peeing with a tampon in

Another reason to be thankful for menopause!

On the cup issue: I cannot use Instead, it’s too big and will not tuck up behind by pubic bone.

However, a diaphragm (they’re sized) works just as well.

Now there’s a username/post topic combo for the ages!

Depends on the person. I’m a registered nurse, and have had to insert foley catheters in many women over the years. It’s rare but not unusual for the opening to the urethra being VERY close to the vagina; so close, it’s on the verge of being right on the top of the entrance to the vagina. So for those of you who have this type of anatomy do not worry about being abnormal. It’s a natural variation of human anatomy.

This. Duh.

I got mine off of e-bay, and it was mailed straight from the factory in China. It took about five weeks to get here, but you can’t beat the price $5 got me one of each size, including shipping. I do still use pads on the heavy days, just in case.

example: menstrual cup for sale | eBay

I’d like to encourage all female Dopers reading this to use the phrase “fossicking around in your flaps” whenever possible, and let’s all agree to refuse explanation to the males. :wink:

As for the OP, when I use a tampon I change it every time I pee. With the cup, there’s no need as it sits (and stays) further up the channel.

[insert zombie tampon joke here]

So I’ve been using the menstrual cup for many years now - first The Keeper, and then when I somehow lost it while camping (I swear, it fell out of my gear, I wasn’t using it at the time!) I got a Diva Cup and…I’ve never been able to spin either of them. Doesn’t seem to make a functional difference, as long as it opens fully. I just sorta cram it up in there and do a little pelvic wiggle as I stand up and I can feel a little “pop!” and the job is done.

Oh, but don’t ever try to take one out while you’re standing. You have to be sitting or squatting - at least, I do. For some anatomical reason I just don’t understand, it won’t work standing. Not even with vice-grips. Ask me how I know.

I tried tampons when I was younger, and bled right past them. Tried different sizes, brands, didn’t help. I’d bleed everywhere, and that tampon would come out maybe with thin candy stripes, but nowise looking like it had been putting any effort into soaking up any serious blood. I guess I just have thick endometrium. I used to get a lot of clots when I was younger, especially before I’d had a baby. Slices of liver.

When I want to ride a bike or go swimming-- well, pretty much I avoid swimming pools-- but sometimes the boychik really wants me to take him-- I use an old diaphragm. But I’m on a clock. I have about 90 minutes before I start leaking. I use a panty shield if I’m biking. I really prefer pads, though, and it’s because I still get the clots sometimes. I don’t like to think of the backup that the diaphragm might be causing. I like to give everything the chance to get OUT as quickly as it possibly can. I change pads a lot to avoid odor, and sometimes take an extra mid-day bath or shower on my really heavy days. I realize not everyone can do that, though.

WHEN? when does it happen? I’m forty-seven, and regular as a goddam atomic clock. Not a single hot flash, or night sweat, nothing. I am so ready for this to be over. I am NOT having another baby, and I would love not to have to deal with birth control. I feel stupid buying birth control and menstrual supplies, because everyone else in that aisle could be my daughter. I guess maybe they think I’m buying it for my daughter, which is OK for the pads, but a little weird for the contraceptive gel.

I was going to suggest the OMG forum, but TMI works, and would probably get a fair share of posts that truly belong there.

zombie or no

if you do then you’re in all over the place.

tuck the rip cord in for the moment.

I tried the instead cup. It was too big, I couldn’t get it in place properly, and it just didn’t work for me. I tend to not use tampons, but when I do, I just change it when I go to the bathroom.

Arrrghhhh! I hate it when this happens! :mad:
:o

^Like

And then deal with the aftermath, especially in public restrooms.

Or remove a zombie tampon.

Did you ever read the directions that come with tampons? They say that if you are having trouble inserting, try lying down. There’s a helpful illustration (at least, there was the last time I bought a box, which was a while ago). Yes, I’m going to lie down on the floor of a public restroom to insert a tampon.

Oh, BTW, story, I know a woman who laughed at a really funny joke, and shot out her tampon. No, she was not wearing underwear. Nevermind why, let’s just say “womyn,” and “music” and “festivals” were involved, and it was August. It shot out about four feet. I am not making this up.

Aren’t you supposed to rinse it out before you reinstall it? I’m not really keen on toddling out to the sink with my pants around my ankles.

:smack:

Cups yes, but tampons are out once they’re out.

I keep them on until I have to change them, so just hold the string to the side.

Occasionally one may come out during use, but that is rare and hasn’t happened in years… Um… longer than this thread has been around.

the longer thread is to aid in removal.