Perhaps this lady should diet? What a day she had.

BTW, that’s an accident that happens in less wealthy countries fairly often. In Colombia, I nearly stepped into a sidewalk elevator shaft, because theives had stolen the metal doors. It’s a serious, often deadly accident.

That makes a lot of sense. Ignorance fought, thank you.

The way it played out in my mind was that the lady told the EMT’s that her shoulder hurt and they instantly strapped her to a back board. Looking at that small hole, mech help would be needed.

My mother was killed when a fat person fell on her.

It’s moderately funny, although the OP ruined it.

But, has anyone looked at the pictures in the linked article? It looks like someone built a sidewalk over what used to be a below-ground-level entrance - you can see what looks like an old window in the space under the sidewalk that she fell into. The edge of the broken sidewalk looks incredibly thin, and unsupported. It’s no wonder she fell. I can’t imagine that is compliant with the building code.

Yeah, I was thinking there must’ve been something wrong with the sidewalk. Many obese people have walked down sidewalks before and not fallen through.

The other day I saw some black person choking on a chicken bone.

Isn’t that funny?

Hahaha…

:rolleyes:

Definitely a sidewalk should support more that 300 pounds. No question. Two people walking together could’ve suffered the same accident. Not to minimize the victim’s perdicament.

And no, not a funny story either.

What if it was a naked black guy unconcious in a coal mine and they couldn’t find him?

Or a naked white guy in a snowstorm?

Some people here seem to have forgotten the difference between tragedy and comedy.
Tragedy is when I cut my finger.
Comedy is when you fall through a sidewalk.

300 pounds *is *very heavy (pushing that much myself), but that doesn’t even begin to tap into the realm of “so freakishly rare that she can’t leave her house because a reasonable sidewalk wouldn’t be able to accommodate her.” I have had friends and full-time coworkers who are heavier than that and still quite mobile.

Truly you are the James Thurber of the new millenium.

And to think my high school shop teacher said I would never amount to anything! :slight_smile:

There is a series of commercials on right now, for subway (heh) - we’re they have moderately obese people popping buttons, breaking bycicles, tailgates of truckes when they “take one more bite” (don’t get me started on teh fact that the net mass on those items did not change just by virtue of the bite of food)…

Are those not meant to be humorous ‘reminders’ that we need to lose wieght less we bust something?

maybe she was getting ready to try out for the commercial?

One of the series is here

I find our world far from funny these days - if its a commercail, its funny and stuff - if we laugh when it happens “in real life” - shame on us - sheesh - too many fuckin’ rules.

Can’t speak for the OP, but mine would be “should’ve just filled in the hole.”

The article said that the hole appeared to connect to the restaurant’s basement, and the pictures certainly seem consistent with that. I wonder why she (or the EMTs helping her) didn’t try getting out that way? It seems like that would be both easier and safer.

And what was the crane-tripod mounted on? If it was just the intact portion of the sidewalk around the hole, I’d be worried that it wasn’t any stronger than the section that gave way, and might even be weaker due to being already compromised.

…and bear in mind it was a witness who claimed she was over 300 pounds. An of course the article is in the New York Post. She may very well have been half the size and she could have hurt her back: we don’t really know.

Obscure pop culture riff:

Bullwinkle: “I call this one ‘Man Eating a Sandwich in a White Room.’”

Rocky: “Where’s the sandwich?”

Bullwinkle: “He ate it.”

Rocky: “Where’s the man?”

Bullwinkle: “You don’t expect him to hang around once he’s done eating?”

Stuff like that is bound to happen when you eat Atomic Wings.

Oh hell, ducati, I’d laugh and help you get out.

Infrastructure longevity… it ain’t over until the fat lady sinks? I’m surprised this hadn’t happened earlier with a number of pedestrians impacted.