Post CF and on-going Trump outrages

I think that would lead to the Feds stepping in because those states are not doing their jobs. Which itself wouldn’t be good, of course.

Idiots.

The ‘why are we even bothering’ comes into play if there is no federal action to stop states from enacting ‘we can disregard the votes cast by our state’s voters whenever we wish so long as we utter the word “fraud”’ laws.

If there IS federal action to stop these state laws—and that realistically means passing the existing Voting Rights acts and other related legislation, which can pass ONLY if Manchin and Sinema say so*—then “bothering” is well-worth doing. We would then have an actually-functioning democracy, and that’s worth quite a lot of bother.

\

*Of course this is short for “Manchin and Sinema need to give up their plainly-disingenuous support for the filibuster, and then, also, vote in favor of democracy’s continuance----both of which are highly-dubious propositions at this stage, unfortunately.”

Which Feds in particular?

Most likely Congress would need an amendment and that can get messy. But there is a 0% chance that states are going to be able to suspend voting for federal elections and have that stand. That’s fantasy.

“Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress”

In such Manner as the Leglislature may direct. What do we say to that?

That there are other federal elections than the presidency.

“The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of choosing Senators.” (Emphasis added.)

A state could then run two different election systems, a fair one for U.S. Senators and House members and a biased one for presidential electors and state and local offices. But running two systems just to keep a thumb on the electoral scale would be not only obvious but expensive.

Trump comments on Colin Powell’s passing:

Definitely a class act.

Trump has his own notions of sentence structure.

I hope the family bans Trump from the funeral. Just outright says he is not welcome there. And then formally invites Clinton, Bush and Obama.

Further, I hope that when history books are written, the US government from 2016 -2020 is referred to as “the interregnum between the Obama and Biden administrations”. Just obliterate the name from history, like they did for popes they did not like.

a. What an asshole. and b. My first thought was: what did Powell do to get on Trump’s bad side? Powell was long removed from public life. But then I remembered: he voted for Obama and Hillary, and that’s all it takes.

Here’s a fuller take on Trump’s response from CNN:

The cherry on top is the utterly crass appeal for donations. To T, every event is a fundraising opportunity.

Trump: “Everyone look at me! I just vomited all over myself! I did it all by myself! Send me money!”

And Republicans, still, can’t stop kissing Trump’s ass.

Unfortunately the odds are against President Carter outliving The Least Pumpkin, but I shudder to think what potshots will be taken then.