Rachel Dolezal learns what life is really like for many blacks

I could have sworn she went a teeny bit further than that.

Aldi’s pissed off at Dolezal - as are many black and white Americans, because she’s living proof that the way we draw lines between ethnic groups is arbitrary and absurd.

As a mother of black children, she has every right to head up an organization dedicated to defending the rights and freedoms of black people. No contradiction there at all.

No big deal. She invents a backstory to fit in better. It’s common for newcomers to go all in when joining a group, an organization, a culture. Alleviating one’s insecurity, proving one’s loyalty, and so on.

How about the fact that she was untruthful and deceived many of those she was supposedly trying to help? She identified as black, yet sued Howard University for discriminating against her because she was white. She made up stories to evoke sympathy, like claiming her uncle’s black friend was her father. She’s gotten through life by constantly playing the victim card and lying her ass off. Why *doesn’t *she deserve negative reaction?

Right. Regardless of what one might think of Dolezal, the OP demonstrates just how completely fucked up aldiboronti’s world view is. And I wouldn’t say it’s “bordering on racist.” It’s well inside.

Were her efforts to help affected by her untruths? Did her untruths matter in the least?

Because race doesn’t deserve to be an important issue.

Yeah, most racists think like that. Is that the OP’s excuse?

Just like Trump going after the black vote by telling them things can’t get any worse, trapped in the inner city hellholes as they all are.

While there are social & economic inequities, most African-Americans have jobs & homes & families. (Not that they aren’t concerned about racism.) And the “inner cities” are becoming increasingly gentrified–although there are still crappy neighborhoods.

Doesn’t Trump live in the middle of a very large city?

(Still, Dolezal could probably find work if she really looked. Maybe beneath what she considers her due–but better than homelessness.)

Read the Guardian article. She says she’s applied for more than 100 jobs.

I hope this is a whoosh. Lying about your credentials, experience, background, etc. is crap. I wouldn’t knowingly hire someone who did it.

If she lied about her education or work experience, she’s wrong, full stop.

That’s a separate issue from her calling herself a black American, which is what everyone seems to be upset about.

That’s what you call a “defense”… that he fits in with other racists in the country?

I have no problem if Schwarzenegger calls himself an American, since he became a citizen in 1983.

But he’s been calling himself schwarz a lot longer than that, and he still gets work.

Regards,
Shodan

That’s not a defense, that’s a god damned shame and a black mark on our society.

Many blacks do have lives like this. So do many whites, Asians, Native Americans, etc.

:smack:

Dear OP: Get a fucking job.

OK. Props where props is due.
That was clever.
A little mean, perhsps, but objectively clever.

Who’s “we?” Why is “pretending” or more accurately identifying yourself as other than your birth characteristics wrong? Try thinking.

Depends on the jobs. If you apply to be the Surgeon General and you don’t get the job, does that count as one turndown?

My puzzlement is with her inconsistency. (Paraphrased) “Race is a cultural construct of society, but being black is an essential part of my being.”

Ummm…no. That’s not how it works. That’s not how any of this works.

You can say that you have always felt more comfortable in a traditional black culture than otherwise, but saying that something you just dismissed as a construct is an essential part of you? Nope.

I thought both of those jobs have been known to lead to the White House this time.

About Dolezal: Is she the one who sued for being discriminated against for being White while she was claiming to be Black?