Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in the New Avengers film

Most of y’all that are fans of the Marvel movies and/or comic books have probably heard that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are supposed to play prominent roles in Avengers: The Age of Ultron, the second movie.
The thing is, Quicksilver is ALSO going to be in the Fox movie X-Men: Days of Future Past, but it’s not going to be the SAME character. Marvel studios is forbidden from mentioning that Quicksilver or the Scarlet Witch are mutants, while Fox is forbidden from mentioning that they were ever Avengers.
This brought a couple questions to my mind.
First, if they are not mutants, well…what the hell ARE they going to be? In the Disney/Marvel movie universe, we have yet to see a superhero that got that way by accident. Even the Hulk, whose condition was the result of accidental overexposure to gamma rays, was TRYING to recreate the supersoldier formula at the time, so it wasn’t like he was bitten by a radioactive spider. So I don’t think they’ll have been transformed due to some improbable accident.
Will Marvel somehow tie them into Chitauri technology or perhaps they will be aliens, somehow tied in with Thanos or the Guardians of the Galaxy? Or will they just make them mutants without mentioning the word “mutant?”
I am very curious as to how Whedon will handle this.

Well, before they were determined to be Magneto’s offspring, there was a theory advanced that they were the children of two of Captain America’s WWII superhero allies: Whizzer (superspeed) and Lady Luck (something akin to probability control). I don’t know if they’ll go that route, but it’s there.

I somehow don’t think they’ll go that route. But what if the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are somehow were linked to As guardian technology?

Huh? Why isn’t “leave their origin unmentioned” an option? Hawkeye’s origin isn’t. Neither is Black Widow’s. Also, Whedon’s quote is that the two will play “a huge part”, not “prominently”. They could be on-screen for 2 minutes and play a huge part.

Neither Hawkeye nor Black Widow have super powers in the movies.

And Captain America doesn’t either, yet he has an origin story. I guess it’ll all depend on how crucial knowing what their background to the story is. I would guess that for QuickSilver, 99% of the audience will be content with “he’s really really fast”. “She’s a mutant” has yet to be an adequate explanation for the shit that Scarlet Witch does on a consistent basis, so I’m not sure there’s much to gain from wasting time trying to explain why she does what she does, instead of rather trying to explain *what *she does. (“Manipulates the laws of probability? I don’t understand how that’s a thing.”)

In the movies, yes he does. His system regenerates and he heals faster than a normal human.

All they’ll need to say is “they were born with strange abilities.” Boom, done.

Whedon will handwave in a funny, quippy way.
“He’s fast.” “Oh yeah, how fast?” “Really, fast.”
“She’s lucky.” “Oh yeah, lucky?” “…”

I don’t know if that sounds like something Whedon would do.

Why can’t Fox and Marvel just get along?*

*(Yeah, I know there’s the whole issue of the rights to the properties and who has what and can do what with which and to whom and where and how. They could possibly make a bigger pie by sharing the ingredients a little and then sharing the results as opposed to splitting the pie and divvying up who gets which little piece. I guess I’m mixing my metaphor a little here, like some kind of 1920’s-style Metaphor Mixer)

Thor?

Born that way, as an Asgardian. He’s a particularly powerful member of that race, and much of his power comes from his hammer Mjolnir, but none of it is “by accident”.

Sure are a lot of hints and clues, though no actual story.
Seems like new characters will need at least that much background.

My question is, knowing the stupid, asinine, abhorrently fucked up role that licensing plays, why pick Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch? Whedon would have known about that property dispute before he started working on Avengers 2. Why did he choose them specifically?

And fuck both sides for not being able to give an inch for the fans. The CEOs for all the respective companies should be beaten with a bag of doorknobs for being unable to share the license. And I’m really pissed at whoever was responsible at Marvel when they signed away the rights of mutants and X-Men in perpetuity to Fox (and F4, and Spiderman to Sony, etc). Should have been an expiring deal, not “as long as you churn out shitty movies, you get to keep it”. Damn it, Marvel is owned by Disney now, just pay Fox whatever the hell they want to buy back the rights!

Why NOT use Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch?.. who seriously gives a rats ass if Quicksilver appears in two movies that have NOTHING to do with each other? People tend to forget that the two characters were considered classic Avengers for years and years before the reveal that Magneto was their father, but that’s all people nowadays care to focus on. The two being reformed villains can be touched on or explored without them having to have been members of the Brotherhood.
Whedon is a fan of the characters and knew he could use them and wanted to use them so he is.
Fox for some reason felt like they needed show their ass and exploit some ambiguity in the contract, but it shouldn’t affect anything.

The reason why not is because of the licensing dispute. If they get popular, their origins will have to be wholly stripped of canon. Why fight that fight if they can avoid it? Plus, Scarlet Witch’s powers doesn’t seem like it would translate to movies well, but that’s just IMHO

I hope Whedon makes the two wildly cool and popular and important to the Avenger story leaving Fox to dredge up some more “c” list mutants no one remembers or cares about. Bastards.

In my mind anyway, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are part of the Avengers story more than X-men & mutant storylines.

I agree…I think he’s going to have to make her something else. Maybe telekinetic?

I figure the Scarlet Witch is there mainly as a love interest for the Vision. Her powers may not matter.

Did they ever?