Pizza: toppings that count as two

Where are you, Japan?

Hmm…inspired by this thread, I ordered a pizza with sauteed spinach from a Toronto chain last night, and it only counted as one topping.

Otto, I would die sometimes to be back in Madison with its pizza selections. Try Des Moines - the chain restaurant capital of America - there is only one non-chain pizza joint I know of, and it’s one of those upmarket no-delivery deals. Good, but pricey. I can’t even get broccoli on pizza here at all.

I order pizza without cheese and it irks me that I don’t get any discount for not having cheese. Cheese is the most expensive part of the pizza. :mad:

Am I the only one that thinks that a lot of pizza is way overpriced? I used to work at a national pizza chain and I was shocked by how small an amount of toppings were actually added to a pizza in relation to the cost. And IIRC, the more toppings you ordered, the less of each one you got (too many toppings=an underdone crust).
However, I will add that people who made us add shrimp or anchovies to pizza should have had to pay double, just for making us smell that stuff–and customers who ordered both on a single pizza should have been shot. What a wretched stink that was coming out of a hot oven! :smiley:

I can’t wait for soup pizzas to become popular. Imagine a breakfast of menudo pizza, a lunch of split pea soup pizza, and finally dinner of clam chowder pizza!

Yeah…

One more reason never to move to Des Moines. As if my parents weren’t reason enough.

There are some good pizza places here. Supreme and Glass Nickel are both quite good. Pizzeria Uno is pretty good too. The problem is that none of the places with the best pizza deliver to my part of town. Hell, I can’t even get Gumby’s to deliver to me, and there are Gumby’s all over the damn place. The only places I can get delivery are Pizza Extreme and Pizza Pit (and believe me, the name “Pit” is all-too-applicable) so Extreme it is. And they double-charge for my toppings of choice.

I somehow doubt that pepperoni has the same prep time as broccoli, from a labor standpoint.

They may well be able to get pepperoni pre-sliced in packages. At the end of the night they can cover the pan with saran wrap and use it the following day. There’s probably a very high turnover of pepperoni use so not much of it ever gets so old it must be discarded.

Broccoli must be bought fresh, washed, and chopped up into bits. I don’t know what parts of the broccoli they’re using, but they pay for the whole head of broccoli even if they don’t use the stem bits. And at the end of the night I wager they throw the broccoli away, or it’ll be brown the next morning. Higher prep time, more waste — and who knows, there may be times then the price of broccoli fluctuates because of too much (or too little) rain somewhere. All that for a few broccoli florets?

So they charge double. Excessive, I know, but sometimes people just can’t see the florets for the cheese.

Your whole post was just an excuse to use this pun, wasn’t it?

I salute you sir/madam! :slight_smile:

While i prefer fresh broccoli, the Trader Joe’s where i shop sells perfectly decent frozen broccoli that can be thawed as needed, and that lasts ages in the freezer. I’ll bet that similar stuff is available to pizza places, and that at least some of them use frozen vegetables.

So do the places that use frozen broccoli charge double? Maybe that’s the difference.

No idea if any of the places here in town use frozen vegetables. Fresh or frozen, I just don’t believe that the cost of keeping a few pounds of any particular vegetable justifies charging double. Even if the place doesn’t get some sort of bulk discount and even if they get stalks instead of just the crowns, I can’t envision a scenario where something like broccoli could be so costly that they can’t make a profit on it without charging double.

One of life’s enduring mysteries is the US method of ordering pizzas. It intrigues me that when the chains first started in Australia they sensibly changed pizza ordering. We order a pizza by variety and get whatever topping are included. You would go broke in a week in Australia trying to sell pizza with 2 or 3 toppings. I have a brochure for a local place, here are some standard $5.95 pizzas:

Meat Supreme - tomato or BBQ sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, Italian salami, ham, beef and bacon.

Vegetarian - tomato sauce, mozzarella, fresh onion,fresh capsicum,fresh mushrooms, olives, fresh tomato and oregano.

Hot and Spicy Chicken - chili sauce, mozzarella, onion, capsicum, roast chicken, jalapeno peppers and fresh tomato.

Fisherman’s Catch - tomato sauce, mozzarella, mussels, prawns(shrimp), calamari, lemon pepper.

Ther are 14 different combinations available. Admittedly the Pepperoni is just sauce, cheese and pepperoni. One group including all the chicken ones are $1.95 more.

No soup pizza for YOU!!!

U.S. pizza chains do a similar thing: they have cutesy names for a certain combination of toppings, but you can mix-n-match.

It’s usually cheaper to order the pre-arranged varieties than the custom pick-your-topping version.

That’s not pizza, that’s stir-fry on a boboli. :wink:

I feel your pain. My last apartment was in walking distance between two rival shops. None of the places near me now in Stone Mountain are any good. The pizza places I frequent now are all in town in Atlanta, corner spots where you sit in a booth and watch the guys twirl the dough right there. My favorite spot of the moment does lousy slices but their made to order pizzas, calzones and house salads are great.

Pizza is a “take an hour to visit the restuarant” or “hit that joint up the street from the job” item for me now.

You think veggies on pizza is odd? Japanese pizza even odder? Well, a friend of mine living near Seoul just blogged about Korean Pizza Hut.

First, take a look at the picture here. Here’s the description:

Having worked in a restaurant that did specialty pizzas, the broccoli is not real expensive…probably cheaper than pepperoni. But broccoli takes preparation, which takes time. And you can’t process 50 lbs. of broccoli and then not worry about it until it’s used up because it’ll never get all used up…it goes bad, even if you freeze it. And if you freeze it, it has to thaw.

So it has to be done on a per-order basis. You buy it in small quantities and when someone orders a broccoli pizza, someone has to take the right amount out of the freezer, microwave it for 15 seconds and then chop it up in a food processor. Then the food processor has to be cleaned later on.

That’s what you’re paying for.

Pretty much the same for spinach.

Artichoke hearts are expensive, and they ususally have to be prepared too. But you can’t just put 'em in the food processor, they have to be cut into halves, then quarters then eighths to make 'em good as a pizza topping. Once again, you can’t do much at a time because you’re not going to use much of it per day.

Nope. Just in Ky. A gourmet pizza place opened up nearby and the corn/tuna was one of their offerings. I was intrigued so I tried it. Although I loved it I guess no one else did as it disappeared from their menu shortly thereafter.