Punxsutawney Phil Predicts More Wintry Weather

So what? Big deal?
That’s Pennsylvania not the Sunny south.

Princess Tzu Tzu did NOT see her shadow this morning when Phil is predicting doom and gloom for the northeast area of the US

“There is no way this winter is ever going to end as long as that groundhog keeps seeing his shadow. I don’t see any way out of it. He’s got to be stopped. And I have to stop him.”

Phil Connors, “Groundhog Day”

My first thoguht: Damn, I hate winter!

My second thought: It’s just a freakin’ groundhog, it can’t predict the weather!

Hehehe… it was funnier the first time.

There is only one weather prognosticating groundhog and that is Punxsutawney Phil. He’s been at it for over 100 years. All these other rodents (like Princes Tzu Tzu) are pretenders and nothing more than various chambers of commerce lamely attempting to generate publicity for their area by chiseling in on Punxsutawney’s annual day in the spotlight.

it’s pitiful, really, if the best idea anybody can come up with is “Hey! Why don’t we get a groundhog, too?”

Punxsutawney Phil, of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, saw his shadow today and predicts six more weeks of winter. Punxsutawney Phil has been prognosticating since 1886 and has a success rate of about 50 percent.

On the other hand, Jimmy the Groundhog of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, did not see his shadow and predicts an early spring. Jimmy the Groundhog has been prognosticating since 1948 and has a success rate greater than 80 percent.

The Mount St. Helens VolcanoCam indicates that Mount St. Helens saw its shadow this morning, and a beautiful morning it is! This means there will be more glorious Pacific Northwest weather. Mount St. Helens has been prognosticating for more than 2,200 years and boasts a 100 percent success rate.

Your call.

Enjoy!

How old are these damn groundhogs? What makes them so damn special?
I heard the results at 6:30 this morning when it was friggin’ dark!

It’s obvious that groundhogs should be regional.
But how regional? State groundhogs? County? City? Neighborhood groundhogs?

I think he’s in bed with the utlility companies, particularly the gas company. Six more weeks of winter means six more weeks of price gouging.

Stupid rat.

Damn stupid rat.

Sorry, folks, but Jimmy, Phil and Tzu Tzu (what kind of name is that? Sounds more like a Gabor sister than a rodent) are ALL pikers. The true champion is Atlanta’s own General Beauregard Lee. Ol’ Beau has been prognosticating for 25 years and has an accuracy rate of 96%! That’s right - 96%! He’s been honored by the US Congress and the National Weather Service. Don’t take my word for it, check out his web page at http://www.yellowrivergameranch.com/ghday.htm .

Here’s a quote:

So nyah!

Phil can go such a hedgehog backwards. I hate winter.

I’ve heard that Phil’s predictions are predetermined, but I’m from Wisconsin, so what I’ve heard may not be very objective…

Brian

That’s the weirdest thing I’ve read all year.

I personally welcome or new Marmota monax Overlords.
(The hell I do. I just wanted to say it first for once…)

Our new overlords, dammit.

Freaking Woodchucks ate my spell chucker.
Checker.

How does anyone know whether this animal actually sees its shadow anyway? Or is it simply assumed to see it if there’s sufficient sunshine to cast a shadow?

People are there to watch.
A bunch of TV guys and handlers are standing around in front of the hole or tunnel or whatever these nasty rodents live in. Aforementioned rodent comes out to get the paper and these yahoos start screaming There he is! There he is!

“Gawd dammit!” cries the rodent and dives back into his abode.
This is called experimenter bias or something.

The one and only Princess Tzu Tzu sends you greeting and well wishes for the early spring due to arrive in the sunny south in time to celebrate the Vernal Equinox.

The one and only Princess Tzu Tzu is descended from a long line of Princes and Princesses of the royal house of Tzu.

The one and only Princess Tzu Tzu is a very private personality who eschews the hype, huxterism, commercialization, crowds, and serving as a shill for any chamber of commerce associated with the annula ritual of prognostigating the arrival of spring weather.

The one and only Princess Tzu Tzu bids you farewell for now and invites you to come back next year to, once again, view the pridictions of Her Royal Highness

I don’t think I recall a time when Punxsutawney Phil didn’t see his shadow. Has he ever NOT seen his shadow and predict an early end to winter?

An old friend of mine from college grew up in “Punxsy.” He said that, yep, it’s all fake–the “elders” sit around in a bar on the morning of the 2nd (usually the evening of the 1st, as well) and decide what the “prediction” is going to be.

He also said that the Shiftless Youth of the town camp out just out of view of the stage and get blitzed. Hey, I’ve been to Punxsy, and I believe him–there’s nothing to do in that town. Groundhog Day got that part right.