Perpetual neighborhood signs

Actually, there’s a sign that says “No Exit 4” on I-95 South in Rhode Island. (There is an Exit 5 in both directions–in fact, it’s complete cloverleaf.)

I remember this because there is a similar sign in Rhode Island I remember on Route 24 South in Tiverton that also said: “No Exit 4.”

So when my son was about 4 or 5 years old, and we were driving on those roads, I would always tell him to keep a sharp eye out for Exit 4, because that was our exit. :smiley:

I got him good a few times before he caught on. The first time, he was so upset, saying “Oh, no, Daddy! There’s no exit 4!”

As far as the DEAF CHILD signs, in the City of Riverside, California, there is a School for the Deaf. Many families find a way to relocate jobs and buy houses nearby, so their child does not have to live away from home. At one time or another, there have been deaf children living on the residential streets close to the school.

There is probably a permit process, like people obtaining handicap placards for their vehicles, the parents use to get a sign installed on their streets. With budge cuts these days, I would imagine there isn’t too much oversight as to where the signs are installed and whether or not they should be removed.

As someone who is hearing impaired myself, I think it’s a wonderful thing to have, a small token to allow a deaf child some semblance of normalcy in his or her life, to be able to run and play with the other kids in the neighborhood. A normal-hearing child might be able to hear a car approaching, but wouldn’t necessarily remember to watch out for the kid who cannot hear.
~VOW

Well, Interstates are actually state highways, not federal—but I know what you meant. Most of those sorts of “wrong shield” errors result when construction contractors put up temporary signage during a project.

NYC has finally given up and now has 6th Ave. signs as well as Ave of the Americas on 6th Ave. There is a street near where I live that is called Jean-Talon for several miles, then becomes Graham Blvd for exactly two blocks, then becomes Dresden for maybe a mile, then reverts to Jean-Talon till it finally ends a few miles on. Everyone calls it Jean-Talon for the entire length and the town finally gave up and posts that name under the official name.

I always saw it as a protest sign. Hmmm… there’s one of these down the street from my place, I wonder if adding a ! on the end will make it seem more protest-y.

End Construction!

Change it to “End Construction Now”

How many times were you paralyzed? (You must be REALLY unlucky)

:slight_smile:

(Hope that wasn’t in poor taste)

When I was a kid there was a street sign that said “hidden driveway ahead”. I always assumed that camouflaged under the leaves and grass was an entrance to some super-secret spy facility. The sign pointing it out seemed counterproductive.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/02/school-zone-sign-fury-1-sign-with-6-time-ranges-for-3-schools-too-much-for-detroit-area-drivers/

Many, many interstates still have sequential exit numbers. In New England, at least mileage-based numbering is very much the exception rather than the rule. I-87 and I-90 in New York state (better known as the the New York State Thruway and the Adirondack Northway), also use sequential numbering.

^Well, those were the kinds of roads I had in mind when I wrote “early superhighways and turnpikes.” Though the Lancaster Pike had milestones, it didn’t have exit signs.

4th Ave becomes Park Ave north of 14th street. On the East Side, there are other streets that run between the numbered avenues, which can lead to some confusion. It goes: 3rd Avenue, Lexington Ave, Park Ave, Madison Avenue, 5th Ave. So four blocks between 3rd and 5th.

On the West Side, all of the Avenues lose their numbers at 59th Street. 8th becomes Central Park West. 9th becomes Columbus. 10th becomes Amsterdam. 11th becomes West End Av. 12th becomes Henry Hudson Parkway. Some of them change again north of Central Park, when they enter Harlem.

“Ryan’s all grown up now. Let’s see if the Walkers will be willing to move in. Someone call them. Er, text them.”

Always cracked me up too. We had a dear friend move to a street with one of these signs and all had a chuckle. We then waited a couple of weeks before adding a same coloured / styled sign underneath it saying “The parents aren’t too bright either” and waited for our friend to notice it :smiley:

Okay, a taste of your own hijack and more.
Growing up in the San Fernando Valley about 45 years ago, State Route 118 didn’t even exist. When I graduated from high school, they were just beginning the process of bulldozing the path it would take. To get to Simi Valley, you had to drive through Santa Susannah Pass, a long winding road through the mountain. It went more-or-less right past Corriganville, a Wild West themed patch of dirt and movie-set buildings where they shot old Western TV shows. ETA: The stretch of Hollywood freeway through the Valley didn’t exist either. ETA[sup]2[/sup]: But some orange groves in the valley still did exist.

Somewhat-related anecdote:

I knew an American guy who lived and worked in Japan for decades, teaching English. One day he was driving west on some secondary road. As he continued west, the road got worse and worse - as in, huge potholes, sections of pavement missing, parts completely washed out. As he approached his destination, he saw a gate blocking the road, blocking eastbound traffic. He got out, let himself through the gate, and proceeded through, then took a look at the sign. It said, and I’m paraphrasing, “This road is closed due to extremely dangerous conditions.”

Placing and taking down those signs are usually the job of the local DPW or road department. They are not driving around looking for extra work to do. If you have a problem with a sign talk to your local government. The bosses are probably not even aware of it. Or they drive by it so much it has just become part of the background and no one notices anymore.

They warn us that the blind can drive in our neighborhood.

RI would benefit from more signs indicating things that don’t exist, like South County, and the town of Chariho.