Please give me ideas for using up a 12 pound ham

And of course the staple of the southern diet: Sidemeat, sidemeat, and more sidemeat. (Of course I’m biased as my name in Jazz clubs across the world is in fact “Cool Papa Sidemeat”.) Ham is great seasoning for almost any vegetable but especially peas, beans and greens.

And are you familiar with Red Eye Gravy? Wonderful on grits, eggs, biscuits, or on more red eye gravy.

Split pea soup.

Navy bean soup (no matter what Bree VanDeKamp says).

Hot ham sandwich, like a grilled cheese, but use a thin layer of cream cheese instead of the cheddar/American/whatnot.

And like others have said, ham on salad is just great.

Damn. Now I want ham.

Potato soup is particularly good with ham’n’cheese sandwiches. Or just put some ham in the soup.

If there are any cowboys in your circle of friends, why not make them up a big ol’ stack of ham pancakes? They’ll love 'em.

Of course, the cowboys could probably have told you that.

1. Slice ham into medium sized chunks (it doesn’t matter what shape, as long as there are no bones in them)
  2. Place chunks into blender, liquefy on high for 3 minutes. Repeat until you have reduced the entire ham to mush.
  3. Pour into large pot, and add approx. 5 liters of water.
  4. Bring to low boil, stir occasionally.
  5. After 10 hours, when water has been reduced by half, pour the mixture through a strainer to remove solids. Return liquid to pot, discard mush.
  6. Bring liquid to low boil, stir occasionally.
  7. Boil until liquid reaches the consistency of tapioca. You should have approx. 2 cups of material leftover. This is Essence of Ham.
  8. Chill for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
  9. Eat with a spoon. Enjoy!

Ham tacos.

Did I say that out loud?

I’m sure a quick Google session would reveal some blueprints for a small catapult…

A hamapult? Perhaps a hambuchet? Or a ballistham?

:sound of Lissla falling about laughing:

I’m compiling a list of the recipes, and Hamlet and phantom Dennis, your suggestions are priceless. Keep the ideas coming! We have slightly more than an eternity here, with two people and a twelve-pound ham.

What I would do is find a pig and feed the ham to it.

What? I’d laugh…

Great idea! I prefer lima beans myself. :slight_smile:

How 'bout a hamgrenade? :smiley:

Cut ham in bite-sized pieces. Chop a small head of cabbage (or a large one if you really like cabbage, have a large family, or like to scare small children with your farts). Peel and cube a few potatoes. Place cabbage in bottom of pot, then potatoes, then some ham. Pour in some water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until cabbage and potatoes are tender. Stir it once in a while. Or, skip the cabbage and use green beans. FRESH green beans, not frozen, not canned.

If you’re feeling like it, throw a chopped onion into either variation. I don’t, as I don’t think it needs it. A good flavorful ham will make some tasty broth from all the steam in the pot.

This can also be done in a crock pot.

When serving, be sure to get some of the juices into your bowl, for mopping up with a good sturdy buttered rye…

I grew up poor, we ate a lot of stuff like this. Sometimes, without the ham.

High Country BBQ Beans.

How about chicken and ham pie, or vol-au-vents?

Similar to something already posted above but these are good if you have to bring a dish to a thing (you know – a church thing, or a work thing, or a shower thing) and you’ve got some of the ham left.

Ham “Tea” Sandwiches (meaning, “sandwiches made with ham, for a tea,” not “sandwiches made with ham and tea”)

Very thinly slice the ham
Very thinly slice some seedless cukes
Mix some low-fat cream cheese with some curry powder until you get a good curry flavor, not too overwhelming.
“Butter” two pieces of squishy white bread with the cream cheese/curry powder mix
Layer on the ham and cukes
Make the sammich
Cut the crusts off, and cut into four triangles for tea-sized sammiches

You’ll want to serve these right away; if the event-thing is later, either assemble them right before or, if you have to make them ahead, leave the cukes off (the sandwiches will still be very good). Cukes make sandwiches wet and soggy if they’re in there for very long.

My family’s solution to leftover ham is Ham & Egg Pie.

Chop ham into bite-size pieces.
Hard-boil some eggs and slice them up.
Layer the ham and eggs in a baking dish.
Make some white sauce (basic milk, butter and flour gravy) and pour over the ham & eggs.
Use a can of crescent rolls for a crust and bake 'til the crust is done.

Dress it up in an infants pyjamas and chuck it off a tall building. Be sure to scream, “MY BABY!” so that people look up in time to see it fall.

Does it matter that I’ve already hacked “my baby” in pieces, and put some of it through the cuisinart? Won’t that spoil the effect?

Hopin’ John – basically fried onions and green pappers, black-eyed peas, chopped ham, and Tabasco. Served over rice or corn bread. Nummy.

Ham & broccoli casserole – make a cheese sauce, pour it over broccoli and/or caulifower and ham, bake covered 20 minutes.

Oh yummy yummy ham!