Political Junkies: Help! I Have To Go Cold Turkey On Wednesday!

My name is DMark and I am a political junkie.
I have election poll websites bookmarked.
When I wake up in the morning, before taking a shower and getting dressed for work, I log onto the Internet and read the morning polls.
I flip to CNN during commercials on other stations.
I scan major newspapers on line and check out MSNBC and CNN several times a day.
I know candidates and propositions on ballots in states I have never even been to.
I can probably tell you the current poll results in most states off the top of my head.
I have looked at so many electoral maps, for the first time since fifth grade I now know all the names of the states just by their shape.

Yes, I know many will be happy when this election is over.

I will be going through withdrawal.
Help me.

I don’t want to have to start hanging around dark alleys trying to score early polls on Senate races in 2010!

I know the feeling. I voted on Friday, then went home and started getting restless because there were no returns to watch. My boyfriend pointedly told me that was enough politics for one year, time to start cutting back. He took the same approach he used when I quit smoking: ran me to death doing errands Saturday morning, watched a movie Saturday evening, window shopping on Sunday, then exhausted myself on the WiiFit Sunday night. Anything and everything we could find to keep me distracted. We didn’t even watch Meet the Press on Sunday morning. It helps that it’s month end at the office & there’s mandatory overtime. I don’t know what I’m going to do in place of checking electoral-vote.com every thirty minutes and scanning the Washington Post for something more reliable than the local paper. Having a life is going to be weird.

If Martin forces Chambliss under 50%, there will be a runoff in December. So in that case, there will be approximately 17 kajillion polls of Georgia every day.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much - the campaign for the 2012 election will probably start the sometime next week.

My husband retired last week. I can no longer keep the political stuff on the TV 24/7. It’s killing me!

Uh, you are aware that electoral-vote.com only updates once per day, right? You’d be better off going to fivethirtyeight.com.

If you think politics ends with tomorrow’s election, you’ve got a pretty narrow definition of “politics.” There is far more created every day than you could ever read.

I do. But after flipping back and forth between MSNBC, CNN, Fox News & the local (Dallas) news channels, I go back there to reassure myself that yes, Sen. Obama really is favored to win the election. It’s like the morphine button on a burn victim’s IV. Incidentally, Missouri is making me crazy. Pick a side and stick with it already!

Palin started running for president a month ago. You know “Palin Oh-12” chants at rallies and all. (Oh-12? When did we go to 3 digit references for years? Must have missed the memo.)

I’m going to go through some major withdrawal too, unless we have another electoral nightmare like in 2000, in which case I will be simultaneously panicked and entertained for another month or so.

But I figure I’ll take the newly opened block of four hours or so in my day to do something educational, like really get a handle on what’s going on in the Middle East and the history of the region, or maybe trying to get a better grasp of economics. With the lofty goal of improving myself, of course. It’s not like I’m gearing up for the next electoral cycle. Really. :stuck_out_tongue: