Opinion question about the video "The Curse" by Josh Ritter

There’s an argument on Facebook about the meaning of the ending of the music video “The Curse” by Josh Ritter.

This is the video.

Since the debate has to do with spoilers to the little story told in the video, I’ll mention it in the next post for the benefit of anybody who hasn’t seen the video and is interested.

So, scrolling down just a bit and then going for open spoilers:

One reading of the video is that the mummy gets better because he slowly absorbs the life of the scientist, which is why she grows ill and dies. He essentially kills the thing he loves, although not intentionally.

The other reading is that the scientist simply lives a long time, grows old, and dies, but because the mummy has eternal life (or at least thousands of years) time passes differently for him. The sadness of his life is that he will be continually outliving anyone for whom he has feelings.

What was your take, or do you have another?

OMG, that was unexpectedly moving.

Optimist here, and my take is definitely the nicer of the two - she simply grew old, and for a moment in his life, he loved her.

Wasn’t it, though? :wink:

That was my read as well, though the other seems to be the majority on the FB discussion.

The horn he holds at the end represents his fond memory of blow jobs.

Oh. Sorry.

She grows old because that’s what people do. Hower, I can see from these lines where people came up with the other idea “But he stops to rest/
Then less and less/Then it’s her that looks tired”. She could look tired because of natural aging, but why is he getting more stamina?

Definitely the first option for me.

I think the curse in the title refers to the mummy and not to those who disturb him. He, for whatever reason, is cursed to destroy what he loves most. He’s aware of it, but can’t do anything to stop it, so in that sense, it’s not intentional. It’s just what will happen. I think most of the song hints at it but, for me, it’s the last verse that confirms it:

*Long ago on the ship, she asked “Why pyramids?”
He said “Think of them as an immense invitation”
She asks “Are you cursed?” He says “I think that I’m cured”
Then he kissed her and hoped that she’d forget that question

He’s implying that the pyramids are there to attract others in so his curse can continue. Also, the very last line - he wants her to forget because he loves her and wants her to live the rest of her life happy.

And, all interpretations aside, both the song and video are gorgeous.

I first thought it was the second interpretation but now I can also see the other one.
That’s a great song. I had never heard anything by him before. I think I’ll check him out. Thanks for posting that. :slight_smile: