Oral Roberts dies

Ted Kennedy wasn’t a con artist.

And I caught an enormous amount of shit for trying to impose my preference that the conversation remain civil – apparently, there’s no expectation that it be so.

I didn’t realize he was still alive, not that I follow the comings and goings of televangelists.

You are listed as a moderator, are you not?

If you decide one has to drown somebody in order to have civil conversation about one’s death, you can make it so.

Regards,
Shodan

It’s an opinion. If you wish to lionize the guy, feel free.

Maybe not, but he was a murderer. Or at least a vehicular manslaughterer.

Not gonna. I think Oral Roberts was an asshole. Just want to be sure conservatives have a level playing field.

Ted Kennedy caused suffering to the friends & family of one person via his incident, Oral affected the lives of thousand through providing false hope for “healing” and through financial hardship for many others… I don’t see this as left or right, I am sure just as many people on the right know Oral was a huckster.

My grandmother sent small amounts of money to him for many years. She could not afford it. When I pointed out how well Roberts lived ,she muttered something about gods will.

So was Laura Bush.

When she dies, I’m sure it will come up.

I can’t believe you are trying to compare Ted Kennedy, a senator who made a mistake when he was younger, (a mistake his constituents seemed to be able to forgive him for) and a man who’s only goal in life was to use a holy book and its teachings to make as much money as humanly possible.

Oral Roberts deserves an eternity in hell, forever washing the smalls of all the old ladies he swindled. Since I’m an atheist, I know he’s just slowly rotting in the ground. Too bad, by my account.

Oral BELIEVED. I met him (grew up in Tulsa, my father did some business with him, my brother is an ORU graduate). I don’t consider him a con man because IMHO he believed in his mission. He loved the University, and providing a hard core Christian education (and at times a decent basketball and baseball team). He funded medical missionaries for years (paid for medical school if you would serve in Africa afterwards while preaching).

I don’t agree with him, I never sent him money, and I come not to praise but to bury, yadda yadda yadda. However, there was another side to his work beyond the mansion and air conditioned dog house. The university and the mission work was good work, even if built on the backs of donations from those who should not be writing checks.

Then again, when we moved my wife’s grandmother into a home, we found many a thank you letter from politicians, pseudo charities, and others thanks to her multitude of checks. Oral’s operation was just one in a long line of people who get checks from the elderly.

Richard Roberts, on the other hand, is an idiot. I also never got the same feeling from him that I did from Oral (OK - that sentence is going to come back to haunt me - go ahead).

I’m not. I just don’t want to see any whining or mod smacking when the next liberal dies, and conservatives post negative comments in MPSIMS. Fair is fair.

“Fair is Fair”?

What are you, eight?
You are not going to have much fun in life constantly trying to tit for tat everything that you think isn’t “fair”
Welcome to the internets.

This xkcd cartoon seems fitting…

Comanche Indian.

Are any of the televangelists taking up a collection to try to bring him back?

Thought not.

Here’s an idea. How about you let the moderators do the moderating. And if you have a beef with it, you know the right place to express that.

He actively and knowingly took money from those who could least afford it, he preyed on their faith and guilt and lived a a lavish lifestyle far beyond any need.

He did evil.

So did Kennedy (just to bring this full circle).

Wasn’t this guy telling us he was going to die (if he didn’t raise enough money for a new building)?
I guess he got his wish.:smiley:

Mine too - when my dad mentioned Orals lifestyle, and my grandma lived off meager means as well.