OUTLOOK 2000 Problem: Multiplying Outbox Msgs...

Okay, this is the second time this has happened to me, and I don’t understand why. Whenever something is delivered to my Inbox in OUTLOOK 2000 (and read), it starts to generate messages in my outbox, sending attachments to everyone I have in my address book. These attachments are strangely named files that probably have ‘virus’ written all over it…

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this… I’m running out of ideas… is there something i should look for in my registry…

pop-ups, viruses, and spam are going to kill everything.

What you’re experiencing his not an OL2000 prob. Your machine’s infected with a virus. I’m suspecting a variant of the sobig virus.

Visit the home page of your antivirus software maker and search for ‘sobig’.

This certainly does have “virus” written all over it, and your machine is happily trying to spread its infection to the rest of the world. Without knowing precisely which virus you’ve been infected with (there are a bunch of them that behave this way), trying to fix it manually is virtually impossible. Even knowing the identity of the virus, it would be damn tough to tackle by hand, since viruses can hide under all sorts of otherwise valid file names.

Get either McAfee or Norton anti-virus software, get it updated, and run it. Until you’ve done this, I’d suggest staying off the Internet - your machine is a hazard to the rest of the web!

By the way, and this is one of my favorite rants, having anti-virus software but never updating it, or letting your update subscription expire, renders the software almost useless. Broadly speaking, the software will only protect against the viruses that were on the loose when it was last updated. If you haven’t updated it in, say, a year, it will be unable to intercept most of the new viruses produced within the last year.

Anti-virus software, unlike a Ron Popeil Rotisserie, is not a “set it and forget it” item!

Yes, it certainly sounds like a virus. Update your virus scanner and run a scan.

If you don’t have one, a good free one is AVG at http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

I don’t know the ramifications of installing it while already infected.

(The free version is here)

thanks everyone for you help… are these virus senders out to destroy the world? are they so anti-technology that they have to destroy it for everyone? man, i hate these idiots.