Prince Edward Island

I was reading about the wee little province of Canada called PEI (for short)

I’ll probably never get to go there, but it sounds like a nice picturesque place

So I thought I’d ask people that have been there

What are you opinions of it? Good? Bad?

What did you like about it? What didn’t you like? What do other Canadians think of their smallest province?

It’s a wonderful place to visit. I don’t think I’d like to live there though. There’s certainly no big city hustle or bustle but it’s scenic, lots of beautiful beaches and fresh, local food.

I went with “Other,” as I’ve never been there. BUT! Ms Hook and I should be pulling our trailer through there sometime around July 1st.

I’m really looking forward to it.

Place is amazing. I’ve travelled the world a fair bit, and I was really struck by the Canadian maritimes. But PEI in particular was special - mainly I think because of the colors. Everything seemed very pastel-like to me and my wife. Strikingly different than anywhere else I’d ever been.

We were there for a week in August. Other than the Northwest, PEI is the one place both me and my wife thought we’d be happy living on this planet.

But don’t believe me, go there and see for yourself!

I went there once many years ago. Had a very pleasant trip and I’d go back.

I voted “no opinion” - isn’t that where Anne of Green Gables is?

Yes. (And no, I’ve never been there)

It is the “home” of Anne of Green Gables, and a place in Canada I’d really love to visit.

PEI is very picturesque, as others have said. A beautiful place to go for a quiet vacation.

I’ve been there a few times. Beautiful place!

it’s the only province I’ve not visited - gotta check it off the list one of these days.

I went there many years ago with my girlfriend at the time. It was very beautiful and it was a nice trip. From what I understand though, actually living there probably isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

Apparently, Anne of Green Gables is in the Japanese school curriculum or something, and many Japanese like to visit PEI. We’re Asian, and some people just assumed we’re from Japan. I thought that was amusing.

I don’t know anything about it, really. I’d like to visit that part of the world some day.

It’s the most rural of any of the provinces. Yes, you can find areas of Manitoba or Saskatchewan that are pretty rural, but there are also large cities. PEI takes you back to a time when 80% of the population of Canada lived on farms.

It’s a gorgeous place, and this thread is just reminding me that it has been too long since I visited.

We have gone there for our past two summer vacations. My daughter loves the beaches and my wife and I enjoy the walking trails and cheesy tourist shops. Not to mention I always end up with a great deal for Rockport shoes at the outlet store.

I highly recommend a visit.

I spent a pleasant afternoon there, drove over from Sackville, NB, where I was visiting Mt. Allison U. We visited the House of Green Gables, but it was too late to tour. We stopped at a “lobster dinner” place and had a nice meal with unlimited mussels, a very good lobster and obscene deserts (which didn’t interest me much). Then drove back. The bridge is awesome. Would I go back? Probably not. We had to drive partly on unpaved roads.

I just wanted to say I never thought I would see my alma mater mentioned by someone other than me. Thanks for the grin!

I had to vote so-so since the one time I was there it was the off season and half the island was closed. It was very pretty and a great place to visit, but I don’t think I am suited to live there.

My sister lives there, though she’s planning on moving away once she graduates from university (for many different reasons, not a dislike of PEI). She’s a “small town” kind of person, so size-wise, Charlottetown is perfect for her, although there are a few conflicts with her night-owl personality; it seems everything closes early, and nothing is open on Sundays! She finds that the winters can be pretty tough, but the summers are awesome, and she loves the beaches and parks and the overall open space, even in town. It’s a very dog-friendly island, which for her is a plus; there are lots of places where she could take her dog off-leash without any issues. And since she met her fiancé there…well, that’s a plus for her too!

I’ve only had the opportunity to visit once, during a rather cold, miserable April, while my sister was sick and unable to give me any tours, but even so, I thought it was lovely. I’m a city girl, though, and I don’t think I’d like to live there, but it’s really a nice place.

What about night life and such. I am a city person too, so I couldn’t live there. It’s pretty small and I was reading how just building the bridge to connect it with the mainland was a huge argument.

Has that changed anything?