Pitting my fucking self...

I was going to Pit Amazon.com, then I found out Barnes and Noble did the same thing. So it’s me. Just can’t keep my eyes to myself…

Been avidly awaiting the new Harry Turtledove. American Empire: The Victorious Opposition. Checked Amazon to see how much they were asking for it. Then, on the foolish assumption that editorial reviews wouldn’t contain spoilers, as opposed to customer reviews, which might be rife with them but wouldn’t be up yet since the book isn’t out yet, checked the editorial review.

Now I know two major plot points.

If you’re not familiar with this series (alternate history: what North America in the 20th century* would be like if the South had won the civil war), suffice to say that what just happened to me is perfectly analogous to seeing a spoiler for Harry Potter 5. Both series have carefully crafted plots, and, IYAM, Turtledove’s pacing is far better than Rowlings: you can never be quite sure, at the beginning of a sequence, what changes will have been wrought by the end of it. In the past, readers have been left staggering from plot points that are out of the cloudless blue, and yet perfectly consistent: no deus ex machina, just life as it is lived.

Now I know two things that are going to happen. And even though I could have predicted one of them, I still feel robbed of the suspense I would otherwise have been under. I didn’t see the other one coming at all, and that just sucks. I know there are other Turtledove fans on this board, so I’m not even going to imply what these plot points are. And if anyone else knows, or wants to speculate, I highly recommend they use spoiler boxes.

Anyway. I’m not going to tell this to Mr. Rilch. Not out of embarrassment; I’m sure he would understand that I never expected an editorial review to give away so much…Although I think I will warn him to take off the dust jacket without looking at it, since it might have some of the same info. But I’m not going to tell him, because I don’t want to do the same tease that was done with HP5, saying, “Something’s gonna hap-pen! Something’s gonna hap-pen!”, leading him to speculate and thereby have his suspense ruined**.

Shit-o-goddamn. And I have no one to blame but myself.

*Yes, I know How Few Remain took place in the 19th century. Sue me. He’s now so deep into the 20th century that it would be silly to say “late 19th and early 20th century”.

**I realize, of course, why Rowling was compelled to warn people that someone was going to die in HP5: because kids read that series, and parents had to get their “We’re born; we live a little while; and we die” speeches ready. But it still took a lot of bite out of it, for me.

116 views and still no sympathy. Well, that leaves me plenty of room to start another rant.

Fuck you, you worthless piece of shit computer. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. I shouldn’t have to reboot every few hours. What the fuck is wrong with you?

Jeez, now I feel guilty about looking without touching, I feel almost obligated to post now.

Anyway, it’s hard to agree with a self-pit. If you really want it, then okay: you’re an asshat. Seriously, though; I opine that spoilers should be kept out of everything. Hell, one of the reasons I signed up for this site was because I found the “Spoilers” box to be nothing short of ingenious. Nobody should be forced to hear details in a story that unravels slowly; it’s like cutting the thread in advance. (Sorry about that metaphor, it wore itself thin). Clues are even worse because you get this sick feeling in your head when everything becomes too obvious too far in advance…

Thanks a lot, you fucking dumbass, for doing the same thing that Amazon did. I haven’t read HP5 yet and haven’t read any threads in CS for a month to avoid just what reading what you wrote. I never read any review of any kind for books and movies that I plan to enjoy because they ALWAYS give away shit.

I can’t fucking believe you wrote that when you were complaining about the same thing happening to you.

Idiot.

Haj

Oh fuck. hajario, I’m sorry. Truly. I should have put that in a spoiler box. Fuck me.

But honestly, that was the biggest tease in all American and British media for weeks! You really must have kept yourself in seclusion not to know that! And at least I didn’t say who it was.

And meanwhile, you’ve missed some good shit in CS.

Icebrand, it’s not even fucking “clues”. They gave specifics—not just Plot Point A, but the Plot Point B that results. They might as well have just posted the last fucking chapter.

:::Rilchiam dons sackcloth and ashes and shuffles away:::

If you said who it was, I would have had to kill you.

OK, I’ve calmed down. I shouldn’t have called you names but, jeez, how could you have done that? I hate, hate, hate not going into books or movies totally blank. I never read reviews or book jackets and I turn off the tv if anything is mentioned about something I intend to see/read. I was going to buy and read the book in a couple of weeks too.

I’ve spent most of the last few months shuttling back and forth between the U.S. and Asia and I simply haven’t seen much entertainment in the media that wasn’t in Mandarin.

Oh well.

Haj

[hijack] Personally, I thought the whole point of the media hype was to get more people to buy the book. OotP proceeds to give the reader several opportunities to think one or another of the significant characters is going to die, and they keep turning out to be false alarms, until by the time Rowling actually gets around to killing off Get real. Like I’m really going to just blurt it out, even in a spoiler box, I for one found I didn’t very much care any more. Other readers’ mileage may vary.

The point I’m trying to make, possibly not very well, is that I thought the storytelling here was compromised slightly by over-reliance on leakage via the media, and I think that’s bad writing. Just my $0.02-worth. [/hijack]

Anyway, Rilchiam, that sucks majorly. Hope you manage to have a frabjous day in spite of it :slight_smile:

Barnes and Noble pitted Amazon.com? That’s strange. Barnes and Noble is generally pretty even-tempered.

I’m picturing hajaro walking around with his/her fingers in his/her ears going “lalalalalalalala”.

No fear. I may be dumb but I’m not that dumb.

Well, I hear that. But see my second post in this thread for a sense of perspective. There’s still a lot in HP5 that will knock you for a loop. With the Turtledove book, it wasn’t just one thing that was spoiled for me; it was practically every major character’s storyline. One fucking paragraph ruined the entire book for me. (I skim pretty fast; how else could I keep up with the SD?)

Well, see, I didn’t know that! But if you’re doing so much traveling…don’t you need something to read on the plane? :wink: Forget the “couple of weeks”!

Malacandra, good point. Snooooopy, I know you know what I meant is that B&N posted the same review…right?

Of course! Like I said, Barnes and Noble wouldn’t pit anyone. It would take the dispute to e-mail, most likely.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I know how you feel… except what I did was WAY more my own fault. You had every reason to expect a professional would have the brains not to give away a major plot point. Me, I bought all four volumes of Serial Experiments Lain on VHS and I looked at the back of the fourth box. I mean, I should have thought the fourth box would have stuff on the back that would spoil the first three, right? But no…
In the end Lain was so surreal that I didn’t care, but I still feel stupid over it.

I mostly give up and let things be spoiled for me though. I knew/know who dies in most major animes for example.

And as for OotP I haven’t finished it and I have a fanfic to write, so I had my husband clue me in on the whole thing. (I already had a Certain Major Plot Point spoiled by that jerk who posted it here and got banned, so I gave up)

Ain’t no fucking way I’m carrying that brick around with me all over the globe. I like to pack light. That book weighs more than my laptop.

Haj

Is the audio cassette an option?

This is why I love Weber/Ringo/Baen’s new CD-ROM inna book thing. Got me to buy the first fiction hardcover… er, I’ve ever bought. E-Books are great… not perfect, but for airplanes… twenty books on a chip, what more can you ask for?

After reading the spoilers, I’d have to say that it’s not as bad as you think. These have been REAL darn active books… this’ll all happen in the first few chapters. It’s all been set up in the previous book as things that are really blatantly about to happen. It darn near ends with the Secord Plot, the Scipio plot is about as obvious as it gets. “Over Open Sights” = “My Struggle”, the only real shocker is Drunken Uncle Ernie, and I think that has historical parallels, but I may be wrong.
You know, we should play a Spot The Person thing. Previous book, Ernie is Ernest Hemmingway, the scrawny Jew is prob’ly Sam Meyer, from MGM, FDR pops up now and again, as do the Marx (Engles) brothers. Oh, and the aide de camp is Dolphie.

I’m just now nearly finished with AE:The Center Cannot Hold, since I usually wait for the paperback editions. I had noticed that the next book was due out in hardcover in August but hadn’t yet seen any advance reviews for it, so I didn’t have any trouble with knowing where any plot points were going. Of course, it wasn’t hard to see the Featherston/Hitler parallels, so I figured something would happen to bring the Freedom Party back into prominence. Some of the other storylines had a few twists I wasn’t expecting, however.

E-Sabbath, that’s one of the things I like about reading Turtledove’s Alternate Histories, playing Spot the Historical Figure. I caught the Ernie reference immediately and thought the Engels Brothers was a nice touch.

Yeah, but still…!

One person they didn’t mention was Sam Carsten. What’s he on now, his fourteenth life?

Upton Sinclair was a real person, if that counts. And

way back in the Great War, I think it was in “Walk in Hell”, Morrell or somebody was introduced to one Daniel MacArthur. I’ve been waiting to see him again…

LurkMeister, did you also notice that Galtier witnessed the incident where Ernie sustained his tragic injury?

Rilchiam,

Sorry for the silly question, but it seems that I’ve somehow missed Turtledove completely. You’ve sparked my interest and I’d like to read a few of his. Do I have this correctly?

How Few Remain - Immediate Post Civil War
Great War Series - WWI, same universe
American Empire - Post-WWI same universe

Guns of the South - Civil War/Post Civil War, stand-alone universe

WorldWar Series - WWII, “aliens” universe
Colonization - Post-WWII, same universe

World At War series - WWII?, “magic” universe

Various other books (Ruled Brittania, etc) - more or less standalone, with a few series, but none related to above.

Is that about right?

I’m presuming that occurred in one of the earlier books; I don’t remember reading about it now. It may not have registered at the time I read it who Ernie was, or I may have just forgotten it. It does bring up another point about this series, though. I like the way Turtledove interweaves the various plotlines, with occasional crossovers like the Enos/Colleton connection.

One problem I occasionally have is that because I read a lot of alternative history, much of which is American/Civil War related, I sometimes get my histories confused. Shortly before starting AE:TCCH I had read a series by an author with a long Italian name which I cannot remember at this moment which centered around President George Armstrong Custer, and I had to shift mental gears. (Now there’s a topic for discussion: the fate of Custer in alternate histories.)

On preview (for the umpteenth time) grem0517, that’s about right. IIRC How Few Remain is set in the 1880s, with a prologue that establishes the point of split from our history. There’s also a fantasy Civil War series:

Sentry Peak
Marchiing Through Peachtree

which is set in an alternate magical universe.

Thanks for the info, Lurk. I missed those somehow. Are they in the same universe as the World at War series or just share a similiar theme?