Papers, Please

I picked this up earlier this week and have been…engaged. I don’t enjoy it, per se, but it is engaging. It sucks up way more time than I would expect, as I’m compelled to follow the narrative and try to “win” but I don’t find the actual gameplay enjoyable so much as stressful.

Apparently there’s twenty “endings.” I’ve only gotten the one previously mentioned (fail state) where:

my entire family died and I was fired for not having a family, as Arztotska boarder officials need to have families for PR reasons.

This time, I’m trying to be as good as possible. Playing mostly by the book, but trying to help people who make a convincing case. Not accepting bribes, keeping my family fed and heated. I’m in early December now, but I’m sure that it’s going to get much, much harder to look out for the family while still being a “good” person.

I thought you only got the option to detain if they did something overtly wrong, like had contraband or something. I didn’t think the detain option came up for simple document or story inconsistencies. Also, when you say “kick them out” are you referring to detaining them or just giving the red stamp? If you deny someone who is cleared for entry, you get a citation.

On that topic, how does payment work? Do you get paid by total number of applicants processed or number of green stamps? Do you get paid for interrogating someone and citing a rule? Do you get cited for detaining someone who is cleared for entry (if that’s even possible)?

Do you get paid for someone you incorrectly green stamp? That would make green stamping a few “wrong” people a viable strategy as long as you didn’t do so many that you got fined.