Post-BRexit fallout and happenings

Anything that can be known about the cost of leaving at this point has been on the table for the vote. If voters have chosen to ignore significant parts of the information, it cannot be helped now. Are you suggesting the British government should try to negotiate the terms of leaving plus a new trade agreement with the EU before even invoking article 50 of the treaty of Lisbon? What makes you think the EU would play along with that? So far all senior EU officials who had anything to say about it have called for a speedy invocation of article 50.

I suppose for this discussion it might be helpful to know what exactly article 50 of the Treaty of Lisbon has to say. So here goes:

Regardless of the wording of the treaty, the idea of holding a second referendum at some later point has been floated on occasion by senior members of the leave campaign. This analysis by Alan Renwick, Deputy Director of The Constitution Unit in the Department of Political Science at University College in London, basically says that they are fooling themselves. Article 50 offers no mechanism to withdraw a notification of intent to leave, so an attempt to do it anyway would need approval from all of the 27 remaining members - effectively an amendment of Article 50 - in order to go through. Not an easy thing to get.

There is nothing in the EU constitution to say that article 50 is irreversible. The terms of the UK leaving need to be negotiated and then voted on by parliament. If the conditions are particular bad and the mood of the public has changed then parliament won’t vote for it. In particular Cameron has indicated he does not intend to invoke article 50 yet, and that he’s leaving in for his successor to do after October. One way or another there has to be another vote on the issue wether that is another referendum or another method. This is not by any means a done deal yet.

But yes I think it would be extremely prudent to negotiate the exact conditions of departure as much as possible before invoking article 50. would you sign a blank contract thats going to effect you for the rest of your life, being told “oh don’t worry we’ll fill in the details later” ?

The person who lied about EU funds going to the NHS was apparently not part of the leave campaign.

The blogpost you quoted concludes:

In other words: Britain cannot unilaterally withdraw from an Article 50 notification, even if the electorate changes its mind in a second referendum.

Your point is? Nigel Farage is the leader of the UKIP and an MEP who was supporting a leave vote.

Is that so? Well at least they went to great lengths to make it look that way.

The blog I posted says that its a possibility, everything can be negotiated.

We’re in agreement then. The point I thought important to make is that a second referendum, if held after Article 50 has been invoked, cannot stop the process of the UK leaving the EU. All it can do is ask the UK government to begin a negotiation with the other 27 to stop the process. If that negotiation remains unsuccessful (even if only one member opposes), the UK is out of the EU two years after Article 50 has been invoked.

I cannot give you a exact figure, as I have been out canvassing for several weeks I have spoken to several hundred people many of them from the local 6th form or technical college. I am involved with the estate on which I live and we have six schools so I do know several teachers. I am not talking about a few guys down the pub

So Cornwall voted majority LEAVE, even though the EU provides over $80 million to them a year? Sounds like the poor people who vote Republican.

Does leaving EU also mean leaving the European Parliament?

Of course it does:confused:.

English will no longer be an official language in EU after Brexit.

And what other language in the EU is more commonly spoken? Not a facetious question, I genuinely don’t know.

So much is invested in English as a second language that I highly doubt they would remove its official status, not least because most of the Irish aren’t competent in the Irish language. French is also widely spoken, but for anyone younger than 40 the chances that they speak English are much greater than that they speak French.

I was listening to a slate money podcast where brexit was the topic of choice, and my god the irritation and bile tossed around on that show was palpable.
It was openly wished for that the vote would be denied and not followed through on, these people truly are anti democratic in the purest sense of the word, don’t get a result you like? ignore it or keep voting until you do.
Even pro remain people, don’t you find that attitude obnoxious? One of the guys was saying that the EU would have to play hardball with the UK as a lesson, and was seemingly against making the transition easier.

From the outside, even though he was clearly from the UK, he seemed far more loyal to the EU itself than his own country.
Go take a listen and witness the dismissive attitude from one of the hosts.

Not everyone was as over the top, but he dominated in terms of the force of his views.
Does every discussion like this online on podcasts need to be so segregated and siloed? What I would not have given for someone on that same show to take this jerk down a few hundred pegs when he was being ridiculous.
You would think the only value the UK has at all, is entirely derived from their relationship to the EU with very specific EU membership rules. How can they possibly function and thrive without being within the same rules and club? They are nothing but charcoal and ash without sucking on the same EU ruleset/teat.

ugh, I know many of you remain folk may think this way, but I find it absolutely vile.

Did you read the link? They would not be removing working status, only the ceremonial “official” listing. Per some interpretations/translations of EU rules, each member state can identify only one for the latter, and Ireland chose Irish (termed “Gaelic” by the Polish official). English is an official language of Ireland, of course, as well as Malta, but as yet hasn’t been designated to the EU, except by the UK.

I did, but among other things it pointed out that the French-language rules can be interpreted to allow more than one official language, and of course if Scotland remains in the EU they are unlikely to choose Gaelic or Scots! (Though I would love it if they did.)

How does Ireland feel about that?

They’ll tell you in Gaelic.

But, yes, as said in reply, it is quite likely (maybe necessary) that Ireland switches from Gaelic to English.