Portlandia on IFC

Fred Armisen’s new show, filmed in Portland and pretty much about the city’s residents and their odd way of living. I don’t know if they can keep an audience that doesn’t actually live here, but it was pretty quirky and pretty much on the mark. Anybody else see the premiere?

They stole my location for the show’s title. Can I sue?

I recorded it. Haven’t watched it yet.

Almost Live featured Seattle-based humour, and I appreciated it even though I was living in SoCal. I’ll admit that I didn’t specifically know why they made fun of Lynnwood in one sketch (and I still haven’t been there), but I ‘got’ the joke because there similar places where I lived.

It’s skit-based humor (I think I saw Lorne Michaels’ name go by in the credits), with some surprises as guest cameos. I’d be surprised if it goes past one season.

Some of the things at which they’re poking fun are universal amongst the various hipster communities scattered across the country.

Of course, hipsters and those who wish to make fun of them are still a pretty small segment.

Lorne Michaels producing a skit-based show? You’re right. It’ll never fly. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was hoping for a sitcom with a steady cast of characters, only because it would have a better chance of surviving (a la Seinfeld). I think they’re going to run out of material otherwise.

I’ve never even heard of IFC before.

Independent Film Channel. They show a lot of R and NC17 films.

Carrie Brownstein. Sigh. She’s like a little china doll. With an attitude.

Hey, she went both ways once. She could again.

Mrs. FtG and I loved this.

She was about to go to bed and I started playing it. She stayed put. Lots of inside yuks and all. Hey, you have to have lived just off SE Lincoln St to understand some of this. (Or Hawthorne, or gone to PCC or …)

One thing they got wrong is that Portland isn’t stuck in the 90s, it’s stuck in the 60s. There were some “hippie” references which is more apropos. The 90s culture was just a later iteration of hippie culture, but basically the same. (I’ve said it before: The standard grunge “style” was just everyday college dress of the 70s in the PNW.)

Fred Armisen just doesn’t have the range of talent to make this work though.

Buscemi was great as usual.

html5-based-app-mixes-itunes-with-twitter

If you’re on the look out for something to substitute your MySpace addiction (and you might be THAT old), head on over to UK-based MFLOW for your fix of social networking plus music sharing.

Calling itself “Twitter meets iTUnes), MFLOW enables users to buy music, and share some. On creating a free account with MFLOW, you can connect your accounts with Twitter, Facebook, and Buzz, search for music among the website’s pool of five million songs, then “Flow” a track, which basically means sharing the track to your connected accounts.

MFLOW allows users to download the first ten tracks they “flow” for free. The attached string? You can’t listen to the “Flow” again and again and again. You can buy tracks via HSBC, and you get credit when other users buy tracks that you Flow (you get a 20% commission per Flow bought).

MFLOW is not yet fully available in the U.S., but you can already get a free membership, download your free tracks, and listen to Flows. They plan to fully serve U.S.-based users by late 2011.

html5-based-app-mixes-itunes-with-twitter

If you’re on the look out for something to substitute your MySpace addiction (and you might be THAT old), head on over to UK-based MFLOW for your fix of social networking plus music sharing.

Calling itself “Twitter meets iTUnes), MFLOW enables users to buy music, and share some. On creating a free account with MFLOW, you can connect your accounts with Twitter, Facebook, and Buzz, search for music among the website’s pool of five million songs, then “Flow” a track, which basically means sharing the track to your connected accounts.

MFLOW allows users to download the first ten tracks they “flow” for free. The attached string? You can’t listen to the “Flow” again and again and again. You can buy tracks via HSBC, and you get credit when other users buy tracks that you Flow (you get a 20% commission per Flow bought).

MFLOW is not yet fully available in the U.S., but you can already get a free membership, download your free tracks, and listen to Flows. They plan to fully serve U.S.-based users by late 2011.

Agreed on both counts. Buscemi’s bit was the best of the lot, although the restaurant skit was pretty funny, too.

Speaking of Portland weird, we went to one of the Fertile Ground plays last night. The name of the play:* 99 Ways to Fuck a Swan*. Portland weird, indeed.

So, are there?

99 ways to fuck a swan, I mean.

I could write a play called 99 Ways to Fuck Carrie Brownstein, but I won’t subject you to that. Or Carrie.

It’s complicated.

Not all of them. Many are very simple and obvious.

Probably true with Carrie as well. :smiley:

Synopsis.

I do live on SE Lincoln, which they flashed on the screen in the “Mind Fi” scene. That was amusing.

After visiting Ithaca, the world depicted in Portlandia seems very, very familiar. :smiley: