Positive Gun News of the Day

Home invasion stopped by armed homeowner.

I see home invasions reported in my local news at least once every couple months. Criminals just kick in the door and don’t care that a family is at home.

No names provided. Makes it hard to look for news updates. Suspect was armed and it doesn’t sound like there will be any charges.

From Tuesday in Oklahoma City, a man armed with knives attacked a marijuana dispensary (Oklahoma now has legal marijuana for medical use, although not general legalization) smashing display cases and threatening the employees, in an apparent robbery attempt. The owner of the dispensary then drew a handgun and shot and seriously wounded the attacker.

From Thursday in Battle Ground, Washington, a man got past a locked driveway gate and attempted to force his way into a house. The homeowner, who had a handgun, attempted to calm the intruder while the other residents of the house retreated to a back room and called 911. The intruder threatened the homeowner’s wife, then attacked him, after which the homeowner shot and killed the intruder.

It’s interesting to note that “several minutes” passed after the occupants of the house called police—long enough for the armed homeowner to apparently have at least some sort of conversation with the man attempting to break in—but police still did not arrive in time to prevent the intruder from attacking the homeowner.

From yesterday in Oakley, California, a man forced his way into a home after midnight. The occupant of the home then shot and killed the intruder. According to the article, the attacker “was known to the occupants and had a history of violence”, so possibly some kind of domestic violence?

From Saturday in Dallas, Texas, two men were arguing when one of the men pulled a knife and attempted to stab the other man. The second man then shot and killed the man with the knife, in what police describe as self-defense.

Phoenix homeowner defends home against 4 men. They had just forced open the front door.

No injuries reported. Scary video. The homeowner was alerted by his security system. I can’t imagine continuing to live there knowing these men probably live close by.

From a week ago in Decatur, Illinois, a man burglarized a local business, then stole a pickup truck. While driving the stolen truck, the man hit another vehicle, seriously injuring the other driver. The thief (and hit-and-run driver) then fled the scene of the crash on foot and tried to force his way into a house, but the homeowner held the man at gunpoint until police arrived and arrested him.

Bond set at $250,000 for suspect shot by officer at Zapata’s restaurant

Jayden Sledge, 20, was allegedly seen breaking into an SUV parked outside Hopkins Icehouse bar and restaurant the evening of Oct. 13, according to a probable cause document. Sledge allegedly pointed a handgun at and threatened to kill the husband of the vehicle’s owner. A customer at Hopkins notified an off-duty Texarkana, Arkansas, Police Department officer who was in the business celebrating the birthday of a family member.

Two off-duty officers chased Sledge as he ran across the street into Zapata’s restaurant on Walnut Street. When approached by an officer in the restaurant, Sledge allegedly pointed a handgun at the officer and fled to a back storage area.

Why is this in “positive gun news” and not generic “idiot points gun at officer and gets shot for his trouble”?

The officer asked customers in the restaurant if any of them had a handgun and borrowed a weapon from one of them before approaching Sledge in the storage area of the restaurant.

No need for a good guy with a gun when the bad guys don’t have them either:

Never mind

Moderator Note

This thread is specifically for “positive gun news” from a pro-gun point of view.

If you are pro gun-control, the “positive news” thread from your point of view is here:

Please post appropriately. Both of these threads are focused topics from a specific point of view. Posting opposing viewpoints in either thread is considered off topic and/or threadshitting.

The overall gun control debate is beyond the scope of either thread. If you want to debate gun control, please do so in one of the existing gun control debate threads in Great Debates.

Woman alone with her 3 kids shoots intruder. Roman Rodriguez 41 had entered through a laundry room window.

A potential rape or possibily multiple murders was prevented by the homeowner.

While I do not disagree with her right to defend her loved ones and herself, I think that this line may be a bit of hyperbole. He also could have been a potential tv or jewelry stealer. There was no mention of him carrying a weapon and/or threatening anyone. In fact, there may even have been a possibility that he didn’t know anyone was home.

The incident happened at 10pm. There should have been lights on in the house. That used to be enough to deter burglars.

It’s true a person’s motives can’t be predicted. Maybe he was there for jewelry and the tv.

I don’t see anything about a window. They said he forced his way in a back door.

Having lived in a college town, there were stories of drunk guys being found passed out on a couch, only problem, a couch not in their own house.

We almost had another mass shooting with (of course) an AR-15, but a woman on the scene, carrying a pistol, popped several caps in the guy’s ass before he could hurt anyone.

Of course this was bad news for the 3 people the killer killed, but it could have been many more:

I saw that as part of the news story. I know we debated the whole “good guy with a gun” theory around here a while ago - this story definitely lends credence to this theory, no?

It’s a question of statistics: while in cases like this it came out positive I think in the long run it is more likely that there will be more negative results–the good guy misinterpreting the situation (a boyfriend/girlfriend fight when it looks quite different), the good guy missing the target and shooting innocent civilians, the good guy responding with a gun when dealing with a hostile situation when simply walking away would have resolved the situation.

It’s not that it never happens.

[ANALOGY MODE]
Decades ago, I was a volunteer firefighter. The majority of the calls we got were motor vehicle collisions. Over a few years, I saw several collisions where the driver was very drunk. Apparently, their level of intoxication caused their body to be nearly limp. They suffered no serious injuries where all reasonable expectations would have been that serious harm would have resulted.

But the learning from that isn’t that more people should drive drunk. Too much harm would result and inure to the detriment of innocents.

And the intoxication of the driver was usually the principle cause of the collision.
[/ANALOGY MODE]

The learning from these exceptional stories really isn’t that we need more guns in society. That’s just the party line from the endless actors who profit from the sale of guns and their ongoing uses, both legal and illegal.

It’s just another classically American perverse incentive: we privatize profits and socialize losses.

#Murica !