Question about my new Apple iMac

Sorry the title can’t be more specific. I bought my iMac 27 in December after folks in another thread helped me make the decision. I’m really liking it, but I’m having one minor and annoying problem.

I had to download Adobe Flash Player in order to access our local online newspaper. No big whoop. But here’s what happens every time I try to load the paper:

-Launch Safari
-Click on the icon to go to the website.
-Website loads
-Nothing happens, no matter how long I wait
-Exit Safari
-Reload Safari
-Click on the icon
-Paper content loads

Anybody have a clue what’s going on here, or how to fix it? Is it a problem with iOS, Safari, or the website? I have my doubts about it being the website, as it seems 99% of Portlanders use some sort of Apple product to access it.

Thanks.

Well, it can’t be iOS, because the iMac runs OSX. It could be Safari. I would recommend installing both Firefox and Google Chrome and see if one of the works better.

Try this:

In Safari, go to the ‘Safari’ menu item, then select “Preferences”. In Preferences, go to the “Advanced” tab and turn off “Stop plug-ins to save power”, that is if it’s activated. If it’s not, well, I’ll have to make another guess.

Yeah, sorry; I’m still unfamiliar with some Apple terminology after 30 years of Windows. :smiley:

Pork Rind: I’ll give that a shot once my wife gives me my allotted 3 minutes a day on it (most everything I do is on my laptop).

If you wish to share which newspaper it is, I’ll have a look on my iMac. Why on earth you’d have to use Adobe Flash to look at a newspaper website is beyond me.

Welcome to the Apple world!

I’m not a fan of Safari. Very happy with Firefox.

It wasn’t activated. Make another guess. :slight_smile:

Hmm. My next guess is, “It’s because Flash sucks”, but that’s not very helpful. Gimme a minute to ponder.

When you say as one of your steps that you reload Safari, do you mean you reload the page, or that you quit and restart Safari?

edit: and what happens when you go to the Flash installation debug page and take the test at the top… https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-mac.html#installer

I have to quit and restart the browser. I’ll take a look at your link.

pidgeon92: It’s the Oregonian, but it’s a paid subscription site, so I don’t know if you’ll be able to view it.

Went to the Adobe link; latest version is installed in the browser.

Your link indicates that the site is being created by digital.olivesoftware.com, and is not just the regular Oregonian website (which looks fine in Safari, by the way). I think the problem you are experiencing is some incompatibility between Safari and HTML5. Definitely try it in Chrome instead.

Thanks. Yeah, The Oregonian is different from Oregon Live. I downloaded Firefox and it works fine. Guess I’ll dump Safari and go with that. The Oregonian is the only site I’ve had a problem with, but we go there often, so it’s worth the minor hassle of getting used to a new browser.