Please Join Me for the Pitting of LinusK

Actually, you’re right. Ignore my post. :slight_smile:

It’s hyperbole.

In the context in which I used it, “man up” doesn’t imply “quit acting like a woman”. It means act like an adult.

But I’m also using it ironically. I’m telling LinusK that he isn’t repping very well for his gender by leaving it up to women to do his work for him.

It’s for this very reason that I sometimes endorse pile-ons ( as long as they don’t stray into bullying ), since they sometimes actually seem to change a person’s mind.

And this pitting makes a pretty convincing case. LinusK’s misogyny requires a swift kick in its nads.

Problem with a hundred women declaring things is that many people say what they want to think and not what they really think.

Meaning that people can believe something should be such-and-such way, but while they may say this when directly asked about it it’s not what they feel deep down. So you can get a hundred women all eager to break gender barriers and when viewing things in that context willing to declare that they think SAHDs are sexy and wonderful, but if they were ever in a situation where they were viewing things from the perspective of “do I think this guy has potential as a possible partner/spouse?” as opposed to “do I think society would be better off if people viewed this guy as having potential as a possible partner/spouse?” the answer might be different.

There are undoubtedly exceptions. But I’m pretty sure that in aggregate, among society-at-large, including both men and women, being a SAHD is not a plus in the “sexy and wonderful” department. May change one day, but we’re not there yet.

The real stupidity would be for a man giving two craps about what other men think about him staying home. Not that this is a man thing. Both women who stay home and women who don’t stay home get crap from other women.

The kid’s attitude will probably clear up some after he finally gets laid. Meanwhile, he’s making that hard to happen.

Well, given the extensive persecution complex he’s already got, I think the chances are extremely unlikely that this will impact him in any positive way.

I won’t argue with your point that people often say one thing and practice another. But my point still stands that women alone can’t redefine conventional notions of successful masculinity.

It may be stupid, but it’s reality. As social animals, we’re predisposed to care what others think of our choices.

His “debate technique” has always been like this.

But his feminist-hating is pretty new. It used to be that his monomania was economics. He’s been writing stupid shit about the economy for yeeeeaaaars. He’s confident enough about his own skeelz that he’s recently started a new series of threads in Great Debates about Economics 101, with him as the instructor. This econ thing is still going on, so it might be safer to say he has developed a duomania. He has TWO hobbies now, instead of just the one.

I am ambivalent.

I find his online persona contemptible. His reasoning faculties are deeply damaged. But there is absolutely no way to ever convince him of that, because he was always the smart kid in class. There’s plenty of horsepower in that engine, he just doesn’t have the slightest fucking clue how to drive the car. You can’t convince him he’s acting like an idiot (even though he is) because that doesn’t fit his self-image of being cleverer than others. He doesn’t understand the dangers of non-random sampling, of confirmation bias, of small samples, of prematurely assuming linear causality, or anything along those lines, and he’s not going to listen because inside his head He’s Way Too Smart for any of that shit. Careful handling of the data is for intellectual peons, not debate studs like him.

On the other hand, some of my best contributions to the boards, ever, were in response to stuff he’s written. I’m reminded of Cervaise’s old defense of another irritating poster:

(Damn I miss that guy. Hard it’s to believe it’s been six years.)

The bottom line is that as annoying and obtuse as LinusK can be – and we’re talking Olympic levels here – it’s simply a fact that people can learn a shitload from his threads precisely because he’s such a bumbling fool who doesn’t realize how intellectually clumsy and pathetic he is. His excessive self-regard inflates his belief of being entitled to brush on every object in the room, and in the scramble to keep those objects from crashing into the ground, everybody else is forced to bring their A-game.

Yes, his reading comprehension is on a second-grade level. Yes, you’re going to have to explain the same thing five different things for it to sink in. Yes, you’re going to have to cite your previous explanations three times before he admits you’ve engaged his point at all. Yes, garden slugs have more ability to try to take on the intellectual viewpoint of others than he does. This pitting is well-deserved.

But he’s not going away. He has enough control over his temper that he’s unlikely to cross any lines. At least there’s a silver lining of sorts.

His monomania won’t go away either. Given his history of starting the same economics thread again, and again, and again, and again, for literally years, I think it’s safe to believe that his pattern on anti-feminism will be similar. He’s going to bring up the same empty arguments, ignore the same cites while acknowledging only those who agree, and in all other ways continue acting like an ass. And many others are going to keep responding with cogent, illuminating points that will make the threads extremely informative for everyone who isn’t him. I don’t want to sound like a dick but one advantage is that there are way more feminists than monetary economists here so it’s easier to split the load. (I count as both, and I might be the only one.) I’m actually a bit tickled by his new hobby because he’s found so many other new people to annoy. From my perspective, it’s nice that he’s branching out a bit.

Great. You couldn’t be entertaining enough and now we have to suffer for it!

Of course.

It’s not clear to me based on the quotes in this thread that LinusK disagrees with this (or has any particular position on the question) but if he does then he’s wrong about it.

I just wanna say I miss Cervaise, too!

I’m actually kind of relieved to hear this. **LinusK **wasn’t really on my radar in either a positive or negative way prior to his recent flood of threads about the oppression of men and evils of feminism. I had wondered if something had happened to him recently to bring this on. But if it’s only the topic that’s new then I guess he’s just being himself.

I suspect the word you were looking for is “opprobrium.”

“Approbation” means something else.

:confused:

Since a SAHD in this context is almost of necessity a guy who is already some other woman’s partner/spouse, it’s difficult to imagine plumping for a feminist observer to be sizing him up for her own domestic agenda.

This is a beautiful metaphor.

Proposed response when he says that: “Not to you, they don’t.”

I noticed the latter of those threads. Didn’t make the connection that it was the same guy as I’m too recently returned here. So thanks for pointing that out.

Frankly, none of the threads I had seen seemed even worth replying to. The internet really seems to bring out the misogyny in a lot of men, well, loser-type men.

I mean I have never, in my real life, met any men who express the hatred of and ideas about women that I commonly encounter on the internet.

What? I’ve met them and they just don’t have the nerve to express it to me face to face. (Always a possibility, as I imagine this type to be cowardly.) Or there really aren’t that many of these types and I haven’t met any of them.

I don’t know.

I do know at a certain point the only thing I do with them is ignore them.

I came in here thinking this would be about his odd economics obsession, and here I see one of the best, most elegant slams I’ve ever seen. Brought a tear to my eye…

Here’s the thing…this post hits the nail on the head of what this board is all about. I’ve learned a ton by reading well reasoned and cited posts refuting folks like LinusK on this board. Heck, I thought I knew a lot about Egyptology (for a complete amateur) but the ridiculous thread with CladKing taught me stuff that I never knew and gave me a ton of perspective…despite the fact that, like LinusK, the King O’ Clad (hope he didn’t get banned btw) basically used the exact same ridiculous from the gut thinking that LinusK uses. That thread on how the pyramids were made was a classic, up there with some of the best debunking of 9/11 Truther non-sense and some of the best economics threads on this board, and I think the board is richer for it.

So you go, LinusK…you be a weird left wing economics loonie and an anti-feminist slime dog! Own it man, and keep on keeping on!! Maybe branch out a bit and give your thoughts on 1 or 2 other subjects at some point. I mean, you’ve only been here since 2007 and all, but maybe it’s time to spread your wings and really let go? Sure, you can’t do these things too fast and all, but give it a try!