Ophelia Windspeed - Hurricane heading toward Ireland and Scotland

Steampunk heroine!

We had the weird yellow sky here in Cornwall as well this morning. Disaster movie lighting, bit unnerving to wake up to.

Aside from that, it’s been gusty, but nothing really bad, and it looks like it’s dropping here. Hope those who get the full force of it stay safe!

We had that here in Hampshire - the sky eventually turned to dark orange-brown and it was so dark that the street lights came on at midday. Hardly any rain, not a lot of wind either - just end-of-the-world skies.
It’s now 10PM and it’s blustery out there, but we’ve only been on the fringe of the phenomenon. I feel for people in the direct path - 30 years almost to the day of the ‘great October storm’ - which I do remember well.

Mud & rockslides in the mountains, from rainfall.

Had the dusty skies in North England yesterday and a lot of wind in the night, looks like it sucked all the clouds away though because it’s a lovely sunny morning

So, how did our British dopers fare with Ophelia? I hope the damage isn’t too extensive and that casualties are as low as possible.

Didn’t touch here, but now we’re awaiting Brian.

And from that is a link that may vanish with time, showing how the British/French/American expedition to crush the bolsheviks set up a death-camp in Mudyug in 1918, before the bolsheviks had time to set up their own death-camps.

Makes you proud to be British.

Frankly, it’s about time y’all got some proper WEATHER. You’ll be ready when the Gulf Stream gives out and you get stuck with weather befitting your latitude. :wink:

Ophelia was a cyclone, tempest
A god damned hurricane
Your common sense
Your best defense
Lay wasted and in vain

I went to London – not to be confused with anywhere else in the british isles which might actually conform to the stereotype! – a couple weeks ago, and they were completely glum about their apparent rain and cold. Now, cold, I can understand, everyone is used to their own coldness, and maybe I, from genetic randomess, can claim to some stoic cold-resistance, even though everyone in London was wearing a fur-lined anorak compared to Floridian me in my long-sleeved shirt.

But the fucking rain, man! England is metaphorically known for its rain! But when it even drizzles, everyone looks glum and draws into themselves while walking. They definitely do not show that stiff upper lip. Meanwhile I am walking and, being from Florida, literally do not even notice it is raining.