Primetime Cartoons: Throwdown

Here’s how it works: We take the 5 most popular primtime cartoons and vote for each of them in descending order. After a certain amount of time (I haven’t decided yet; probably this Sunday) we’ll tally up the votes and see who reigns supreme. The only rule is that you stick to the format for ease of tallying and you must vote for all 5, even if there is one or more that you hate. If you don’t stick to the format, or don’t vote for all 5, or do something cute like vote for the same show 5 times, your vote will not be counted. You can elaborate on why you voted the way you did. Just for fun, and to see if any patterns emerge, list your age and sex, if you’re comfortable doing so. Also note if you live outside the US, but no need to note if you live in the US.

The cartoons are:

Family Guy
Futurama
King of the Hill
The Simpsons
South Park

Vote in descending order, giving the most points to your favorite, and fewest points to your least favorite.

My votes:

5 - Futurama
4 - South Park
3 - The Simpsons
2 - King of the Hill
1 - Family Guy

I’m a 26 year old male.
Futurama is my favorite tv show of all time, so that was a no-brainer. South Park and the Simpsons are my second and third favorite shows ever, also no brainers. King of the Hill I used to not like when I caught the occasional episode, but I eventually realized it’s sort of an on-going narrative, and it gets better the more you watch.

Family Guy is way below the other 4 for me. It’s got some funny jokes, and I was a big fan during the first season, but it’s significantly less creative than the other shows on the list, IMO, and it has a lot of jokes that are the exact opposite of funny. Also, it tries to be highbrow occasionally, but I feel like it’s generally a hodgepodge of South Park and The Simpsons directed at people not smart enough to get South Park and The Simpsons.

5- Family Guy
4- The Simpsons
3- Futurama
2- King of the Hill
1- South Park
33, M

1. Futurama
  2. King of the Hill
  3. South Park
  4. Simpsons
  5. Family Guy

29, male

Futurama is my all time fave. It was a toss up between KOTH and South Park but to me KOTH has been consistantly better than SP. Simpsons is hit or miss with me and I’m not really into FG so it goes last.

1. Futurama
  2. Simpsons
  3. South Park
  4. Family Guy
  5. King of the Hill

41, Male

This was actually tough. I give it to Futurama as they have the highest percentage of excellent shows but South Park and Simpsons both have more good shows. To me all three are very close. There is a big drop to Family guy and a huge drop to KotH. I would pick the Critic or Dilbert or even the Flintstones over that piece of crud.

5 Simpsons
4 South Park
3 Futurama
2 Family Guy
1 King of the Hill

IMO the Simpsons in its heyday was the best show of all time. Futurama ismuch more consistent than South Park, but South Park has the longevity to beat it out. Family Guy gets laughs, but it’s much more one dimensional than the first three. King of the Hill…

24 M

5 Simpsons
4 Family Guy
3 Futurama
2 King of the Hill
1 South Park

My top three cluster close together. I lost interest in King of the Hill a long time ago, and South Park has never interested me at all. It took me a long time to get into Family Guy, but it’s won me over.

5-The Simpsons
4-Futurama
3-Family Guy
2-South Park
1-King of the Hill

Male, 40

Tricky one, as the Simpsons is the only one I currently watch regularly. I’ve been at least a semi-regular watcher of each of them at different times, however.

5.) South Park - No cartoon has made me cry laughing as much as South Park.
4.) Family Guy - It has its moments, and those moments are excellent. Interestingly enough, those excellent moments are almost never the ones that start with, “This is worse/more embarrassing/sillier/etc. than that time we did ______ with ______.”
3.) Simpsons - This would score lower if not for the abysmal quality of the two other competitors. People often say this show was excellent in its earlier years, but it wasn’t. It was really bad in the first seasons, when Bart was the focus, and they tried to make it a family show with family values. Yuck. The show got funnier when Homer became the star, but lost something in the strained effort to make the show last. However the show deserves credit for its longevity and creativity (just, not from me). I don’t like it because it isn’t very funny to me, and the references are usually an egg-hunt without any point or meaning.
2.) Futurama - I can’t understand why anyone likes this show. Every episode is an exercise in waiting and trying to find something to laugh about. Well if you hold your breath in wait long enough, the lack of oxygen to your brain will eventually make one or two of their jokes chuckle-worthy.
1.) King of the Hill - I have never once laughed or chuckled or smirked at this show. As far as I can tell it’s an animated, redneck, soap-opera for guys (except without the ridiculous plot lines). Does the show even have jokes?

I am very glad American Dad was absent from this list. It gets special nomination as the worst primetime cartoon in the history of all-time and ever.
Finally - A/S/L??? 24/M/NV

5 - Futurama

If the numbers were relative, this would get more like a 12. Not just the best cartoon, but one of the best shows, period.

4 - The Simpsons
3 - South Park
2 - Family Guy
1 - King of the Hill

38, M

5 - Futurama
4 - The Simpsons
3 - South Park
2 - Family Guy
1 - King of the Hill

24M.

5- The Simpsons
4- Futurama
3- King of the Hill
2- South Park
1- Family Guy

29F

I’d like to give both South Park and Family Guy a 1 or a 2. I don’t particularly like either, but I’ve watched them just the same. SP was cool until they introduced a talking piece of shit. Family Guy just seems lame/awkward to me when I watch it.

5-Futurama
4-Family Guy
3-The Simpsons
2-King of the Hill
1-South Park

But Kim Possible tops them all.

Sad, but true. Better jokes, better written.

5-Futurama
4-The Simpsons
3-King of the Hill
2-Family Guy
1-South Park

34M
(I almost had my 2 and 1 picks reversed, but I remember catching the Family Guy Star Wars spoof a month or two ago, and thought it was pretty good, apart from the bits that made me cringe. Aside from the ‘Chef dies’ ep, I haven’t seen a full SP in ages. Not missing it.)

5 - Futurama
4 - South Park
3 - The Simpsons
2 - King of the Hill
1 - Family Guy
female, 31.

Futurama is the best cartoon running, for my money. South Park still gives me consistent laughs every time I see it, as does The Simpsons to a lesser degree. The Simpsons is a little derivative of itself these days but still usually worth watching. I’m pretty well over King of the Hill. I thought it was really funny in its first couple of seasons, but now I’m at the “I’ll watch it if it happens to be on” stage. And Family Guy, just blecccch. Too many overdone jokes, too much non sequitur for the sake of non sequitur humor.

5 - Simpsons
4 - South Park
3 - Futurama
2 - King of the Hill
1 - Family Guy

Male, 37

5 - Family Guy
4 - South Park
3 - Futurama
2 - Simpsons
1 - King of the Hill

Female, 23

5 - Family Guy
4 - South Park
3 - Simpsons
2 - King of the Hill
1 - Futurama

I cannot believe how out of sync I seem to be, but I cannot stand Futurama - and I have tried many, many times. King of the Hill is more of a 1.001 than a 2, but them’s the rules…
f/55
yeah, I know old fart, but I loves me some Prime Time Ani!

5- Family Guy - Far and away the favorite!
4- The Simpsons - Use to be the greatest, but no more
3- South Park - Seen less than 20 episodes and liked them all okay.
2- Futurama - I think I might have seen 1 episode of this, but it did absolutely nothing for me. Maybe I should give it another chance, but wouldn’t know where to start.
1- King of the Hill - Seen several episodes and they were all painful to watch. I hate this show.

35, M

I’ve never once heard anybody claim that the early Bart-centric episodes were the best the show has offered. They’re among the worst with the possible exceptions of pop-culture pandering heavy episodes.

To people who don’t like South Park, watch the Scott Tennerman Must Die episode. If that’s not funny, then you’re right to not watch it.

5-The Simpsons
4-Futurama
3-Family Guy
2-King of the Hill
1-South Park

m-39

I’ll only watch the bottom 3 if I’m forced to.