People who don't hang up the phone quick enough (lame rant)

I was talking to mom on the phone. Me on my cell, her on her cell. I didn’t get off fast enough to suit her, and the next time she hinted, my hands were full of children and I could not hang up just then. She meant to hang up, but didn’t…and turned to my dad in the car and said in a scathing tone, “I swear, she’s as hard to get off the phone as her brother.” (The brother in question requiring the equivalent of ‘blow me up, Tom!’ to get him to hang up.)

I felt rather as if I’d picked up an unmarked book and read it, and found to my alarm and dismay that it was someone’s private diary…and what they really thought of me.

Hurts. Sure doesn’t make me want to give her a call again any time soon, lest I re-offend. On the other hand, I don’t want to call her up and discuss it, since if she’d meant me to hear that, she’d have said it directly instead of (what she thought was) behind my back.

I know this is lame. But this is not the first time I’ve had this happen (with other people). Yeah, I’ll work on being better about hanging up. But mostly, I’ll just be insecure as hell every time I’m on the phone, for fear I’m offending people and just not able to clue in.

“Blow me up, Tom”?

What’s stopping the people who complain about this from saying goodbye and hanging up their own phone? Did I miss something, or am I reading this wrong?

I think you missed this detail: “…could not hang up just then, as my hands were full of children.”

Ordinarily, of course, that would not be the case, but it happened to be that time.

Let me get this straight, the problem is with people who finish a phone conversation, say good-bye, and then don’t (for whatever reason) turn off or hang up their phone?

Do you have some odd phone service that forces the line to stay open until both sides hang up? Because I’m not getting how this would be a bother to anyone unless they’ve got a compulsion about staying on the line until they hear the other end cut off.

“Well, anyway…”

“Okay, I’ll let you go now…”

“Well, it’s been nice talking to you…”

“I have to take care of some things…”

“Can this conversation fucking end already?”

I’ve been trapped in conversations where the other person kept blithering on and I couldn’t escape, despite dropping numerous hints. Is that the issue at hand, because otherwise I don’t understand the OP’s problem.

I think you missed the point that your mom could have hung up her own phone whether you had your hands full or not.

Next time you talk to her, while she’s in mid-sentence, say “OKbyeclickhum.” Tee hee! That’ll show her!

It’s not exactly the OPs problem, if I’m reading it correctly, it’s her mom’s problem. The OP is the one who, in the opinion of her mother, didn’t hang up the phone quick enough. The OP was unfortunate enough to hear her own mother say as much to her dad.

Ouch.

But it also occurs to me (not to get all Freud on you) that you’ve essentially Pitted yourself for something you did which your mom thinks is wrong, but you don’t. Here, have a little helping of “I love you Mom, but fuck off” from me.

For what its worth, if the scenario was what **Bryan **describes then yes, learn to listen to the audio clues that the other person is done with the conversation and wrap it up. But if the conversation was OK and your mom’s just upset you didn’t hit the little red button fast enough? Say it with me now, “I love you Mom, but fuck off.”

This is slightly off topic but Australia seems to have just such a bizarre phone system.

If you ring me on land line and after talking, I hang up but you don’t, the connection will still be open when I next pick up the phone.

Land lines here in the U.S. are the same, but cellphones are not.

Maybe your mom thinks cellphones work the same as landlines?

I read this as:

Mother and daughter(?) on phone. Conversation ends. Daughter can’t hang up right away; mother doesn’t hang up properly. Mother comments to father that daughter talks too much on phone and doesn’t know when to say goodbye, probably thinking conversation is ended and daughter can’t hear. Daughter overhears as she didn’t hang up immediately, because her hands were full.

I’ll stay out of the dynamics of who should have done what and what should be done next time. Just trying to clear up the story.

Whahuh? I’ve never seen a land line that stayed open till both parties hung up. I’ve had a few instances where one phone or the other disconnected (cordless battery died, dropped phone, hit button by accident) and there was a lapse of several seconds before the little recording about if you want to make a call started up, but that’s about it.

South African phones are like that as well. I was at a friend’s house where a person had called and put the phone down without actually hanging up. Much time was spent yelling down the line, trying to get the guy to end the call so they could actually use their phone. :smack:

I’ve had a couple instances (southern MD about 10yrs ago if that makes any difference) of ending a conversation and hanging up on my end only to find when I go to make another call that the person I was talking to hasn’t hung up their phone properly (usually the handle not seated correctly). The little recorded voice will come on saying if “you’d like to make a call…” beep, beep, but this doesn’t continue for very long. After the recording ends there isn’t anything but a light buzzing meaning the line is still open. It was a small town so we’d usually call someone else close by and have them go tell the person to hang up the phone or just wait for them to realize the error. When I got a cellphone for the first time I was afraid that if I didn’t make sure the other person hung up first I’d have the same problem with my cellphone line being tied up and possibly incur more charges.

I find it weird that a system would be developed like that. It seems it may be the norm rather than the exception though. In NZ the line was dead as soon as someone hung up the phone.

I just want to commend the Tom Leykis reference. Carry on.
Upon preview, I see that Biffy the Elephant Shrew didn’t understand the reference. Well Billy, on a national talk radio show, known as the Top Leykis show, Tom Leykis used to “blow up” (play the sound effect of an explosion) particulary stupid callers, which would then cease the call.

However, over the years, a trend has developed where, at the end of the call, the caller will actually ask Tom to “Blow me up”, turning this once insulting act (to the caller at least, as a listener it’s hilarious) into an act of endearment. You can even request particular way of being taken out such as “Jesus Christ style” or “JFK style”, etc. It makes way more sense if you actually hear it.

Obviously, it’s not a show for the easily offended.

Being taken out with the “Bong Hit” is my life goal. :smiley:

A noble goal, that. I’m partial to “Dale Earnhardt” style myself :smiley:

I guess I didn’t put that the right way. It seems that your mother complains about you not hanging up soon enough. I meant, what keeps her from hanging up her own phone. Then she wouldn’t have to worry about yours.

Of course, if yours works the way some people here are describing, that wouldn’t help, now would it? :slight_smile:

I picked up a system for dealing with a girlfriend who could–literally–talk on the phone for four or five hours each day with only minimal input from me. I would start to reply to her, then hang up in the middle of one of my own sentences. Oops, sorry, got disconnected.

I’ve done the same thing with my mom on occasion. My mom is one of those people who must relate every detail of her most recent activity, but lacks the storytelling skill to make the details interesting. Recently, she called, and I picked up the phone. For the next forty minutes, my part of the conversation consisted of non-committal responses–Oh, ok, I can see that–and such. After I hung up, my wife asked what Mom wanted to tell me (for some reason, my mom’s boring stories about her cats and adventures with car repair fascinate my wife).

Me: Her truck broke down. There was something wrong with the water hose. She got it fixed.

Mrs. Six: Oh. What else did she want?

Me: That was it.

Mrs. Six: Did she tell you how your new nephew is doing?

Me: We only talked for forty minutes. That was barely enough time for the truck story.