Petula Clark song, title unknown

I heard this song of hers on KBIG, then a beautiful-music station, in Los Angeles, October 20, 1981, and recorded it.
Tonight, my love, (he) might, my love…
Tonight, tonight, we turn out the lights
And love again like we did back then…

Unfortunately, the Lyrics Find Internet site couldn’t pull it up. They had a song “Tonight We Love” by Paul Anka, but could not display the lyrics “because of copyright restrictions.”
Personally, I think Anka’s song is derived from Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto No. 1; there’s no connection between Tchaikovsky’s melody and the 3/4-time ballad Ms. Clark sang.
I might have keyed in more of the lyrics here but I know that if I dwell on the song I might start to cry, even though her song implies a situation that never existed for me in the first place… :frowning:

I did a fairly exhausted search on this (yeah, I’m bored, wanna make somethin’ of it?)and I’m left with one question: are you sure the song is by Petula Clark? I’m assuming that it was a popular song at one time because you heard it on the radio, but none of her greatest hits CDs (and there are several) have any songs on them that are even remotely close to these lyrics. One question that I can clear up: It’s not the Paul Anka song that you suggested. The lyrics for that song don’t match. If you could give us some more lyrics, that would be very helpful.

With the link, you have to click on “61” and then you’ll be able to find the song.

To Xanadu:
Well, it sure sounded like Petula Clark…
I played the tape back and got this:
I
Tonight, my love, keen night [??], I know,
He talked to me,
To tell me he’s been thinking of me;
I know this plan has changed his mind, oh,
He told me so,
That’s how I know he’s gonna love me,
(Chorus)
Tonight, we love, We turn out the light
And love, again, like we did back then,
We will start over tonight.

II
Tonight, my love, keen night, I know,
He’s at the door, I’ve waited for this chance to hold him,
At last I see, he’s needed me,
Imagine that, he’s coming back to live forever,

(Chorus)
…we will start over, we will start over, we will start over, tonight.
(I broke down a few times while keying this in…:frowning: )

I finally found out that the singer was not Petula Clark, but Barbara Mandrell. My mistake. :o

Well, THAT’S twelve years down the drain!

Well, it WAS worth it to find out…

Your ancient thread has exactly the right title, so I hope you don’t mind if I hijack it for my own purposes!

I heard a song ca. 1969 that I’m almost certain WAS Petula Clark. Now it’s been so long ago, obviously, that I can’t swear to this, but I think the DJ may have back-announced it, saying her name (and maybe even the title?).

Problem is, I never heard the song again! I remember thinking it was really great because it rocked a lot harder than most anything else she had ever done (and I LIKE the majority of her pop hits a great deal).

All of my efforts to find this song over the years have proven to be fruitless. After all this time, I suppose I can’t even be sure I’ll recognize it if I hear it again, but if anyone has some ideas, I’d love to at least entertain them.

I heard this on a Top 40 station, so it’s hard to believe it was an album cut. I suppose an adventurous DJ could have played a B-side. I’m pretty sure I’ve covered most of the A-sides she had out around this time…but it’s possible I missed something. In any case, as I listened to the radio a lot in those days, it would appear this was a song that wasn’t a hit for her.

Anyone?

This review says:

Best of all is the mid-'60s B-side “Heart” (covered by the Remains in America), a Clark original that’s her hardest-rocking cut, and proof that she could muster the energy to sing rock & roll convincingly on occasion.

YouTube

Thanks, but I’m very familiar with “Heart.” I actually heard The Remains’ version first, many years ago, on their Epic album. I’ve only more recently heard Petula’s version. It’s a great song, but definitely not the one I have in mind. That one not only rock but was up-tempo, whereas “Heart”'s tempo is a bit more stately.

Petula wrote “Heart,” by the way, as well as “You’re the One,” a US hit for The Vogues.

Good luck with your quest. To carry your slight hijack further afield, the first – and maybe only – time I heard the Osmonds do “Down By the Lazy River” on the radio, I went “Wow, that kicks pretty hard.”

However, while I like Petula Clark’s hits, I have no affection for anything else by the Osmonds. “One Bad Apple” was okay, but nothing special for me. A search for “Lazy River” on YouTube turned up a strange-funny clip from Dutch TV of the Utah boys with long hair, grinning, dancing, and lip-synching in frenetic fashion.

The Osmonds? That would have driven me away for sure…