Persephone Loses Her Jaegermesiter Virginity

Bah! I could drink yall under the table. Especially that UncleBeer guy. Once I had 3 beers, did 8 shots of everclear, 5 shots of Jaeger and smoked a blunt of sweet Hawaiian Kind. Everything after that was a major blurrr! ///:p////

Persephone-

The horrible wretchedness known as hangover is caused by a combination of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Actually, the electrolyte imbalance is probably caused by the dehydraytion- you pee all of your electrolytes away and are left with a headache and sick stomach. The salt and sugar are both electrolytes, and help restore the balance. Some potassium would also help, if you happen to have a banana handy and feel up to eating it.

Gatorade would probably work as well if not better, but most folks don’t happen to keep it in the fridge, they pick up a single serving bottle when they’re out jogging or whatever, and if you’re hung over, you’re probably not going to feel like running to 7-11.

shudder

The first and last time I ever passed out was doing shots of Goldschlager. At the time I thought it tasted fantastic, I’ve always loved cinnamon, and this was just the bee’s knees.

It was three months before I could even think the word cinnamon without hurling. Stay away from Goldschlager.

My one Jager memory is from college (of course): a bunch of me and my fellow rabble-rouser student-government exile friends were at a coalition building conference at UMass Amherst. The delegation from Framingham was hardcore, they brought their own Jager. I remember running down the hallway wearing overalls (not sure where I got them), frightening the caucus from some small town in Western Mass. All the while, my crew was singing “Danny Boy” at the top of their lungs, and all sorts of pro-union labor songs. The next morning, the head of the Qunisiggamond (a community college in the area) caucus was supposed to give a speech; his opening words were “I move to censure the delegation from Framingham for bringing Jagermeister to the conference…” His next words were “Please excuse me for a moment…” as he ran for the door. :wink:

No one drinks Ouzo straight, that I know of.
The anise flavour is very strong, so you wouldn’t want to anyway. It’s fairly high proof, but when mixed with a lot of water (dunno how much. to taste, say 6:1) makes a refreshing a pleasant drink.
Plus there’s that neat effect that as it gets mixed with the water, some of the ingredients precipitate out of the solution, making the drink go cloudy.
It’s really delicious! Possibly because as a child Grandma bought Syrop D’anise to mix with water on hot days - no doubt to turn me to liquor later. :smiley:

Welcome to Club Jaeger.

I personally have 4 bottles in my freezer, all sent/brought over by the german relatives. Apparently it is our fee for staying at our house, a bottle of green stuff. I also have a case of kumeling in my freezer too. Which is a great drink too, for the not so faint of heart.

Having imbibed more than my fair share of jager in the past, I do like it ( it’s comparable to Nyquil, in my book of tastes, which to me, Nyquil is the elixir of life and cures what ails ja while giving you a steady buzz if taken in a real shot glass.) I have not been roaring drunk or even comfortably numb in years ( due to a silly thing like the responsibilites of parenting).

But jager is nothing, to me compared to vodka. That stuff is toxic to my system.

Why is it served cold? I personally think it’s quite good, but since most establishments keep their liquor right there behind the bar, I’m used to drinking stuff that’s room temperature.

Just wondering!

Persephone, when it’s colder it’s smoother.

Jagermeister.

When I first moved down to where I am living now, my Uncle took me and my cousin up to his cabin. (His cabin is two-stories and about the size of a small house.) Well, when we showed up his heater wasn’t working. So to warm up he made everybody hot rum toddys. First time I’ve ever had that. Not bad, like hot chocolate. Well, a bit later one of his friends showed up, so we opened up the beer. Okay. Then some more of his friends showed up and he brought out the Jagermeister from the freezer. First time for Jager as well.

Anyway, as he’s opening it up, he turns to me and says, “Now the rule for Jagermeister is, once you open it up, you throw the cap away. You have to consume it all in one sitting.” We then proceeded to do just that. There must have been seven or eight people there, all drinking beer and Jager. A little later into the night he surprises everybody with another bottle of Jager. Since you have to consume it all in one sitting. . .

Luckily, my hangover wasn’t that bad.

Jagermeister is one of my favorite drinks. I don’t drink it very often, because of the bottle in one sitting rule. Thing about Jagermeister is that it always makes me really hyper. Most drinks make me happy and lethargic, Jager makes me want to jump around and break things. We all know what a lovely combination that is on a drunk.

On the subject of cinnamon drinks: If anybody ever tells you that refilling and empty Aftershock bottle with vodka makes it taste just like the original drink because of the crystals, don’t believe them. Let me tell you as warning, it does the first time. . .

Nothing like waking up to two gigantic rug burns across your abdomen. I couldn’t wear a shirt for a week. You couldn’t pay me to drink cinnamon flavored alcohol.

Kyberneticist said… “Plus there’s that neat effect that as it gets mixed with the water, some of the ingredients precipitate out of the solution, making the drink go cloudy.”

Okay, see, I don’t drink anything that has a freaky reaction to water, as in, oh, say, changing colors. Yipe! That scares me. Plus I hate the taste of licorice. What is Ouzo made of?

But Yager is a whole new kind of nasty. My sis shoots Yage like nobody’s business, but I cannot do it. I have tried. The taste made my eyelids invert. Reeeeal attractive –

One funny thing is that in the town where I grew up, you cannot buy cold cans or bottles of beer. But, you can buy freezer-cold bottles of Yage. Oh yes, I’d much rather a college student have a few swigs of cold Yage and drive.

The unhappiest stomach-after-drinking experience I’ve ever had (so far) is when I spent all night with some locals in the French Quarter drinking screwdrivers and some shots of Hot Damn – then later we were hungry so we bought some tacos from a bar. I didn’t spew, but I wanted to!

Vodka really does rule. With fresh oj, or cranapple juice (great for people who don’t like the taste of alcohol) or in a vodka collins. My cousin tried mixing it with apple juice, but it looked just like horse pee so I didn’t try it.

I once started an argument in a bar by declaring that I thought Jagermeister and Sambuca tasted similar. I was able to con several of the combatants into buying me a number of shots of each in order to conduct a taste test. Obviously this is the kind of thing you don’t want to decide too rashly, as it could have dire consequences for the possibility of future world peace.

BTW, I still think they taste similar. Somewhat.

A day late and a dollar short…

blessedwolf- Yep. It’ll float. I’ve found that Bacardi 151 will pretty much float in anything.

Amulet- Goldshlager can get pretty nasty after the second shot. You might want to try, I’m about to butcher the spelling here, Berrenschlager. It comes in a bee hive bottle and is pretty tasty, kind of like honey.

Kyberneticist- People do straight shots of Ouzo all the time. It’s a rarity to see someone ask for it mixed in water.

In my own personal experience, and the things I’ve witnessed behind the bar, Jaeger creates an ‘off’ kind of buzz. Average people who can usually get drunk without creating much of a problem will decide to take on a 350-lb bouncer after only a few shots of Jag.

Maybe in the States, but mixed with water is how the Greeks usually have it. BTW, when you combine Ouzo (clear) and water (clear), the resulting mixture is cloudy. Just like Pernod, the French equivalent, except Pernod is clear yellow.

Now, over here in the UK, absinthe is legal again. I haven’t tried any. Yet :wink:

I prefer Pedialyte (sp?) or the generic stuff at WalMart. Works a whole lot better.

That and good 'n greasy mexican food.

I tried the Jager thing back in the late 80’s. Three of us shared a bottle in about an hour. We were sitting around drinking beer and smoking a sack of taters when all just looked at each other and ran outside. In complete harmony, we sang a tribute to ralph.

Ummm…Cristi dear? Did you forget about all the Hot Damn you also drank? To be perfectly honest, even I had somewhat of a hangover myself, which has not happened in a long time I can assure you.

In any case, my remedy is quite simple. Drink a lot of water and spend most of the day sleeping the sleep of the dead. Worked wonders.

Ciao.

Shirley, kumeling? Is that a brand of kimmel, the caraway seed liquer? God, I love that stuff. Pour a couple ounces from a freezer-kept bottle and sip while eating a Rueben rye. De-fucking-licious.

The only time I didn’t go out drinking with my friends in Shepherdstown, WV, they all did shots of Jaeger and I believe that 5 of the six ended up kneeling in the restroom.

I tasted it and didn’t care for it.

this bar, though, has some kind of cold Jaegermeister dispenser. Interesting, but I was surprised that the stuff was popular enough Anywhere to warrant such a device, much less West Virginia.

Good to know that I’m not the only one on the board who knows about the fluid/electrolyte thing for hangovers. I guess the word is getting out. This is a good thing, because so many people are wasting their time with useless hangover cures. Pedialyte, huh? Maybe I’ll give it a try, I live right next to a Walgreen’s.

That green thing that holds like 3 inverted bottles?

Ok, the first and only time I’ve jumped off the Jagermeister cliff was about 6 years ago. I was visiting my best friend in Portland, Maine. She worked as a concert booking agent and set up the Mighty Mighty Bosstones at the State Theater. Our friends from Boston, a hardcore band called Honkeyball, were the opening act. I think it was someone’s birthday, so my friend and I got them a bottle of Jagger. We were all backstage and cracked open the bottle and started passing it around (it wasn’t quite cold enough but we’d had it in the fridge for a while). Man, that stuff was nasty! I quickly lost all control of myself. I excused myself to go to the bathroom and even asked one of the Bosstones to watch my purse (I think it was the guy that just dances around the stage the whole show) and luckily I knew the horn players from working their shows in Rochester. Anyway, after the show we all went to a local bar where I proceeded to flip out because I hated this one girl my friend was friends with, ended up making out with several band members and was almost kidnapped by the band back to Boston. I got out of that sticky situation into another one. I got into the girl-I-hated’s face and continued to scream and push and almost punched her until my friend came to the rescue. I wanted SO BAD to drive back to New York that night, I seriously didn’t feel drunk, just ANGRY! It was uncontrollable rage, I never want to feel that way again.

I’ll stick to the occasional shot of Lemon Drops, that’s about all I can handle these days! Hope you’re feeling better, Persephone!