Overspilling coffee and overly nice people

Couple of MPSIMS’s that I’ve been thinking recently…

Why well-trained baristas at expensive coffee houses such as Starbucks do always, and I mean always, over-spill foam (cappuccino) or hot milk (latte) so it gushes over the paper cup edge. Do they really think that I’m that fastidious to complain about two teaspoons of foam as they take their time to fill up the cup so as to show their skills, justify 5 dollars coffee or pretend they care? Don’t they realize that it looks bad and, on top of that, when you try putting the lid, the foam starts spewing through a small egg-shaped hole and then instead of drinking the damn thing you start licking first? It just doesn’t look good! Then, depending on the force applied locking the lid you may, at worst, have your tie or a shirt stained or, at least, have your holding hand slightly messed up. One time I even tried to prevent this catastrophe by asking the guy to allow for some space in a cup as I’d like to add, ummm…. some cold milk. The guy went ahead and did it all by himself – he poured the foam as usual over the top and then used a napkin to remove the overspill only to have it all leveled flat. If I really wanted to add milk -which I didn’t, it was just an elaborate excuse so as to not offend barista - the foam would again spew over the edge of cup. It’s a win but does it have to be this complicated? Should there be any part of fancy coffee order that specifies level at which to pour the foam as in “tall double-shot cappuccino with non-fat milk 80% level”?

Another one is an honest request for people to stop being overly nice. Here I am, climbing the steep stairs, I got about 5 or 6 more to go and this well-meaning lady is already on the platform holding the door for me, her hand stretched and her torso ever so slightly twisted. She sees I’m way back, but she’s there, patiently waiting, smiling politely. But the look on her face forces me, even if I didn’t plan, to start jumping the stairs in an attempt to show gratitude for door being held. “Thanks” I say, while thinking what exactly is the rule for holding the door? I thought it was just a gesture to someone who’s following really close so as to not lose the step. This lady made me swallow couple of steps and really got me out of routine and I have no idea what I was thinking earlier. What is the rule?

** Upon re-reading, it’s more lame than mundane, but still :frowning:

I have thought similar things. One of my bartenders fills my drink to the very brim, so that it will spill when I pick it up. She sets it on a napkin, but it’s still tricky to get it to my mouth without spilling it. The other bartender leaves a bit of room at the top.

I hate the door holding thing!!! Don’t make me hurry because you decided to hold the door for me! It makes me feel guilty. Just go on in! (Unless my hands are totally full, then I appreciate it.)

My trick, which you are, of course, welcome to try, is to leave the glass/mug on the bar, and bend down to glass edge level, sipping liquid and lowering the level without spillage. :cool:

A non-trivial number of customers will bitch and complain if they think they’re getting cheated out a single drop of product. Showing the overflow shows the customers that the cup is indeed full, and there ain’t no more foam going in that thing.

I can’t work up much outage for the door holding thing. It makes some people feel good to think they’re doing a good deed or a small kindness, so I say let them do it. Even if you don’t need it, you’re doing them a small kindness by acknowleding the generous intention. It doesn’t cost you anything to smile and say, “thanks,” and it doesn’t injure you for someone to hold the door for you. There are a lot worse things they could do to you.

What about people serving espresso in paper cups, even though they go through the trouble of making their coffee shop look fancy and high end?

What else are they going to serve it in? Are they going to give away china?

Sure, why not?. Restaurants and bars do it, why can’t they?

They don’t give it away to keep. A coffee shop does mostly to-go orders.

They don’t know you’re staying unless you tell them. The default is to-go. If you want it in a mug, just ask. It also has to do with what size you order. If you order the extra-huge-large-venti-enormous size, that may only be available in paper. In-house mugs are usually regular-medium sized.

To the OP: Drink some first or ask the barista to cap it for you.

Re: door holders:

Whenever that happens to me, I do a little* go on, go on, don’t wait for me *hand wave. It usually works.

Yep. I serve beer and lattes, and ‘those’ customers complain if you don’t fill things to the brim. :rolleyes: Not everyone of course, but enough that it’s common practice to overfill.

I put the lids on capps and lattes myself, that way I can clean any foam that ends up on the lid or cup before I give it to the customer.