Philly Cheesesteaks. What and where?

The original owner put up a sign in 2006

which was taken down by his son, and current owner, at some point ahead of the 2016 Democratic Convention

and seems to have stayed down.

Woo Hoo! I’ll remember that.

I would recommend Delassandro’s but you can’t go wrong with Jim’s.

The place that is often voted as the best is close but not in Philly. Donkey’s Place is across the river in Camden. Anthony Bourdain called it the best. In case you have heard about Camden’s reputation and were wondering, no it’s not in a good neighborhood. They have a couple of other newer locations in nearby suburbs. I don’t know if they have the same reputation.

Bring a posse with bazookas. Seriously, I think I read it’s getting a little better. The cops still line the streets on nights where there’s a concert at the Waterfront so us sissies feel safe driving in (though we’d usually take the ferry).

Pat’s and Gino’s is just fine for a visitor to go have the “Philly cheesesteak” experience. I’ve done both, they were exactly what I expected. I’ve also taken the local advice and gone to some “secret best cheesesteak spot” and been completely underwhelmed and disappointed. One of the best I’ve ever had was in the stupid Philly airport of all places. I’ve also had ones in Ohio that were better than most everything I’ve had in Philly.

It’s food. Everyone has an opinion. Your personal tastes will vary. Ignore the GateKeepers. I prefer meat, light onions, provolone, lettuce, and tomato but others would say I’m not eating a real cheesesteak. All I care about is that it tastes delicious.

The waterfront is fine and the downtown area near Rutgers-Camden is also good (at least during the day). When you are outside of those areas it gets dicey real quick. To be fair, so does Philly.

Hey, when you need some crack quick, you take your chances.

Ok, so I’m going to be in Philly this weekend, with a group of 20 Scouts. We plan to make a quick stop to tour Independence Hall before continuing home. Any thoughts on a place for us to get a bunch of cheesesteaks walking distance from the Liberty Bell? We are NOT planning to take a big rented van down to Pat’s, we’re finding a safe place to park and not moving it again until we are headed back to Jersey.

User name checks out.

Hah! I lived in Philadelphia for 4 1/2 years, in an apartment in Landsdowne. On 3 or 4 occasions I attempted to see the Liberty Bell, but each time got diverted due to one-way streets in the area. Good luck seeing the bell!

I liked Pat’s. Didn’t like Geno’s. And didn’t like Jim’s, but it was better than Geno’s. That was my first visit before I branched out. It could be the beef. I believe Jim’s uses top round, and Pat’s and Genos uses ribeye. (Actually, that wouldn’t explain as I didn’t like Geno’s. Ribeye has more beefy flavor than top round.)

Near Independence Hall? I haven’t been there in years. Maybe Campo’s or Sonny’s? Sonny’s is right next to Mac’s Tavern owned by the Alway Sunny people.

If you are parking and walking, just go to Reading Terminal Market. You can get a great cheesesteak in there (Spataro’s) plus whatever else a scout could fancy. If you are going to be in downtown Philly and for a day only, RTM is a no-brainer.

Isn’t that like 6-8 blocks? Might be a bit much while wrangling 20 scouts.

It’s a 15 minute walk. I think a bunch of scouts can handle that hike.

Physically sure. But will there be 20 when they get back? It’s the adults I’m worried about.

These are the teenage scouts, not the little ones, that walk should be a-ok for our group.

independence hall is at 5th and market.

campo’s is at 2nd and market, 2-3 blocks east.
sonny’s is at 2nd and market same as above.

or you could just get them at a cart.

Heh. I see there’s a Jersey Mike’s in the Amtrak station. That’s a national chain with over 2500 locations so, unless there isn’t one near you, I wouldn’t bother visiting one in Philadelphia. The ones I’ve been to or had DoorDash deliver for here in Northern Virginia are quite good.

I actually do like the #15 from Jersey Mike’s but the sandwich I had in the Philly airport was at Chickie’s & Petes.