying.

I suppose you could say that Colibri has successfully trolled me…

(not saying you do this…) I think some of the trouble comes from remembering behaviors from the pit and applying them to other fora. And I’m not signaling out octopus on this one. I think many posters take the loose rules of the pit to heart and then are surprised when they are not taken seriously in GD. and vice versa; there are posters who get all butt hurt by something said in the pit and carry it around with them like some crown of thorns.

mc

That could be. I spend a lot of time in the Pit. But I kind of hold everyone to the same standard here.

I’m pretty sure **Gyrate **was being sarcastic. We really need a font for that.

Hey! Maybe we could use Comic Sans! :smiley:

That stings, iiandyiiii. Asking for evidence before making decisions that can seriously and negatively impact someone’s life is not shameful regardless of how you spin it.

Questioning the timing in your eyes is a separate issue. We don’t live in a society where absolute honesty is the norm. Thus we question motive. Does that truly suck for those who have been mistreated? Yes. Does it suck that we have an environment where too many victims of sexual or other forms of violence can’t or won’t speak out? Yes. Does that mean the solution is to unconditionally believe every accusation? No. Think of the big picture and it’s more complicated than you are willing to admit.

But at least you got your heart in the right place and that counts for a lot.

I think it goes without saying that sexual abuse is wrong.

Now that is both creative and horrifying!

Still hysterical and ignorant? You know what isn’t hard? Not acting like a jackass outside the Pit when discussing politics. That’s why they sit you at the kids table during Thanksgiving. They don’t want you flipping the Cthurkey after getting triggered.