Please recommend me a moisturizer

Like many men, I spent decades not giving a thought to moisturizing my skin. But now, at age 51, said skin, especially on my face, is feeling dry and just seems to be losing its life at the same time my hair goes gray. Woe, poor me!

Anyway, I think I’ll start the habit of moisturizing. But I don’t know which products are good, and I assume the “6 best moisturizers for men” articles are just advertising.

So, men (or women encouraging their men to moisturize), which brands do you like? What is the right combination of simple, affordable, and effective?

By the way, I’m assuming, because the internet tells me so, that there really is a difference between men’s and women’s moisturizers. If that’s not true, so much the better. I don’t need a product to be called “Bull Dog” to get me to use it, unless it happens to be the best one.

Thanks in advance,
E.

After a years-ago CR review, I have been using Loreal Active Daily Moisturizer…well, daily. I’m subject to dry skin around my nose; has worked quite well for me for 20 years. Not cheap, but a bottle lasts me most of a year.

I keep a bottle of Lubriderm Advanced Therapy lotion in my desk drawer at work for when my face gets all dry. 16 oz. bottle, I don’t know what I paid, it was around $10. It does what I need it to, seems to work well and lasts. A little dab applied to the problem area in the morning or whenever I notice is plenty for the rest of the day.

CeraVe is very good.

I and my husband both like Aveeno moisturizer. The “Daily Moisturizing Lotion” variety is unscented, and gets a lot of its goodness from oatmeal. It doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, and is widely available.

I use Purpose Dual Treatment Moisturizer with SPF 15 for my face and head. My wife started getting it for me a few years ago, from Target. I like the no fragrance and un-oily nature of it, and the SPF factor is a bonus.

Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer (SPF 15) works for me. Been using it for 10 years.

I like Cetaphil.

I’m another Lubriderm user. Just the basic “Daily Moisture” all-purpose lotion, not designated for any specific face/body part.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I’ll do a little comparison shopping.

I recommend Neutrogena. No scent, good price point. Neutrogena Hydra Boost feels really good when applied.

Olay and Aveena are also good products but I think more expensive for essentially the same stuff.

I will also put in a plug for coconut oil (refined). We all use it by melting it in our hands and massaging it into our skin right after washing, whether it’s washing a face or after a shower. Then pat dry. Or air dry. It may seem a little greasy at first but as far as we know it has never left an oily stain on anything. You might smell very slightly like a macaroon with some brands, but that wears off fast.

Is it too early for a joke response?

Water.

I bought Bull Dog moisturizer for my husband. It’s made for men and very reasonably priced. It has a distinct smell which you’ll either like or hate.

Husband won’t use it so i tried it and actually love it. It’s herbal and light.

It’s not cheap but I have terribly dry skin and what works best for me is L’Occitane Moisturizing Cade Face Cream

I’ve been using this stuff for 10 years:

I apply a nickel-sized squirt on my face and neck every day after shaving.

It has a very, very subtle scent, seems to moisturize well enough, and there’s some sunscreen in there so I guess it’s good.

It’s never too early for a joke response!

Actually, at least in GQ, joke answers are discouraged before a serious response has been posted. I think the same may hold true in IMHO.

I absolutely hate anything that makes my face feel greasy or oily after applying so after trying a bunch of them my go to is The Maca Root moisturizer sold at the Body Shop. Seems to be fragrance free and also has some sun protection in there also, SPF15.
If I want something with a mild scent to it I’ll go with Kiehl’s Facial Fuel that smells great. They make it in a SPF version also.

I don’t have it in front of me, but I think I use the same stuff. Works good when I remember to use it.

Retired cabinetmaker here. Got way too many solvents on my hands over way too many years, Fingers split and crack like mad in the winter. The only thing that works reliably is Neutragena.

I suggest you read the ingredients and avoid mineral oil, petrolatum, and the like. I once used them for years and while they gave relief for a few hours, eventually they made my skin worse.

Dan