Surreal Signs

I imagine this topic has been raised before, but I saw a sign that I wanted to tell you all about.

I was in Burger King with my son because he wanted some Cinna-Minis, those little cinnamon rolls they make. While waiting in line to order, I saw a sign in the restaurant advertising the aforementioned Cinna-minis, with the slogan, “Too Good to Be Just for Breakfast.”

Right below this, the sign read, “Available only during breakfast hours.”

Now, I have to wonder what Burger King’s customers are to make of this sign. Are they just tormenting us?

So now on to the topic. What other signs have you seen that made you do a double-take?
I also once saw one above a store that sold (so the sign said) “Liquor, Guns & Ammo.” Talk about your one-stop shopping!

Live a Lush Life
Da Chef

How about this one spotted in South Dakota?

Bait Sandwiches
Cold Beer Pool

Spotted at a MacDonald’s in Kissimmee, FL:

Egg McMuff

What’s next? Egg McBeaver?

::amazed at the line of men heading for Kissimmee::

Sign in small town in Northern WI:

Master Bait Shop

Countless examples in DC: Posted sign: Route 1 next left. Sign posted at next intersection: No left turn.

Mayors in DC like to plaster their names at the bottom every official looking sign in town, similar to the way a cat sprays to mark his territory. This resulted in the following amusing sign for a city parking garage: DC Convention Center Parking Lot, Attendant on duty- Mayor Sharon Pratt Kelly.

I snapped a picture of it.

A local city animal shelter had this sign outside:

“Spray-Neuter Clinic”

It has since been replaced, but I got a photo of it before that.

There used to be a street sign in south Minneapolis that read “E 62th St.”

Not 62nd, but 62th.

Actual printed newspaper ad for a gunshop.

“Back to School Special”

Wishing all you at the SDMB Happy Xmas and a GREAT 2000 and beyond!

I forgot - in front of a local hunting equipment store

Limb Savers - Kid’s Cammo

Reminds me of the Onion story about the 8 year old boy who accidentally exercised his 2nd ammendment rights.

On a freeway in San Diego:

Cruise ships use airport exit

Has anyone actually seen a cruise ship on the freeway?

I used to have a picture downloaded of a Taco Bell sign (don’t know what city) that read:

Now Hiring - All Shits

Too funny!

“The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you’re still a rat.” – Lily Tomlin

*opus: Mayors in DC like to plaster their names at the bottom every official looking sign in town, similar to the way a cat sprays to mark his territory. This resulted in the following amusing sign for a city parking garage: DC Convention Center Parking Lot, Attendant on duty- Mayor Sharon Pratt Kelly.

I snapped a picture of it.*

Maybe she was trying to raise money to pay for her new digs at 1 Judiciary Sq. :slight_smile:

I noticed that they haven’t replaced the sign heading in to DC from Rosslyn. There’s still the blank stone that held Barry’s sign during his first run at mayor. I don’t think Kelly put one up, and neither Barry (2) nor Williams have put anything up.

Here’s one that’s been puzzling Bay Area drivers for many years:
http://milkyway.ssl.berkeley.edu/davea/porosity.html

I’ve mentioned this before but we have several instances here at work of signs on the doors to the ladies rooms that read:

Use Caution When Opening
Women

“If ignorance were corn flakes, you’d be General Mills.”
Cecil Adams
The Straight Dope

These guys claim it’s true. I’m gonna reserve judgement, though.
http://absurdgallery.com/postcard/bunghole.html

“There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.”
~P.J. O’Rourke~

A business along a freeway here in MI: Quality Screw Products

This was a while ago; I don’t know if its still there.

It is too clear, and so it is hard to see.

The “stop casting porosity” one is a hoot – is it a protest sign or what? Going the other way on the same highway (880 South) as you approach Hayward one of the exit signs is oddly worded. They MEAN “exit here to get to “A” Street and downtown.” What the sign actually says is:

A Street
Downtown

A steet downtown? That MIGHT be our exit, but could you be a bit more specific? (Or is it an advertisement for a Sinatra-type song?)

A favorite from a business back home in Mishawaka, IN:

Bait/Tackle
VCR Repair

Wha?

“There’s a snake in my boot!”

I saw this on a sign outside a church in Garfield Hts., OH last October:

“Kids’ Halloween Costume Party Saturday 5 PM. Come see Frankenstein, Dracula & Jesus”

I always wondered how those 3 got along.

There is a sign on one of the emergency exits at work that reads “DOOR IS ALARMED”. It’s perfectly normal until you consider that there is another meaning for the word “alarmed”.

Your Official Cat Goddess since 10/20/99.

“I get along well with everybody.” --I.M.F.

On hi-way 75, driving near McAlester, OK (prison town, also known as Big Mac), there is a surreal sign which reads…

Hitch-hikers may be escaping convicts.

another one later on says…

Keep doors locked. Do not slow down for pedestians.

Not funny like the others but it makes you feel like you’re in the Twilight Zone…

Petite Chouchou

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.