Pick a sitcom

Woody gets a job as a TV spokesman for a new health drink “Veggie Boy” but has guilt issues when he later finds out he can’t stand the taste of the stuff. Frasier hypnotizes Woody into liking it and hilarity ensues when the product is discontinued (it seems Woody’s intellect is highly susceptible to suggestion). Subplot involves trivia napkins in bar that the patrons find more interesting/informative than Cliffy.

Memorable scenes/quotes:
The gang gathers around the product listing the ingrediants and making faces when they get to “kale”. Frasier tries a glass, makes a face and in his dry, scholarly manner says: “Kale was not a good choice”. Later after Woody has been hypnotized and now likes it, he takes a sip and goes: “Mmmmm. You can really taste the kale!” (two quotes I use to this day, substituting whatever ingredient for kale).

After finding out it has been discontiued, Woody panicks as he now loves the stuff and is addicted to it, and is reading the ingredients trying to figure out how to reverse engineer it. Frasier is trying to get him back into Sam’s office to undo the hypnosis, Woody is frantic trying to grab all the remaing bottles and goes: “Get that watch away from me old man, I’ve got crops to plant”.

Lilith adds a snide: “Way to go, Dr. Mesmer” (or something like that), Frasier says something inadvertently back to her and she stands up and start singing “Tomorrow, Tomorrow” (I think) as Frasier had previously hypnotised her and she had claimed she wasn’t “suggestable”.

May be my all time favorite episode of ANY sitcom.

Blackadder II: "Bells"

Edmund falls in love with his new manservant “Bob,” who he doesn’t realize is actually a woman in disguise. Has to be the funniest episode of the funniest Blackadder series.
(Baldrick has just been shot with an arrow)
Edmund: Bad luck, Balders.
Baldrick: Not to worry my lord, the arrow didn’t in fact enter my body.
Edmund: Oh good.
Baldrick: No, by a thousand to one chance my willy got in the way.
Edmund: Extraordinary.

Doctor: Now then, what seems to be the trouble?
Edmund: Well, it’s my manservant.
Doctor: I see. Well, don’t be embarrassed if you got the pox. Just pop your, ah, “manservant” on the table and we’ll take a look at him.

Edmund (having asked a young woman for directions): Thank you, young crone. Here is a purse of monies—which I’m not going to give to you.

Flashheart: Nursie! I like it firm and fruity! Am I pleased to see you or did I just put a canoe in my pocket? Down boy, down!

Flashheart: I’ve got a plan! And it’s as hot—as my pants!!

Ah, Murphy. My hero. My favorite is the ep opening with Dan Quayle’s famous speech about Hollywood glorifying single mother hood, showing “glamorous women, like Murphy Brown…” And she’s sitting there with her hair skewed everywhere, no sleep in three days, no makeup, spit up on her robe with her mouth agape while Avery is fussing. She looks at Frank and says “What planet is he on? Look at me Frank, am I glamorous?” And he says “C’mon, Murph. It’s Dan Quayle! Next week he’ll trip over his golf club and everyone will forget about this.”

The midnight delivery of potatoes to the front gate of the VP residence was priceless.

For a single episode, in my opinion nothing can beat Fawlty Towers: The Germans. This has so much more in it than just the Germans.

• Sybil in hospital and all the insulting exchanges between Basil and the medical staff

• Basil’s attempts to put up the Moose, including his most spectacular prat fall

• the Moose ‘talking’ to the Major (“I can speak Eeeengleesh. I learn it from a booook”)

• the fire drill

plus, eventually, Basil’s encounters with the Germans. All in about 27 minutes of air time.

[nitpick]Lochdale your quote is inaccurate and also alters history! The German guest is angrily imploring Basil to stop telling jokes that mention the war.

Basil Fawlty: Is something wrong?
German: Will you please stop talking about the war?
Basil Fawlty: Me? You started it.
German: We did not.
Basil Fawlty: Yes you did, you invaded Poland.
[/nitpick]

I’d also like to nominate Seinfeld, and an episode that nobody else ever cites, namely** ‘The Lip Reader’** (Season 5, episode 6). This contains George’s magnificent speech concerning the ‘It’s not you, it’s me’ line used for break-ups, among many other highlights and neat lines.

Sanford & Son- A friend of Fred’s dies so he assembles the gang (Grady, Bubba, Slick, etc.) to have a wild evening in the friend’s memory. They invite “Fast Fanny” from the bowling alley and some of her friends (after vetoing “the Butt Sisters” because “We want a party, not a freak show!”). What makes the episode is when Fred and the guys decide to do Wham- great moment I could watch on a loop. Don’t ask me why.

And Elaine: “Don’t you see what’s happening?? I’m becoming George!!”

Taxi–the episode where Jim becomes Jim. They show him all straight laced, going to college, and in the dorm someone offers him a joint. At first he refuses, but then figures he’ll give it a try. It was so funny because you could see the instant transformation.

Taxi–the one where Latka gets everyone hooked on his “Famous” cookies that actually contain cocaine. “I want to be famous like the Famous Amos.” lol.

There’s just no good drug humor in sitcoms anymore. :smiley:

And that someone was… a young (pre Bosom Buddies) Tom Hanks.

I still say that the single best scene in Fawlty Towers (and perhaps any sitcom) is in the episode “Communication Problems”, when the fearsome old lady is complaining about her room:

Old battleaxe: When I pay for a view, I expect something more interesting than that.
Basil Fawlty: That is Torquay, madam.
OB: It’s not good enough.
Basil: Well, might I ask what you were expecting to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the…
OB: Don’t be silly. I expect to be able to see the sea.
Basil: You can see the sea. It’s over there between the land and the sky.
OB: I’d need a telescope to see that.
Basil: Well, may I suggest that you move to a hotel closer to the sea? Or preferably in it.

Yes!!! I remembered that after I made the post. What a great episode.

This thread is making me all smiley. I’m a dork :smiley:

It was such a great gag, that they basically copied it for Barney in the Simpsons.

Jim

My favorite line from that episode is when everyone else is in the kitchen but DJ…
“He’s been in the bathroom for like an hour.”
“That means he’s either really bad at it…or really good.”
My favorite Roseanne is the one where Dan and Jackie end up stuck together somewhere and through the course of the episode it comes out that Dan and Jackie actually really liked each other in high school and (forgive me if this is inaccurate but is how I remember it) when he called to ask Jackie out for a date, he mistook Roseanne’s voice for Jackies. And that’s how he and Roseanne ended up together.

Second favorite is the episode where Dan beats up Booker for pushing Jackie around…

Dan Connor is probably the greatest male sitcom character ever.

It wasn’t Booker he beat up - it was Fisher - but that was an excellent episode - it gave us deep insight into Jackie

That may have been the funniest episode of any sitcom, ever.

“Is he doing that already? But he’s so young!”
“Maybe he’s gifted…”

I think this is my favorite sit-com episode ever. It still makes me laugh out loud every time I see it, and I know it practically by heart.

It’s a Frazier episode. I don’t know the name of it, but it’s the one with the exploding hot-shaving-foam machine that Martin doesn’t want to throw away, and Niles is freaking out about having signed the divorce papers from Maris. This episode is a masterpiece of pacing, building up from a normal beginning to the wonderful climax. (Spoiler below, don’t read on if you haven’t seen this episode)

Niles, distraught over the divorce, rushes into the bathroom upstage right.

Frazier: Niles, come out of there!

(Small explosion - could it be a gunshot?)

Frazier: Niles! Niles!

Pause. Door to bathroom opens slowly. Niles walks out, covered in shaving cream.

Niles: I feel hot … and foamy.

Well, you have to experience the whole episode to feel the full impact. I’m not conveying it as well as I would like.

Les Nessman giving the on site reporting of the WKRP turkey drop is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

“They’re hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!”

-Les

“As God is my witness I thought turkeys could fly.”

-Arthur (big guy) Carlson in the closing scene.

That was one of the all time greats.

I love the Barney Miller Episode when Wojo brings in Brownies his Girlfriend baked. Every has some except for Barney. Turns out they are Hash Brownies.
Yemana is getting very silly at his desk and saying “Mushy, Mushy, Mushy”
Fish chased down a young purse snatcher and leaped buildings. When he found out it was Hash he complained “Figures, I finally find somethings that makes me feel good for the first time in 20 years and it is illegal”.
I wish I could relate more of this classic, it was a great great show, the highpoint of a show that never jumped the shark.

Jim

Can someone do justice to **Edith’s Accident ** on All in the Family? It involved a Can of Cling Peaches in heavy Syrup and a priest. It was amazingly funny and I haven’t seen it in almost 30 years. Someone must remember this one well.

All I remember is Archie saying he was sick of hearing “cling peaches” so the next time Edith told the story and she got to that part, Archie gave her a look, so she said “a can of mmm-mm-mmm in heavy syrup”

Just Shoot Me is not one of my favorite sit-coms but the one where David Cross plays Elliot’s brother who has pretended to be brain damaged for years just so he could. . . loaf around forever.

“Chicken pot, chicke pot, chicken pot pieee!”
“Vacuum!”

You had to have seen it.