Pick Me a Bible Verse

We really cannot use much from Solomon. You see we have to order 200 hand fans as a minimum, and we want to give the excess to our church for use in summer funerals and stuff. So

**“His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.”

comes across as “He looks so natural, just like he is sleeping.”

I was wondering if anyone would get that!

:cool:

Please keep them coming. I do appreciate your ideas very much.

Proverbs 26:3 is appropriate for a wedding: “A whip for a horse, and a snaffle for an ass, and a rod for the back of fools.”

Wait, so you want a wedding verse that can also double as a funeral verse? Cheery. You could always just put the excess fans in storage just in case you kick it during the hot months.

And for the guests in the receiving line, Proverbs 6:23-35:

6:23. Because the commandment is a lamp, and the law a light, and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:

6:24. That they may keep thee from the evil woman, and from the flattering tongue of the stranger.

6:25. Let not thy heart covet her beauty, be not caught with her winks:

6:26. For the price of a harlot is scarce one loaf: but the woman catcheth the precious soul of a man.

6:27. Can a man hide fire in his bosom, and his garments not burn?

6:28. Or can he walk upon hot coals, and his feet not be burnt?

6:29. So he that goeth in to his neighbour’s wife, shall not be clean when he shall touch her.

6:30. The fault is not so great when a man hath stolen: for he stealeth to fill his hungry soul:

6:31. And if he be taken, he shall restore sevenfold, and shall give up all the substance of his house.

6:32. But he that is an adulterer, for the folly of his heart shall destroy his own soul:

6:33. He gathereth to himself shame and dishonour, and his reproach shall not be blotted out:

6:34. Because the jealousy and rage of the husband will not spare in the day of revenge,

6:35. Nor will he yield to any man’s prayers, nor will he accept for satisfaction ever so many gifts.

Sounds redundant. [rimshot]

Yeah, well, you know. Frankly making use of the used fans is their problem, not ours.

Colossians 3:12-14 was used at my own wedding

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. New Internaitonal Version

12 As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. 13 Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. New Revised Standard Version

snort

Most of the good ones have been suggested- Solomon had a lot of great one-liners in Song of Songs and Proverbs. I especially second the Woman of Valor poem.

There are probably some good lyric verses in the latter halves of Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Hosea. Maybe I’ll look them up after dinner.

Genesis 2:24

"Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife, and they shall be one flesh. "

eta: perhaps this one reads better in Hebrew…

I’ve always liked 1 John 4:7-8 Beloved, let us love one another. For love is of God. Everyone that loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love, does not know God, for God is love.

We engraved our rings with it… Mine says “Beloved” and my husband’s says “Let us love one another.” <glow>

Oh! I like that one very much. Let me run it by her.

I think I Corinthians 7:9, or the abbreviated version:
If they can’t contain, let them marry; for, it is better to marry than to burn.

I think it has a certain cachet to it!

Best wishes,
hh