QUICK! Need 2 easy songs I can teach cub scouts

…I have been drafted to help with the music belt loop and pin. One thing I will have to do is teach them 2 songs they can sing along to.

I play guitar and they are 7-8 years old.

HAAALP!

When I was a Brownie Scout leader, the best-loved song was “Beans in My Ears.” The kids never got tired of it, and they made up lots of new verses.

You can hear the song here.

Quartermaster’s Store was always a favorite when I was in Scouting. Another one where you can make up new verses.

When I’ve played for/with kids, I’ve always gotten a really good response for “Puff the Magic Dragon” and “Yellow Submarine.” They love to sing along with “Puff” especially.

How about John jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt (<strong>John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt</strong> - Song Lyrics),
Another might be “How Much is that Doggy in the Window” (or is this too “gay”)

My favourite is “Herman the Worm” … substitute “Beaver, Cub, Scout, Venturer, Leader” for bug/fish/turtle/cat or whatever. Oh yeah … and at your discretion you may change the last line to “I barfed”. It is a simple, fun (& gross) song complete with actions to get the kids involved.

For something more complex, but very traditional (it was written by Lord Baden Powell) try “Ging Gang Goolie” and once they get it you can do it in a round. Look up the story that goes with it to get a bit more scouting history passed along.

Kum by yah

Greasy grimy gopher guts
Mutilated monkey meat
Amputated biddy feet
Green eyeballs
Swimming in a pool of blood
And I forgot my spoon

One that I remember from my own Boy Scout days is Father Abraham, which has a lot of body motiions going on.

The Lumberjack Song?
What?

Rattlin Bog is popular with my girl scouts The Rattlin' Bog - Wikipedia

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt: lyrics, tune.

Once There Were Three Fishermen: these words, this format. If you don’t know the tune, you’ll have to ask around. The renditions I’ve found on YouTube are so godawful that they’ll be of no help.

This is the song that doesn’t end
Yes it goes on and on my friend
Some people started singing it
Not knowing what it was
And they’ll continue singing it
Forever just because…

I guess the Rodeo song is out -
WEEEEEEEELLLLLLL it’s forty below and I don’t give a fuck
Got a heater in my truck
And it’s off to the rodeo…

I mean, they’d love it and all…:slight_smile:

Diarrhea Cha-cha-cha

Awwww. I came in to mention that. Boys love gross stuff. There’s the one about :
The worms go in
The worms go out
The worms play pinochle on your snout…
I forget the rest.

Hey, that’s my name, too!

“Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor On The Bedpost Overnight?”

“Right Place, Wrong Time”?

I had the same deal with a chick vocalist the other night. “Stack-A-Lee,” “Frankie and Johnnie,” and so forth seem like safe choices.

“Particle Man” by They Might Be Giants