Otherside by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

Im not a musician or that much of a RHCP fan but this song just hits my musical sweet spot. It seems so economical and condensed; not a note wasted and each note perfect. Anthony Keidis (he of a limited vocal range) is perfect here. It is biographical, about that bands former guitarist Hillel Slovak Hillel Slovak - Wikipedia who died of an overdose. John Frusciante guitar work is just perfect. It is a perfect storm of great hook and emotional impact. Yes, this is kinda drunk posting but what a great sing.

RHCP has lots of great sings in my opinion.

I agree. They arent the most talented band out there but they make some really great personal songs.

Certain bands have a “sound” common to all their songs. If I like that sound, I tend to like that band. RHCP is a good example.

I had never thought of it that way but I think you are absolutely right. Their songs really do stand out compared to the other bands of their era.

My Friends played on the radio one day in 1996 when I was in a transitional, emotionally fragile, uncertain yet poignant moment of my life, and I’ve never been able to shake its impact on me.

Yeah, I love that song.

RCHP are a really talented band that can cross the line of selling out or being d*bags, but at their heart deserve respect. Frusciante is such a brilliant guitarist - they were fortunate to have him for as long as they did. He fit right between Flea and Kiedis’ attempts at singing. I find that when an RHCP works, it usually is because Frusciante is adding his unique voice to the song. Otherside features him really well - the lead break is Lindsay Buckingham simple, but really hits the dramatic peak of the song.

I’m a long-time fan of RHCP. Here’s a good quality live performance of Otherside.

Every time I listen to RHCP I enter some kind of trancelike concentration so I can appreciate all the parts. IMO the sum of those parts is transcendent in many of their songs.

Yeah, well said. In quasi-musician speak, they leave a lot of space in their sound, and when the parts come together, it can give a much bigger feel than the individual parts would suggest. I love that when it happens, and yeah, they can make it happen. Flea’s basslines, when they are both funky and melodic, can cover so much territory in the mix.

Besides all the music, the video itself is a lovely work of art.

That whole album is pretty classic.

I’m not much of a fan of the Chili Peppers, and I don’t care if I ever again listen to someone rave about Flea being the greatest bass player ever…
However, that song is a real good one, with an outstanding bass line flowing right along in a strong groove with the vocals. That song climbs and climbs, and grooves the whole way.

Anyone who says that really hate that song? …well, we cannot be friends.

Frusciante is an absolute stud and so is Flea. I prefer their older stuff…I think Blood Sugar is one of the most brilliant mainstream recordings **ever **given the breadth of good songs from start to finish. If I had to nominate a CD that most represented the 1990’s it’d be that one along with Ten and Nevermind, but I think Blood Sugar surpasses both of those in terms of musicianship and long term viability.

The song in the OP is a favorite of mine amongst their new stuff, some of which is pretty forgettable. Ultimately they have been a solid and very good band for a long, long time.

That was from the album they recorded with guitarist Dave Navarro of Jane’s Addiction. I don’t think Dave really meshed that well with RHCP but I do have to say I really love his guitar work on that song. I’m glad Frusciante finally snapped out of it and rejoined the band although I think he did quit again. :eek:

I agree that Otherside is just a perfect song and really enjoy Anthony’s singing on that song. Otherside was one of the first songs I learned when I first started playing bass so I have a soft spot for it. Personally I think my fav songs of theirs though are Soul to Squeeze and Breaking the Girl.

Flea is a great and talented bassist but he’s not nearly as good as people make him out to be, I’m actually probably more impressed by his trumpet playing.

I think it’s a great song but I like Dani California more.

I have never completely gotten used to the “new” RHCP, in the early days they were a neat funk/rap/punk band, with songs like Taste the Pain and Fight Like a Brave, and their great cover of Stevie Wonder’s Higher Ground.

Dani California is my favorite, too. Here’s the live videoI always watch - not the best picture quality, but I love this performance, especially the close-ups.

They’re great sings until I song them. Then they’re awful. I can’t song worth a damn. :slight_smile:

Neither can Kiedis and he’d be the first to admit it. Working with what he brings - and he brings a lot as a frontman - is part of what makes then unique.

Not many made it out of the funk/metal 90’s alive, i.e., having an influence and songs that last past the era. Rage. RHCP. Please don’t tell me Linkin Park.

I was lucky enough to see RHCP back in my college days. Good times, and a great band live. The older I get, the more I appreciate bands who can actually play music without computer assistance.