On Logos

As an attorney and frustrated graphic designer, I’ve always been interested in logos, whether in the corporate world or in the sports world.

What I would like to have here is a collection of your comments on logos, such as the following:

Chevron:

Simple logo with design corresponding to name. Colors are similar to Exxon’s but work much better.

Shell:

Classic corporate logo and recognizable in any language. Yellow scheme is surprisingly pleasing, especially with the red accent colors seen in some stations.

Texaco:

Although logo (star with “T” inside of it) is a good idea, I think the general color scheme (black and red) has worn out its welcome.

How come? Reminds you of Nazi Germany?

No, it doesn’t remind me of Nazi Germany. The color scheme just doesn’t work for me anymore.

Other comments:

Wells Fargo Bank:

I like the new logo of the horses better than the stagecoach but the horse logo is somewhat unwieldy.

Chase:

Boring.

Any yellow-on-red logo is mind catching (McDonalds, Shell, etc)

Pepsi: Kind of Yin/Yang-ish

Coca-Cola: Classy. Old-school. Makes me think ‘quality’. Most things in a script do that. A lot of hotels have that going on.

Toys ‘r’ Us: I think of FUNand children. It’s either the multi-colors or the kiddie script.

if I come up with more i’ll post

punk snot dead,
broccoli!

One of my pet peeves is that just about every other company now incorporates some sort of “swoosh” in their logo now. Why is the swoosh now so dominant in logos? The days of real creativity and originality in corporate logos is now long-gone. Same thing with company names and slogans – they all contain the word “solutions” now.

Old: “Straight Dope - Fighting Ignorance Since 1973”
New: “Straight Dope - Robust Ignorance Fighting Solutions”

After doing a Google search, I found a site with swoosh rants - http://www.50cups.com/swoosh/default.asp .

About Pepsi: Is it me, or are they completely ripping off South Korea?

Moving on.
M&M’s - short, phonetic, look nice in lower case.
Dell - kinda boring, but the sideways E is decent.
Burger King - the new logo is a good change, as the old one always conjured up images of 1988.
The Straight Dope - it’s big, bold, and squashed together, making it harder to read than it should be.

My favorite logo is for Sun Microsystems. It doesn’t look like much until you look the second time, but it’s just cool the way they work the three-letter name in four times with just eight little curves.

Handspring

I realized last night while playing with my new Visor Platinum that it is, in fact, someone doing a handspring. I like it. It’s simple and easily recognizable, and it requires no set color scheme (allowing the design to be inset into the faux leather slipcase that I’ll be replacing ASAP).

Dr. J

Interesting! I kinda like it. It’s old enough that it’s teetering on the brink of being retro cool.
Of course I’m still cheesed off that Procter & Gamble caved to the fundies and deep-sixed the half moon face and stars logo.
As far as oil companies, I never cared for the green and yellow BP logo; too clunky.
Veb

Chrysler:

New logo (which appears to be a retro one) is much better than the pentagon-shaped one I remember from my youth.

Quaker Oats:

The old Quaker man has got to go. At least make him a stylized Quaker man.

Oldsmobile:

So sleek and modern, I can’t even remember what it used to look like.

Phillips 66:

A classic that can’t get any better, in my opinion.

Jaguar:

The sleek body of the jaguar animal goes nicely with the sleek body of the car.

Nissan:

I don’t know. Get a logo with something other than your corporate name. It’s just boring.

UPS:

This logo (with the parcel on top of a shield) could probably be re-worked.

Considering all the flak P%G got for their logo, it has never ceased to amaze me that no one has attacked evil, foreign Toyota for thier logo. It looks like a goat head. Hell, if I were starting a sleek, modern, efficient Satanic cult, I’d steal it.

Schoir wrote, in the OP:

My understanding:

The company used to advertise itself simply as “Standard Oil,” not as “Chevron.” They started calling their gas stations “Chevron” only after the Standard Oil logo (with the red and blue chevrons in it) became universally recognized. (Incidentally, the red-and-blue chevrons logo also fits in, somewhat, with the name “Standard”, because it looks like a Battle Flag – battle flags are sometimes called “standards.”)

Regarding the color scheme: Red, white, and blue are pretty common colors for U.S. companies, for the obvious reason.

AMC Theatres:

Boring and caught in the 1970s.

Loews Cineplex:

I like the stylized spotlights, presumably from a premiere of a movie. It reminds me of Fox’s logo.

Best Buy:

I don’t like the color (yellow) or the price tag logo.

Saturn

The optical illusion that makesit first a ringed planet and then the letter “S” made it an instant classic.

And while we’re on the subject of “S”. . .

Doesn’t Superman’s shield pretty much say everything that needs to be said?

I like the way they click when you put the blocks together and how you can make all sorts of cool stuff with them.

…oh, this thread is about lOgos, not Lego’s!!!

That being clarified, I do sort of like the logo for Lego’s!!

AETBOND417 said:

What happened in 1988?

Texaco used to have a green T, then a green bar for the top of the T

Texaco flag

: Burger King - the new logo is a good change, as the old
: one always conjured up images of 1988.

Don’t like it. The swoosh will seem dated in five years. The new logo seems to tell me “Burger King – meal replacement solutions for consumer clients.” It’s bad enough that every dot-com company incorporates a swoosh into their logos, but restaurants too?

Oh dear. I don’t like the new Burger King logo either. For some reason, it reminds me of the Pepsi logo. Does BK serve Pepsi? I can’t remember. Pepsi probably owns them now. They seem to own everything else.

Not sure if sports teams count as logos, but I really like the Seattle Seahawks logo. I could be wrong about this, but I think they are the only team to use an artistic style for their logo which is actually associated with their region (the seahawk’s head is rendered in the style of the art of the Native American tribes of the Pacific Northwest).