PETA and the Biblical treatment of animals

This really isn’t a debate but wasn’t sure if this applied to GQ, but I ran across this article and thought it was kind of interesting: Animal Rights Group Invokes Biblical Commandment

Essentially, PETA is claiming that when the Bible says “Thou shalt not kill” as also applying to animals.

Now, in my limited understanding, doesn’t the Bible make reference to using animals for our use so long as our use is not wasteful?

I don’t know the Bible inside and out, but this seems a stretch…

(Mods place this where ever you feel is most appropriate, but this topic could fit so many places I wasn’t sure what to do with it!)

PETA is full of idiots. The actual translation for that verse is murder. Don’t get me wrong, I love animals. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. I have found homes for 5 strays in the past 2 years. I find the use of animals for trivial things like cosmetic testing repugnant. I say let the folks who are going to wear the stuff test it. However, PETA seems determined to be just as wacky as can be. They just started an add campain to encourage college students to drink beer, ( which is like urging fish to swim) the rational being that dairy cows are treated badly. They continue to urge mankind to be vegans- claiming that is how we were ment to be.They even say you should force your pets to do the same. Cecil debunked those myths [here {/url]and [url=http://www.straightdope.com/columns/960426.html] here](http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_087.html). I also can not oppose the legitimate use of animals for medical testing. I have a great cartoon on my wall. In it a patient is lying on the table, and the surgeon is standing next to him saying “since you’re an animal rights activist-I’m not going to use any modern medical techniques developed using animals.” He is holding a saw behind his back. We as a race have enough problems that need to be addressed before we have the luxury of worrying about how dogs are treated in Timor. With apologies to Wally-

PUTZ! ( PUTZES?, PUTZI?)

Cecil said it. I believe it. That settles it.

Here is the second link. Damn brackets!

Cecil said it. I believe it. That settles it.

weirddave, thanks for the link!

Gotta love Cecil!

I don’t have my Bible in front of me right now, but in the OT are there not exact instructions for performing animal sacrifices? And directions for performing these on certain occasions - like finding that you have been cured of leprosy? And are there not instructions for the kosher slaughtering of food animals?

If they really don’t want to eat animals, that’s fine, but they’re barking up the wrong tree if they want to use the Bible to back it up.

Besides - if everyone in America underwent an immediate change of heart - WHAT would be done with all the cows, pigs, chickens, and so forth that are being maintained at great expense in the expectation that they will be slaughtered and the meat sold? They really haven’t thought this through.

I don’t know about anyone else on this board, but I looooove a 1 inch thick tenderloin cooked medium rare covered in bearnaise sauce…lot’s o’ butter in that sauce! On the side a potato covered with sour cream, butter, chives and bacon bits; with a salad that has cheese, cucumbers, cottage cheese, ham and turkey with crumbled hard boiled egg with Italian dressing!

Now I am hungry, anyone wanna go to Outback?

Right on, wierddave! I got into it last fall with some of the board’s PETA members. I totally agree with you that the group is comprised of deranged imbeciles.

Frankly, I wish all PETA members would smear themselves with peanut butter and jelly, go to Yellowstone Park and feed the bears.

Please don’t start this as a flame…please, I was just pointing this out and thought it kind of pointless from what I know from my Christian relatives, we have discussed the use of animals and how it relates to the Bible.

OH…I forgot, what about their Buddists, Atheists, Theists and other members that aren’t Christian?

What about those people in their organization?

I don’t know, I always thought that most of the PETA campaigns are not designed to be taken literally, but to be thought-provoking.

The “milk sucks, drink beer” campaign is obviously meant to be taken humorously, as in “You think beer is bad for you? Well milk is even worse!”

Techchick, I cannot believe that you eat Italian dressing. Slaughtering poor innocent Italians just for the purposes of your salad. People like you make me sick.

::: Running off to the People for the Ethical Treatment of Italians meeting :::

Thanks Billdo,

After reading StrTrkr777’s post, I needed laugh…

Again prayer for Jeffery and his family…he needs it < still a little misty eyed >

Yes, there are quite specific instructions for slaughtering an animal for sacrifice and for food (kosher laws), and rules about what animals are ok to eat and not.

I’ve always thought the ‘P’ in PETA stood for Peyote. This is proof.

If you say it, mean it. If you mean it, do it.
If you do it, live it. If you live it, say it.

Joe Cool

You gotta love a woman who knows how to maintain a healthy diet. :slight_smile:

If you say it, mean it. If you mean it, do it.
If you do it, live it. If you live it, say it.

Joe Cool

Joe, I love your signature line. I’m going to write it down for my kid to ponder, if you don’t mind.

Heck, I’ll ponder it too.

The Bible definitely endorses the slaughter of animals for necessary purposes (including, as some have mentioned, purification rituals and sacrifices).

The Bible does, however, say that one should not cause animals to suffer, and tradition states that slaughter the Kosher way is in fact painless for the animal in question…it severs all nerve connections in a single swipe of the knife so the animal feels no pain.

“Thou shalt not kill” is the most misquoted line in the history of the universe. The actual hebrew verb used in that sentence means malicious murder…not “any causing of death.” The Bible endorses wars and executions.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@kozmo.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

I got no quarrel with them 'cong, or vegans for that matter. If you want to piss off a militant vegan send them to the other* P.E.T.A. site http://www.mtd.com/tasty/

*People Eating Tasty Animals

In regards to the treatment of dairy cattle, maybe I can shed some light on the subject.

My sister works at a dairy operation and while the cows don’t roam the open prairies of Iowa much, but they are not totally confined. A majority of the cows are kept in pens in large barns. The cows can move around in their pens and don’t walk on bare concrete. The floors are covered with some sort of fiber pad.

Each of the cows is milked three times a day. Beyond that, they don’t do much.

What’s really unethical is the treatment of the employees. They work six ten-hour days for $7.00 to $8.00 dollars an hour and because it’s a farm job, they don’t get overtime.

Hoo boy. A couple notes.

1. I like PETA. Yeah, they’re nuts, but they’re entertaining nuts.

2. They also have a campaign about how vegetarianism is important in Islam too. It’s also based on pretty much nothing.

3. The PETA campign, iirc, is that Jesus was a vegetarian. This is a bit dubious of a claim, since the Bible records Jesus eating fish, and feeding fish to 9000 people.

4. PETA isn’t really trying to get most people to believe that meat is unchristian. They’re just trying to bring attention to the issue. If they can be far out in left field (with techchick68 on the other side, I guess) then maybe society will end up somewhere in the middle.

5. Jewish law commands its followers not to commit murder. However, the Israelites were also commanded by God Himself, on several occasions, to kill every man, woman, and child in a given town, just because God thought the Israelites should have it. So commands like that always need context.

Your Quadell

Um, all animals on this planet are at the dominion of man. Period. Animals have no rights. Period. As human beings, we have a responsibility to treat animals ethically and humanely, because they cannot fend for themselves in the way that we can, but a dog or a cat or a cow or a pig does not have a right to be treated humanely in the same vein as my right to free speech or my right to a speedy trial. Jeez, John Locke would roll over in his grave if he were alive today and heard some of these arguments that are being espoused in our society.

As far as the bible:

Genesis 9:2-3

How can anyone argue otherwise against this?