Queer TV problem: Not receiving input?

(This was accidentally posted as a response to another thread, so if you’ve seen it and thought it looked like a non-sequitir, that’s what happened.)

I have fears that my 18-year-old TV has bitten the dust. But here’s what’s strange: The picture tube appears to still function, although I can’t get any of the local broadcast channels clear enough to watch them. Way too much static.

What’s strange, though, is that I can hook up my cable directly to the TV, and I get nothing. No signal at all. I can hook up the VCR directly to the TV and play a tape–nothing. I can run the TV input thru A/V wires instead of the coax–still nothing.

I’ve been doing this sort of thing a loooooong time, and have a pretty good idea of how to hook up things so that I get what I need; however, just to be sure, I took out the manuals, and step-by-step went thru the procedures as documented, just in case I was overlooking something.

Nothing.

Maybe I’m just in denial, but I’m not willing to let go of the possibility that I’ve hooked up something incorrectly, which leads to the GQ:

Is it possible for something to go cuckoo so that the TV doesn’t receive input from either the coax or A/V inputs? The unit, other than that, appears to be working.

I’m going to guess that you’ve ensured the air/catv selection on the menu is correct. Beyond that, it sounds like Mr. Tuner has left the building. :frowning:

No menu–it’s a physical switch. But, yep.

My WAG from afar is the tuner may be OK, and the video input jacks may be OK, but the circuitry that switches between the video from the jacks and the video from the tuner has decided to retire.

Take comfort in knowing that 18 years is a long, long life for a TV. :slight_smile: