Original Attack of the Clones Ending

While thumbing through my “The Art of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones”, there’s a comment by one of the artists that Lucas decided at the last minute to change the original ending of the script and put in the more upbeat wedding ending (personally, I don’t think the wedding was all that upbeat, but was a sign of deep woe to come). Does anyone know what the original ending actually was?

As a side question if you’ve viewed the book, why do the guys who draw Natalie Portman make her legs twice as long as her torso?

Because long legs are sexy.

The original ending undoubtedly featured Portman getting drunk and a bit stoned and having a one-night fling with Obi-Wan.

Whereupon Anakin gets even more whiny, bitchy, and generally pussified and takes out his anger by throwing more machine parts around in his workshop on Tattooine.

What REALLY sends him over the edge, though, is the discovery that not only is Portman pregnant with twins (Luke and Leia!) but they’re really Obi-Wan’s and not his. Hence, his disgust for everything Jedi and the turn to the Dark Side.

(I know some SW lover is going to point out that Luke and Leia are identified as Anakin/Vader’s kids in the original movies, and implicate that my guess is bunk, but since Lucas shows such disregard for continuity from the prequels to the originals, I think I can indulge in a bit of excellent revisionism as well).

No, no, it’s obvious that Luke is Anakin’s son. He inherited Ani’s whiny gene.

Well, I remember about a year or two before Episode II came out reading a blurb of an interview with Lucas, and he was saying that the birth of Luke and Leia was probably going to be in AotC, near the end of the film. At the time, I they were just starting pre-production and planning.

My guess? Padme was going to die during childbirth, pushing Anakin completely over the edge into the Dark Side.

And yes, I know that Leia once said she remembered “a little” of her mother, but a lot of things can be retconned away in 18 years.

Actually, you’ve got it slightly wrong yourself.It’s revealed in the next movie that there’s an accident with a time machine and a fertility drug and Ani’s really Luke’s son! :eek:

Luke also says he remembers a bit about his mother as well. Of course, he could be wrong, and he’s actually remembering Obi-Wan dressed in high drag and entertaining a few space sailors from Mos Isley while Luke is supposed to be sleeping.

This could explain Luke’s inclination to act whiny and more than a little effeminine.

I’d guess that the film was originally meant to end on that last shot of the clones marching off to war and Palpatine talking about how much he loved democracy

How odd. I don’t remember there being a wedding at the end of AotC.

Good point. How do we know that scene was a wedding? I don’t think droids can act as legal witnesses.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Keith Berry *
**What REALLY sends him over the edge, though, is the discovery that not only is Portman pregnant with twins (Luke and Leia!) but they’re really Obi-Wan’s and not his. Hence, his disgust for everything Jedi and the turn to the Dark Side.

[QUOTE]

So you are making an “Obi-Wan ‘shot’ first” argument! :wink:

I thought he said, “I have no memory of my mother.”

Ah, nothing like a bunch of half-witty psuedo-answers to a serious question to wake one up in the morning! :rolleyes:

That’s kind of my guess as well, but was wondering if anyone could confirm it. Here’s the quote from the art book:

Also clears up the question about whether it’s a marriage at the end, don’t you think?

My Obi-Wan/sperm joke was AT LEAST 3/4 witty!

Art books aren’t canon. :wink:

From T’bone’s Star Wars Universe:

Thanks, Lobot. I was hoping it was something more exciting than just switching the order of the two scenes. I kind of got the impression that the wedding wasn’t in the original script and the artists had to scramble to make up time to design Padme’s wedding dress.

Cool site, though.

In Lucas’s world, even canon isn’t canon.

The last word spoken in The Phantom Menace is Boss Nass holding up that glowy ball thing and saying “PEACE!”

The plan at the end of AOTC was that the last word spoken would be “WAR!”

It didn’t quite work out like that, but it was close - Yoda says “Begun The Clone War Has.” and the ensuing shots have no additional dialogue.

That was only fan speculation, never a plan, AFAIK.