Psychonauts 2 - August 25

My first pre-order ever was Mass Effect Legendary edition, which I got on sale for $50. I will most likely make Psychonauts 2 my second pre-order as Psychonauts is one of my all-time favorite games.

I’m excited it is finally coming out, but as a teacher, disappointed it it releasing at the very tail end of my summer vacation. Yes, I am a spoiled brat.

Release Date Trailer

I am relieved to see that Tim Schafer is involved as a writer.

He’s the director of the entire game. It’s a full sequel that he did a fundraiser campaign to get started.

Psychonauts is one of my all-time favorites too. Such an amazingly original, clever and fun game.

I am cautiously optimistic for #2. Psychonauts is a tough act to follow.

If they bring back the figments that you need to read a guide for, then do some insane jump that takes 15 minutes to set up, only to fail 90% of the time, I’m asking for my money back.

The figments are back, but did they really bother you that much? They were mostly optional. I reached the maximum level(I think??) without all of them. They were simply just collectables once you got a certain amount. The idea was to just naturally get enough to level up and the vast majority were bonus.

Like Korok seeds in Breath of the Wild. I only ever collect about 200-250, but there are 900 in the game.

Yeah, I know they were optional. But I’m a completionist, and hate it when games have collectible achievements/goals that are incredibly difficult to reach. If they’re back, and insane, I’ll just try to ignore them.

The game has been pretty secretive like any game in development, but gameplay footage does show figments floating around and I think they were a pretty memorable feature of the first game, so I’d expect them.

I also think that “in world”, they’d have to be there since they represented aspects of the human mind that Raz was seeing while navigating through minds.

Definitely see Figments in the gameplay here. 42 seconds in if the link does not take you to that timestamp.

Looking good:

I hope they did a great job. It will really be impossible to tell until full reviews start coming out.

Psychonauts 2 has gone gold. The original Psychonauts was one of my all-time favorite games. Truly brilliant game design.

Fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers:

I just pre-purchased it so I can install early. I used Steam and do not see a pre-install option yet, though I heard that is dropping soon?

Very excited. I may not equal the original, but I hope it is fun.

IIRC it is available on August 25. Pre-installs, if offered, are usually only a few days before the game goes live.

That said, I really do not know about the pre-install. Just guessing.

Back when I had more time to play games, that’s what I did a lot. I would try for completionism, but would not bother if it got too frustrating. I also did it while the game was still going, so, if I got too frustrated, I could move on to other parts of the game. That way my last memory of the game is not the frustration.

These days, though, I usually just get what I think is reasonable as I play. Not only for time management reasons, but also because I think it keeps the flow closer to the intended experience.

Their tweet here announces that it is done and that you can pre-install immediately. I don’t see that option on Steam, but I expect it will happen the week of release.

Looks like for X-Box. Dunno about PC.

I"m sure it will the week or the day before release at the very latest. I’m in no huge rush.

Looks like Psychonauts 2 is getting great reviews across the board:

I’m excited. Steam still does not have the pre-install that I can see. I want this game installed now!!!

GameInformer: 9/10
PC Gamer: 8.9
PureXbox: 10/10
Newsweek: 10/10
Well-played: 10/10
IGN: 8/10
VGC: 4/5
XboxEra: 9.2/10
Gamespot: 9/10
Gamereactor: 9/10
IGN: 8/10
PressStart: 8/10