Peanut Butter and Maple Syrup Sandwiches

one of my Aunt’s used to always eat peanut butter and mayo sandwiches - sounds icky to me.

PB and anything sweet sounds good.

my Mom’s all time favorite thing to eat was peanut butter, honey and velveeta cheese sandwich.

the “cheese” is salty and the total taste was awesome, as I recall.

I’m willing to try anything and everything with peanut butter. And I love maple syrup too.

No, I don’t feel those two ingredients work well in combination. I don’t go for peanut butter and honey either. But cream cheese and maple syrup or cream cheese and honey is good.

Even this? :eek:

When I was in elementary school in SE Georgia (shortly after dirt was invented,) PB & syrup sandwiches always accompanied vegetable soup. Not my favorite, but not terrible. My stepdad (from West Virginia) apparently grew up eating the same combo, and still wants a PB&S when Mom makes vegetable soup or chili con carne.

I’ve had peanut butter and honey many times.

I’d guess peanut butter and maple syrup would be ok too. I’d try it.

Sounds way too sweet for me, sorry. :frowning:

Never heard of it, but I would eat the fuck out of that.

I had never tried it until I came to Japan and JpnGal ate her toast with PB and maple syrup. She said she’d been doing that since she was a kid. Go figure.

Just as an FYI, a 12 oz. jar of Skippy peanut butter costs around JPY300 (US$3.80) in Japanese supermarkets. A bottle of real Canadian maple syrup is about JPY1000 (US$12.75).

My mom used to make what she called “peanut butter fondue” that was created by stirring peanut butter and fake maple syrup together. She’d then tear white bread into strips and dip’n’eat. I know I used to eat it as a small child, but found it disgustingly sweet even before I had turned 10.

This wasn’t a poll when I posted this! Ergo, my confusion on “opinions.” carry on!

It’s not nearly so messy if you mix it up first. In fact, I suggest that for all syrup-and-paste-based sandwiches*. I also suggest that you mix syrup with your batter for pancakes if you find topping them too messy (or too sweet).

*The ultimate in “better than it sounds.”

*Delicious! *My sister introduced this to me when we were kids back in the 70s although we pre-mixed the PB and syrup into a creamy texture was easily spread onto the sandwich. Now, once in a blue moon, if I’m craving something sweet I’ll make a small amount of this to spread thinly on crackers.

You can buy a mkixed peanut butter/maple syrup spread. MiliCal loves it.

There are plenty of other tastes you can combine with maple syrup. we were in Vermont last weekend, and sampled maple syrup with vanilla (delicious!), with cinnamon (also good), and with jalapeno pepper and cayenne 9makes a great marinade/glaze)

I might try it with natural, sugarless, peanut butter. With the regular Jif or Skippy stuff? I’ll pass. That stuff is already sweet as hell as it is. I tend to go the savory route with my peanut butter, anyway. Hot peppers, onions, pickles, that sort of thing.

A good source of all things maple and sweet, BTW: The Best of Vermont from The Vermont Country Store to your door!

A little too sickly-sweet for me. But what do I know? I’ve eaten peanut butter and mini-chocolate chip sandwiches before. I haven’t done that in years, though, and it wasn’t a regular habit.

I’m not a huge maple fan.

Never tried it as a sandwich but I used to mix the PB and syrup together and then spread the combo on a single piece of toast. Pretty yummy in the tummy IMHO. Turning it into a sandwich is an obvious choice.

You just took me back to my childhood. My cousin T---- introduced me to peanut butter syrup when I was maybe 6; we had PBS sandwiches regularly after that. I don’t think I ever had one as an adult, though, and probably never shall. Stupid diabetes.

In New Orleans, my mom used Steen’s Cane Syrup to mix with peanut butter. I seem to be the only one in my family who liked it enough to continue doing it.