Pick apart your favorite Twin Peaks elements and geek out with us

My recent thread comparing weirdness levels of Twin Peaks to LOST [currently TP wins, but LOST seems to be striving to achieve) it seems like there are a fair amount of people here who watched and appreciated Twin Peaks. The full series is out as a boxed DVD set and I thought it might be fun to explore pet theories about wtf was actually going on in some of that stuff.

Anyone up for it?

Or for sharing your favorite weird moment/freak out moment/random thing?

Try to figure out what made David Lynch do some of the things he did (especially ending the show–was that just a petulant hissy fit for having it canceled?)…

Seems like it could be a fun sort of free-form Twin Peaks geek-out.

There will be pie, of course. And strong black joe.

::: courtesy bump :::

If I’m posting, then we’re starting small. I only saw a couple of episodes. But one camera shot stayed with me.

In the beginning, it looked like a back-up shot down a pale-walled tunnel. There were voices. When the viewpoint exited the tunnel, the camera slowly zoomed out, while still travelling back, and the tunnel was revealed to be one hole in an acoustic tile. The voices go on, becoming the police (FBI) interrogating a man that the camera eventually zooms back enough to focus on. He is just sitting there, not responding to any of the questions. I think the man was Laura’s Father.

I can’t think of any other way to more clearly show his state of mind. He was just obviously not there.

The Pilot episode is the greatest Pilot in the hisgtory of .

“She’s dead…wrapped in plastic.”

The strangest moment in the history of television has to be Agent Cooper’s dream in which Laura Palmer & the “Little Man from Another Place” converse with him in (what is later revealed to be) the Black Lodge. Laura tells Cooper who her killer was, but he promptly forgets the name as soon as he wakes up.

“The owls are not what they seem.”

I want to know about that cave painting stuff. It seemed awfully elaborate, with moving parts and all… but all it seemed to end up being was a map to where the gateway was to the White/Black Lodge? Was there more to it that I missed, or was that something that David Lynch never got around to fleshing out, or what?

I don’t think Lynch was very much involved with the show at that point, as he was working on Fire Walk with Me. Very little of what happens in the second half of season two (with the exception of the last episode) is consistent with Lynchworld. The weirdness in David Lynch movies comes from the fact that people’s inner feelings, emotions, etc. take form, materialize. It’s surrealism, not supernaturalism. That’s what I feel the later writers completely failed to grasp about the show. It wasn’t a show about native american spirits and genius serial murderers. It was a show about a bad things happening in a small town. Why did it happen? How did it affect the lives of the townsfolk? You can remove all the weirdness and the story should still hold. However, when the show stopped being about Laura Palmer, it started running all over the place like a headless chicken.

I didn’t realize he wasn’t involved at that point. That does explain a lot.

Gathering “clues” by throwing rocks at a map of Tibet was pretty damned weird.

But Audrey auditioning for the One Eyed Jacks’ staff by tying a cherry stem in a knot with her tongue was hands-down my favorite part. :smiley:

I just bought the DVDs of the complete series, I can’t wait to just park myself down and watch it all… The moments I remember the most:

• The first time the log lady had someone ask the log a direct question, man that was so Lynch

• The first time seeing Bob (hmmm or was it when he attacked the cousin)… I remember jumping out of my skin

I’m sure as I watch the series again, more things will come to mind!

The rocks were thrown at a glass bottle. The map of Tibet was hanging on a chalk board and didn’t have anything thrown at it.

The scene in which Laura’s killer is revealed remains for me the single most disturbing scene ever aired. I can’t think of another scene that even comes close. Even the “Kimberly pulls her wig off” ccene from Melrose Place is a distant second.

I watched the series with a friend last year when S2 came out on DVD, her first time seeing it and my first time seeing S2 in a decade or so, and the scene was every bit as distressing as it was the first time.

I absolutely loved the character of Leo Johnson. He was just SO vile and intimidating, and yet when he goes catatonic during the second season after being shot, and is “taken care of” at home by his former wife and her boyfriend (can’t remember his name - the cocky-looking guy with the suits that were always a size too big and whose dad was a pilot), and is later hypnotized and turned into a slave by Windom Earle, you actually feel *sorry * for him.

Leo also had a giant collection of vehicles, which I noticed after paying attention to his property whenever there was a scene taking place there. He had like, a red corvette, a yellow truck, a SEMI tractor, a Jeep, and about 4 other vehicles.

When watching the show with my friends, they always complained about James Hurley and how boring and one dimensional he was. I always defended his character by saying that it was SUPPOSED to be a parody of a stock character from the one-dimensional soap operas that Lynch was trying to satirize with Twin Peaks.

I loved Ed Hurley also. My only exposure to Everett McGill prior to TP was him as the “Father” or whatever that character’s name was in People Under The Stairs - the shotgun-wielding psychopath dressed in a leather S&M suit who kept kids prisoner in his basement with his insane wife, who incidentally was played by the SAME actress who played Ed Hurley’s wife Nadine in Twin Peaks. Crazy! It was strange to see him playing such a friendly and level-headed character after that.

Backwards-talking Michael Anderson was badass, as was maniacal Ben Horne and all of his insane schemes to promote his hotel.

Jose Ferrer had a great turn as Rosenfeld, the snide FBI agent who hates Cooper at first but grows to respect him after he witnesses how well he’s been able to get along with the Twin Peaks residents and begins to understand Cooper’s incorruptible dedication.

Loved all the weird quirky subplots. Like the female owner of the diner and her attempt to “class it up” to appeal to the “food critic” who’s coming to town, who happens to be her own mother! The craziness of Nadine Hurley and Ed’s good-hearted but futile attempts to reason with her. That pompous British clothing salesman who starts dating that secretary at the police station, the one with the annoying voice. I could go on and on.

BEST SHOW EVER.

I got the box set for Christmas.
Now all I need is some time to watch…
I have every episode, taped off tv in my basement somewhere. It was kindly done for me by a friend who knew how much I loved the show.

That’s Miguel Ferrer playing Albert Rosenfield. He’s the son of Jose Ferrer and Rosemary Clooney, and he looks more like his father all the time. It wasn’t Cooper that Albert didn’t like at first – they already knew each other and were always fine. It was Sheriff Truman that he didn’t like (and really, everyone else who was a Twin Peaks native), but he went from calling him a “blithering hayseed” and “slack-jawed yokel” to being huggy buddies with him by the end of the series. The turning point is Albert’s speech about his commitment to non-violence in the 10th episode, which is one of my favorite scenes in the whole series.

Wow, you have really misinterpreted Albert here. He never hated Cooper. He never really hated anyone. He had a generalized contempt for humanity because of the terrible things that humans do to each other, but underneath that was a deep and abiding love for that same humanity and a commitment to peace, justice and non-violence. One of the most sharply-drawn characters of the show, on the basis of two exchanges. I can’t recall which came first, but one was when he explained to Sheriff Truman his philosophy and the second was his exchange with Cooper discussing Jacques Renault’s autopsy results. Two genius scenes, brilliantly played by everyone involved.

The exchange with Cooper was in episode 9, so it was first.

mareseatoatsanddoeseatoatsbutlittlelambseativy
I only watched off and one, the second season decline bother me. But that scene sticks with me, kind of like ‘numb arm, narm narm…’.

This (together with all of the other cryptic references to The Wizard of Oz) went a long way towards cinching the show for me.

Last night, I watched I Know Who Killed Me, which was of course a very poor effort. I did like the nods to Twin Peaks, though - as belaboured as they were.

ETA: It’s hard to re-watch the show without seeing David Duchovny’s character as Mulder-in-a-dress.

The amazing thing about that scene is that for the most part it’s played almost slapstick: everyone looking like they’re thinking Cooper is crazy, Andy getting beaned… and then, “Leo Johnson”, a direct hit, the bottle shatters and instantly the mood goes from silly funny to dark and creepy.