Quoting a Poster in the New Format

Now it says “Reply” but it used to say “Quote”. I see some people when they quote a poster, have that poster’s text showing. When I’ve done it I just get the original poster’s avatar up in the corner with an arrow. How do I include the quoted poster’s text in my post?

Select the text (click-and drag). Click “Quote”.

First, hit reply. So you see that it says “reply”.

Next, in the little editor, hit the voice bubble in the upper left.

I would have attached a screenshot with the relevant bit circled in red, but while Discourse permits the attachment, it won’t let me post it. Harumph.

Anyway, see that original poster’s avatar in the corner with the arrow? Immediately below that is a cartoon speech bubble. Click that.

Let’s see if I did it correctly…[quote=“Acierocolotl, post:3, topic:923501, full:true”]
First, hit reply. So you see that it says “reply”.

Next, in the little editor, hit the voice bubble in the upper left.

I would have attached a screenshot with the relevant bit circled in red, but while Discourse permits the attachment, it won’t let me post it. Harumph.

Anyway, see that original poster’s avatar in the corner with the arrow? Immediately below that is a cartoon speech bubble. Click that.
[/quote]

Nope :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’ll try again

Make sure the quote blocks (in the brackets) also go on their own lines. Discourse is a little… clumsy, if you will. Its markup has to be at the beginning of the line.

Don’t hit reply first. Just highlight the bit you want to quote and then click on the quote bubble that appears.

If you want to quote multiple bits, whether from the same post or from different posters, just do that one at a time for each quote. Note they each need to be on their own line.

TaDa!

ETA: if you “quote” this entire post you can better see how it’s done.

I think I did it!

Yahoo!!!