One of the stories of Krishna - a romantic MMP

The love story that I always heard throughout my childhood was that of Radha-Krishna.
Krishna is an incarnation of the Sustainer God Vishnu upon this earth, and Radha was his love when he was here. It is said when he played his flute, she would drop everything and run to him. Her love symbolizes, to us, how pure and simple the love between God and human can be. It doesn’t have to be a distant, uncaring love. God is like a real person in our mythology, playful, bantering, serious, and loving all at once. Even now as an atheist I find the story utterly charming.
The story of Radha-Krishna takes place 5000 years ago, according to our Vedas. Only a few hundred years ago there was the famous poet MiraBai.

She gave up everything in her life for the love of Krishna, and to this day she is spoken of in awe and wonder. She sang and danced for Krishna in public temples and refused to worship Durga, the family goddess. Legend has it she was even given a bowl of poison to drink by her frustrated family, and she said Krishna’s name and drank it, and the poison became clear as water and she was not killed.

In honor of them, this lovely song, with translations:

Ek Raadhaa, Ek Meera Donon Ne Shyaam Ko Chaaha
Antar Kya Donon Ki Chaah Mein Bolo
Ik Prem Deewaani, Ik Darad Deewaani
Ek Raadhaa, Ek Meera …

One was Radha, one was Meera, both loved Shyam*
The ending to both of their stories…?
One was crazy for love, the other crazy from pain

Raadha Ne Madhuban Mein Dhoondha
Meera Ne Man Mein Paaya
Raadha Jise Kho Baithi
Vo Govind Aur Daras Dikhaaya
Ek Murali Ek Paayal, Ek Pagali, Ek Ghaayal
Antar Kya Donon Ki Preet Mein Bolo
Ek Surat Lubhaanee, Ek Murat Lubhaani
Ik Prem Deewaani, Ik Darad Deewaani …

Radha searched for him in the gardens
While Meera found him in her heart
The one that Radha lost in life
That Govind* showed his kindness
One with the flute, one with the anklets, one crazy, one wounded
What’s the difference between the two?
One saw his face, the other only a statue,

Meera Ke Prabhu Giridhar Naagar
Raadha Ke Manamohan
Raadha Din Shringaar Kare
Aur Meera Ban Gayi Jogan
Ek Raani Ek Daasee, Donon Hari Prem Ki Pyaasi
Antar Kya Donon Ki Tripti Mein Bolo
Ek Jeet Na Maanee, Ek Haar Na Maani
Ik Prem Deewaani, Ik Daras Deewaani

Meera called her love Giridhar Nagar*
Radha called hers Manmohan*
Radha would dress beautifully
and Meera become ascetic
One was a queen, one his slave, both thirsty for his love,
What was the difference between the two?
One never claimed victory, the other never claimed defeat

*All the many names of Krishna.

It’s a lovely poem, Mika, and a lovely story. Great OP!

Just pointing this out for now. I’ll chime in with my story for today a bit later, after all the congratulations have been disposed of… (this may take a while, there are **lots **of congratulation due! :slight_smile:

ETA: First response? And I wasn’t even trying!

That’s beautiful, Meeks!

Happy Monday, kool kids. I haven’t had enough caffeine for much more conversation…

Wow - heck of a way to start a Monday! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, I’m at home, as promised. The ophthamologist doesn’t open till 9 so I’ve still got about half an hour to kill. I hope they’ll see me - I really don’t want to go to the GP - especially since I don’t know if I can get in with them anyway.

I should do some tidying. But I don’t want to get distracted and miss calling exactly at 9.

Won’t you all be glad when I get this resolved and stop whining about my eye? I know I sure will!

Happy Monday anyway!

Beautiful song, mika, I am caffeinating. I’ll take Maggie Wonderbeagle to the dog park before it gets to hot. Happy Monday!

What a great OP to start the week, meeks!

I’m having a pretty average kind of Monday-ish day. It’s raining out there so the bonus is that I’m in a nice dry office. Only 3hrs 15mins until hometime!

Oh, cool! I’d been thinking “it’s been a while since 'mika last told us a story” but didn’t want to be beggy :slight_smile:

I take the Raid did work?

It’s been raining like the sky was trying to get rid of all the water in the world. The sun is out now. I haven’t murdered any programmers, coworkers, consultants or anything.

My leg had been hurting a lot the last two weeks; I’d even left work early one day to go to the ER. The doctors ran an ultrasound and said it was muscular and to take paracetamol (think Tylenol, if that name isn’t familiar).

I took paracetamol. Didn’t do much. Bought an otc liniment, which helped but I had to apply it every two hours or else. Two nights I kept waking up every couple hours from the pain; most other nights, I’d wake up at least twice. I’m pampered, my idea of “a bad night” is needing to pee at midnight - this was Not Good. It wasn’t so bad when I was at home; I suspected the chair at work (way too deep for my short legs) to be at least partially the culprit, but my boss doesn’t accept the posibility of working remote.

Last Thursday I switched the offending ergonomic monster for a “visitor’s chair” which is supposed to be less fastabulous but which is shallow enough for my back to touch its own. By Saturday morning I was alllllmost healed. Yesterday I was able to walk for one hour without any pain :stuck_out_tongue:

I hate so-called ergonomic furniture. If any of you ever sees me trying to buy a chair with levers, please kick me!

Way jake Mika! I loved the poem/song. A lot of Indian poetry/music is really nice. Even those two videos you linked to yesterday were nice. Then again, back when you were sharing plots to Indian movies with us I was all rapt and fascinated, so I may not be the best judge. Maybe I’m just easily entertained. :smiley:

Good mornin’ y’all! I’m up and all caffienated and have even done some job stuff this mornin’. I feel so industrious! ‘Tis a day to stay inside and cool around here. High of around ninety-five Amurrkin with a heat index of around 103 possible this afternoon. I’m hopin’ that will lead to some “popcorn” thunderstorms later on in the afternoon.

FCM tell ‘em it’s an emergency cause this has been botherin’ you for two days now. I think that qualifies as emergency.

Later Y’all!

ETA: Nava a day at work without killin’ off co-workers can always be called a good day.

Loverly, Mika, except it’s too early on Monday for poetry and lyrics. :stuck_out_tongue:

My weekend was a collection of little things, and no big tales to tell. Loki and Freya went nuts when two teenagers came walking down the road. It’s nice to know the VunderLair will be safe if we’re ever attacked by nubile girls. :rolleyes: :wink:

Mayberry still amazes me. I was outfoxed by my own city-slicker cynicism. We have some left over furniture that we no longer need or have room for, and I was too lazy to make 3 trips to the Goodwill in Suffolk. When we were in Hampton or even Indianapolis, you could put a pile of manure out on the curb with a ‘For Sale’ sign on it, and it’d be gone within the hour with nary a knock on the door. I hauled the stuff to the side of the road, put ‘For Sale’ on all of it, and it sat there two days including overnight. :smack:

I went on a chest pain call Saturday, since all of the ambulances were at a waterskiing competition, and I was close. I took in my new, never been opened blood pressure cuff, and when I went to take the old guy’s BP, I found it was Some Assembly Required. :eek: :smack: I didn’t ride to the hospital, but the last I heard, the old duffer was doing fine.

This morning was warm, sunny, and foggy. Just the way I like summer mornings.

Howdy all!

That’s all I’ve got, the stupid coffeemaker is broken and I haven’t made it over to the coffe shop yet.

I do too, but their response could well be “Go to the emergency room, then!” I’ll just try to sound all pathetic and contrite and hope they can squeeze me in.

Well, it killed the bugs…; but it seems to attract bears… :dubious: (Read the last 2-3 pages of last week’s MMP. I’m not retelling the story :o)

Yay for the simple chair healing you! And I need to know **just **where your leg had hurt, so I know where to kick to cause the most damage :stuck_out_tongue:

My story for today – last night, about 10 PM, I find a message on my cell from about 8. It’s my Reserve Unit’s commanding officer. This after a day of “interesting news” in Northern Israel.

First thought: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Call him up, turns out I’m half right. Nothing to do specifically with yesterday’s action, but he wants me to come in for a half-day today in order to get up to speed because he needs all the reservists to help prepare for a possible re-run of last summer in Lebanon! :eek:x10

So – I’m going to be spending a half-day or so a week for the foreseeable future making plans for a war I really, really hope doesn’t materialize! :frowning:

Sorry to turn things so serious so fast, but it was a wake-up call that there is some real stuff, some of it nasty, happening in the world at large.

Otherwise, all is (still?) good around here; I’m even on-track at work – enough that even after getting in at 2 PM I can still afford to be here :stuck_out_tongue:

I posted in a separate thread

Great OP, I’m constantly intrigued by the lyricism of the language - even translated into clunky old english, it sounds poetic.

More upon completion of this LARGE coffee.

Happy Monday.

Just checking in before I head off to the hospital.

Pretty poem, Anaamika.

I am soooooooooooooo hungry.

Hang in there, **Kat ** - this too shall pass! Fingers crossed and good vibes and all that!!

I’m waiting for a call back from the Dr. I should probably get dressed in case they say “Come right in” huh? My purple bathrobe really isn’t appropriate attire in public.

Maybe a mod could blend the two threads? Mika, that was really lovely and interesting. Thank you for sharing it.

It’s supposed to get really hot today. I’m going to fill a bag with ice cubes and cuddle it. I’m built for the Frozen North, not midsummer.

Oh, I read it… good thing ACBG saved you, I don’t think your wife would have taken it very nicely.

If you can hit there, you should be in the national soccer team. Right groin, very sharp pain about 1cm out from where it hurts when it’s my ovaries… and then when I tried to avoid hurting there, I got pain in the upper calf, the inside of my knee, the long muscle of the inner thigh and my coccix. Not all at the same time, usually.

It’s like that classmate I had who needed a renal transplant - being able to put a name and lastname (actually, two names, since his dad was also in the list) to the “someone may need a piece of you” motivated everybody in that school to sign up for organ donation on our 18th birthdays. Israel is now for me, among others, this redheaded programmer with a wife who cooks less than he does, a teenaged, sharp-witted daughter and younger twins…

Morning, all. Beautiful OP, Meeks. There’s nothing like a good love story to make religion more interesting. And a lovely poem – thanks for the translation!

:eek: indeed, BBBobbio!

And a quintuple :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: for you, Someone Special! Yikes, you do NOT need a rerun of last summer in Lebanon! :eek:

It’s another hot one here, so other than a trip to the credit union to deposit the ol’ paycheck (the reporting firm won’t do direct deposit for me as a contractor; I sure wish they would, it would make my life MUCH easier), I have nothing planned but working. Since I didn’t do much of it this weekend; I put my feet up and watched golf and knitted with Papa Tigs. It was fun watching the top golfers suffering. :smiley: I’ve never played a round of golf in my life, mind you, but golf is a good TV sport – takes enough time that you can take an hour off here or there and not miss much of anything. But the work is still waiting for me, so I guess today I need to behave myself.

Now I’m off to read Matt MCL’s alternate MMP.

Judging by the performance of the (under-23’s) National Soccer Team in the European Prelims last week, all I need to do to make that team is fudge my birth certificate :smack: (0 points, 0 goals scored in 3 games, anyone?)

What can I say? Just glad you seem to have found a solution!

Thanks for the good thoughts! :slight_smile:

**Mama Tiger **-- thank you for your thoughts, as well.

Kat – good luck! {{{{}}}}

FCM – Doc’s office get back to you yet? Be sure to let us all know what’s happening with you!