Pico de gallo

There were some tomatoes-on-the-vine that I thought should be used, and I found a beefsteak tomato in the fridge. So I roasted two jalapeños and chopped them up with another one I didn’t roast, chopped a tomato and cilantro, and put everything into the chopped tomatoes with some garlic and lime juice.

Now I have nearly a quart of the ol’ salsa fresca… and nothing to do with it. We do have some tortilla chips. I can make breakfast burritos in the coming days. But other than that…

Needs onions. Lots and lots of onions. And more garlic.

You have chips. What more do you need? Except maybe a beer or three.

:smack: I thought I mentioned the onions. Yes, there is a goodly amount of chopped onion.

I am also confused as to why you need more than chips? I personally love pico de gallo with scrambled eggs and toast with beans. But I rarely have it last me till morning.

Also good, get some beef and sear it. Slice it thin. Slice up a radish and maybe an avocado. Throw the whole thing into a tortilla with the salsa and you have taco night pretty well set. Serve with a side of beans so you have leftovers for the morning.

Chips and salsa are good, but not as a steady diet. :wink:

I do have some leftover machaca in the freezer, and Mrs. L.A. likes tacos dorados. We’re a bit light on cheese (for the tacos and for refried beans), and we’re out of avocados.

Comments from Mrs. L.A.:

‘It smells very oniony.’

‘It doesn’t need more cilantro. Look at it! You can’t put any more in! Remember you like cilantro more than I do.’

‘The onions are very hot.’

‘It tastes very fresh.’

She went to the living room and got on her computer. About five minutes later…

‘Actually, that salsa is pretty good. I think I’ll have some more.’

:smiley:

Who are you, and what have you done with Johnny L.A.?

Why you have tomato in fridge?

You’re doing it wrong.

It was fried machaca tacos. And chips and salsa.

That machaca recipe looks like a winner too. I’ll have to give it a shot.

You don’t even have to get creative, just dump it on top of everything savory: cheeseburgers, eggs, nachos, tacos, buttered toast, garlic bread, spaghetti with tomato sauce, macaroni and cheese,

My only advice is I prefer to add the cilantro to the pico as I use it. I’m not fond of weepy cilantro the next day.

Pico is surprisingly good on hot dogs.

We freely substitute pico de gallo and kimchi with each other. Anywhere you want some savory spice, use one or the other. Usually with meat, but with rice or tortilla or bread as well.

Peanut butter is contraindicated.

Chicken enchilada casserole.

You’ve done most of the work making the sauce.

Roll cooked/shredded chicken and a bit of cheese in corn tortillas. Dip tortillas in chicken broth first if you have it. You’ll need about ten of these. Place in baking dish. Cover with the sauce you made. Don’t cover the ends if you want a little crispy/crunch.

Spread more cheese on top, and sliced black olives.

Bake at 350 until cheese bubbles and shows some brown. ~ 20 minutes.

Serve with sour cream. Bob’s your uncle.

Radish?! You put radish in your tacos? Dear Lord, why? :confused:

When I go to a taco truck, there are always radish slices on the plate. I eat them separately, myself; but why not put them in the tacos?

Huh. That sounds good. Never thought of adding radish to my Mex.

I second this, especially on a hot dog cooked wrapped in bacon, served on a griddled flour tortilla with a roasted serrano pepper, fried onions, and whatever other condiments you like. Basically, a riff on the Tijuana or Sonoran hot dog.

Radishes are not unusual in Mexican cooking, including tacos. I usually eat them separately, though, and they’re usually on the side, like the lime, as I’ve seen it.