Point of Order-Hate Speech in the Pit

In both of the posts I cited there was no reference to living in a trailer. Inkleberry’s specifically was not about trailer park residents.

What if the known black Doper calls a known white Doper “white trash”?

You fucking racist.

That, or the Stormfront people hates multi-player computer gamers or are in league with Voldemort.

Please elaborate.

To my mind, trash comes in all colors.

IMO, “white trash” is a perjorative aimed at a class of people OR at a behavior–I have used the term to describe non-whites (not here, but in RL).

It means an attitude or erm, an approach to life that has at its base ignorance, narrowmindedness and vulgarity, not to mention bigotry, ethnocentrism and xenophobia.

but maybe that’s my own defintion.

It’s banning time.

This is not to say that you don’t have a point. I have always seen these issues more as class and economic issues rather than racial issues. All that I was doing was trying to offer some explanation as to why society at large heaps contempt on that particular group.

You have a identified a group of people** by color**, and characterized them pejoratively as a group.

“Why look at them pickaninnies. They ain’t too bright but ain’t they got some antics. Hooee.”

Really? Where have I done that?

On a side note: We are still on board with you being an oversensitive little douchebag, right?

i think you should re-read binarydrome’s post…

Note of clarification:

I never consider the term as a reference for the Appalachian poor-to me, it is a way to sum up quickly someone’s attitude or behavior that doesn’t jive with my own “culture”. Hey, to someone else, I’m probably white trash! Who knows? I just don’t take it that seriously.

I see the point about fairness and maybe the term shouldn’t be used here–but I also think that language police are too quick to find fault and look for hurts. I hope we don’t go down that road.

Here

On a side note, when were we on board with me being a douchebag?

Contrapuntal, To even further elaborate: The post that you quoted was nothing more than my understanding of why the term “white trash” is used at all. Granted, I did use sarcastic language but that is because I am getting pretty sick of the permanently offended. I am not sure if you can actually grasp how far things have been pushed for this to be true of me, as I am a died in the wool liberal and at one time actually valued being politically correct.

But, the roving packs of sensitive souls just itching to feel righteous indignation have changed all of that. Your reaction, unless you are joking, is a perfect example of what has gone horribly, horribly wrong with the Left.

Now I think this actually is racist.

You assume, because they’re white, that they should be able to overcome the problems of the lower classes common to all racial groups: crushing poverty, a lack of education, little oppurtunity for economic advancement, unaffordable and unavailable healthcare, etc. Not to mention being raised in the lower classes will affect their speech and social mannerisms in a way that will make it harder for them to assimiliate with the middle classes should their economic status ever increase enough to make the leap.

I think a white person born into poverty is going to be dealing with nearly all the same problems that a black person is–the only exception is that the white person won’t be dealing with anti-black racism. I think, in this day and age, that problem pales in comparison to the problems faced by both groups, and I’m not going to laugh at a poor person because they’re white, live in a trailer, and have a different culture then I do.

It’s a class struggle, not a race struggle.

I am not on the Left.

If white trash is not hate speech, then neither is stupid darky. If we are to have a rule about hate speech, then white trash qualifies. I am offended by what I see as inconsistent application of the rule. I have emailed mods to address this and was advised to open a pit thread. Again, the thread title states: Point of Order.

So, am I like one of those self-hating whites? Seriously? I might be willing to discuss the possibility that I have some class issues to work out (though I would need to have that conversation with someone smarter than you), but in this case to call me a racist is really sort of stupid.

Re: the douche bag thing*. I guess that I just assumed that your behavior and abject stupidity made it obvious. Also, you never answered my question as to why this whole issue seems to be such a big deal to you.

*No offence intended to the Douche Bag Americans™. I am referring to specific behavior, and do not intend disrespect to actual sentient feminine hygiene products who may be reading this post.

Just for the record, I disagree with Contrapuntal, for all the reasons stated already.

On a different subject, I was under the impression the “Eurotrash” was a term used for all europeans, regardless of race or economic statis, who fall to demonstrate the quality know as “Class”. Is that correct?

Metacom, Again, I am not assuming anything. I am simply stating what I see as the reason that poor white people are held in contempt. Nothing more. Now, it may be worth talking about if it is an actual advantage. Everything that I have seen indicates that it is. But I fail to see the racism in stating that, all things being equal, there is still an advantage to being white in this country.

You will note that I stated earlier that I tend to view all of these issues more through the class and economic filter than through the race filter

**Binayrdrone **was clearly exagerating by saying that anyone who is white is born on 3rd base. But, there is undoubtably an advantage, all other things being equal, to being white in America. Maybe the white guy is born on 1st base, or maybe the black guy steps up to the plate with a strike already on the board. However you want to characterize it.