Only read this if you're interested in/familiar with Peanuts

I mentioned in the Favorite Lines From Comic Strips thread that my friend and I used to try to stump each other with Peanuts quotes. Now that I think about it, I think I came up with one punchline that he wasn’t familiar with, but he never got me. So I’m going to post a few of them. Anyone interested can try to describe the strip it’s quoted from.

Example: “Please do not harm my mother and father.”
—From a sequence wherein Charlie Brown loses a library book and thinks he’ll be going up the river. He writes a note to the library offering to turn himself in, and ends with that request.

“Oh, well, they’ll find out someday by themselves!”

“If it’s such a nice day, why spoil it for the rabbits?”

“I thought it would be impolite not to taste it!”

“One rarely gets a chance to see such carefully prepared sarcasm!”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about…I’m too young and innocent!”

“GO, SILVER FLAKES!”

“My brother IS the court house!”

“Oh, well, if you’re going to go around watching every word you say all the time, you’ll never get much said!”

“I’ll just have to tell her I don’t know any real dogs…”

I’ll stop now. And please accept my apologies if this topic is just too obscure, or too M and P.

Remember, I’m pulling for you; we’re all in this together.
—Red Green

Some of 'em sound familier, but I cannot pull up the individual strips from my disposal mind…I can even see the panel with Snoopy saying it would have been impolite not to taste it. Ah, well.

One of my favorite Peanuts lines is: “I love mankind, it’s people I can’t stand.”

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
–Einstein

“Oh, well, they’ll find out someday by themselves!”:
Snoopy raising a nest of baby birds, watching them fly off.

“If it’s such a nice day, why spoil it for the rabbits?”:
Snoopy’s reply to Frieda’s goading him into chasing rabbits
“I thought it would be impolite not to taste it!”:
Snoopy’s reaction after Lucy freaks when he licks her hand.

“My brother IS the court house!”:
From an early series of strips where Charlie Brown (or is it Linus?) has conversations with the school building.

“My hovercraft is full of eels.”

I thought it would be impolite not to taste it! Snoopy, after slurping Linus’ new watch.

One rarely gets a chance to see such carefully prepared sarcasm! Lucy, after receiving a certificate from Linus commemorating 1,000 consecutive days of crabbiness.

I’ll just have to tell her I don’t know any real dogs… I think this was the one where Charlie Brown’s has a school assignment to draw a picture of a dog, but Snoopy, his intended model, goes through a series of poses that are so outlandish that Charlie Brown gives up.

I don’t know what you’re talking about…I’m too young and innocent! I think Sally says this to Charlie Brown, but I don’t remember the context.

My turn:

1. Suddenly it all seemed so futile!

2. Uh huh… But I notice he wasn’t too sensitive to eat the carrot!

3. With a little practice I bet I could get the shoes too!

4. The vacuum cleaner!

“I don’t know what you’re talking about…I’m too young and innocent!”

• Sally’s reaction when CB tells her about Kindergarten

“My brother IS the court house!”

• Sally’s school talking *

“Oh, well, if you’re going to go around watching every word you say all the time, you’ll never get much said!”

• Lucy insulting CB and finding out he’s right behind her *

Suddenly it all seemed so futile!

*Sally jumping rope then crying. Linus asks why *
Uh huh… But I notice he wasn’t too sensitive to eat the carrot!

• Snoopy makes friends with a snow man and it melts. He is sad CB and Linus watch *

Not quite. Older birds had a meeting in the doghouse, during which they discussed some “terrible plan”. Snoopy wondered if he should tell the humans, but decided not to bother.

Again, not quite. She was trying to get out of going to kindergarten. CB said, “This is evasion of responsiblity! This is what is eroding our society!” That sequence was, I think, Schulz’ anti-draft-evasion statement.

All correct.

“With a little practice I bet I could get the shoes too!”

Linus is wearing his glasses, holding his blanket and sucking his thumb. Snoopy whooshes past him and ends up holding the blanket and wearing the glasses.

“The vacuum cleaner!”

Lucy shows CB all of (toddler) Linus’ elaborate toys, and then says, “So what does he play with all day long?”

Oh, and “GO, SILVER FLAKES!” was from the sequence wherein all the kids, except CB, are on snowman-building teams. Sally is totally Brandi Chastain about this, surprisingly, because she usually resists conformity, not to mention exertion.

New ones:

“Maybe I’ll get lucky and there’ll be something about him on TV tonight.”

“Would you give a starving dog a rubber bone?”

“This is NOT the way it was!!!”

“AND SELFISH”

“How about if I were coming through the rye?”

—Red Green

As you can see, Ril, NOTHING is too obscure for this crew. That said, I have one for you:

“Thud?”

Oh, boy, and I was about to pounce all over you, and say that the PROPER line was “That was the vacuum cleaner.”

But you were right.

“That was the vacuum cleaner” is one of my favorites…Sherman and CB are eating potato chips in the living room; Sherman expresses worry; CB says, “Don’t worry, if we drop any, the vacuum cleaner will pick them up.”
Snoopy saunters by, eating all the dropped chips, and CB offers the above punchline.

Uke

Jess: That would be Snoopy watching a leaf fall off its tree.

Ike: Good show!

—Red Green