Racist Scholarships

People keep on saying variations of the “it’s their money, they can do whatever they want with it” argument. Do you really believe that? If a privately owned corporation wanted to not allow any blacks to work for them, would you say “it’s their money, they can do whatever they want with it”? If a privately owned bus company decided that all black riders must ride in the back of the bus, would you say “it’s their money, they can do whatever they want with it”? If a homeowner’s association agreed not to sell any houses to blacks, would you say “it’s their money, they can do whatever they want with it”? If you really believe this “it’s their money, they can do whatever they want with it” stuff, why aren’t you out fighting against all these anti-discrimination laws? Or does “it’s their money, they can do whatever they want with it” only apply when it benefits blacks?

Y’all are missing the point of the OP! He’s not saying “CAN someone set up a scholarship for whites-only”, he’s saying “can someone do it without getting blasted as a KKK-supporting racist”?

For example, if I instigated a two thousand dollar (or whatever) scholarship for only white people RIGHT NOW, would it be hailed as an advancement for my race or would I be seen as worse than Hitler?

OK. . .is everyone really saying that you really believe no one would protest if ANY organization (EVEN A PRIVATE ONE) started a scholarship that was limited to white people ONLY???

I’m not saying that all. I personally don’t see it’s all that likely. The typical scholarship would have requirements like “irish-descent”, “German-decent” or something like that. Both of those pretty much shut out African-Americans. In fact, I wouldn’t doubt that there are scholarships that are based on ethnicity and I have no problem that whatsoever. There are so many scholarships, that if you’re diligent, you can find something that fits you.

As noted early in the thread, there are, indeed, scholarships limited to people of German ancestry, Irish ancestry, British ancestry, Italian ancestry, etc. These are all “whites only” scholarships and no one is giving them any trouble at all.

The trouble comes when someone tries to establish a scholarship for people with African ancestry and somebody else leaps up and screams “racism”! However, since the whole purpose of the “breaking” that was a significant aspect of the slave trade was to eliminate any way for the imported slaves to identify themselves as Ghanian, Yoruban, Ibo, etc., there is now no way for those people to establish a scholarship for people of Yoruban (or whatever) ancestry. Crying “racism” when the blacks attempt to help their own groups while allowing all the individual white ethnic groups to form associations of mutual support seems to wander very close to the area of “keeping them in their place.”

I will begin taking the cries of racism against black scholarships seriously when I see those who are upset express the same indignation against the European ethnic scholarships. (Yes, I realize that “Irish” is not the opposite of “black.” However, since the white society destroyed the ability of any given black to identify his or her “Ibo” or “Yoruban” or “Biafran” roots, it is more than simply hypocritical for whites to now claim that if blacks want to set up ethnic-based scholarships, they have to do it the way that white folks did.)

I believe that there are scholarships for poor white people - plenty of them. I also believe that rich folks of all colors appreciate scholarshiips - you are aware that not all scholarships are “need” based, but based upon academic, athletic and other standards of excellence, right?

And this sentence means… What, exactly?

Yer pal,
Satan

TIME ELAPSED SINCE I QUIT SMOKING:
One month, one week, two days, 3 hours, 36 minutes and 34 seconds.
1566 cigarettes not smoked, saving $195.75.
Life saved: 5 days, 10 hours, 30 minutes.

People have screamed “Racism!” for African-American scholarships? I’ve never heard of that, but I guess I’ll take your word for it (I may have missed hearing about that or something).

But I wonder… what if a scholarship requirements said “Must be white”… or, to an even further extreme, “Cannot be black, Mexican, etc.” I think there’d be some protest over that.

Well, no, that’s a bit ambiguous. Just about EVERYTHING has some protest… but I think that if there was a scholarship fund that required “whites only” specifically, there’d be a lot of outcry.

Hey Spoofee…then if a scholarship was deemed “white only apply” I guess I’d be ineligible since I have the “taint” of Native American blood somewhere back there in my ancestry. Wait a minute! Are Native Americans non-white? Let’s see to what race would they belong? Perhaps they are technically Mongoloids anyone know for sure? Would you only have to look white or actually prove you are white? I know that isn’t the question. The question is would “minorities” raise a stink because of this. Got any extra money? You could try it. Who cares anyway? It’s a bigoted, racist question to start with. It is so typical, I have heard this so much it turns my damned stomach. What are you guys so afraid of? Scared some black guy might get a good education and cure cancer instead of some white man?

Thanks tomndebb…so well said. As you can see…and if you visit the “Do we owe the Indians anything” thread you will also see that we have a few individuals here that are terrified of giving up the upper hand they and our white ancestors have so enjoyed for centuries. They have been indoctrinated into believing that somehow if we do the right thing and at least give everyone a fighting chance that somehow their race will lose. What, I’m not sure? I just don’t think the white folks are anywhere close to losing the political, economic, and social dominance they have been accustomed to for so long any time in the near future. You can rest easy guys the “other races” have a long, long way to go. Especially with so many people like yourselves still around.

Needs2know…I apologize if this is considered a flame, but this particular kind of ignorance really astounds me.

Need said

I suppose that it is heretical to believe in eqaulity; that every citizen should have the same rights and should not be singled out because of color?

I was on the admissions counsel at my college. It sickened me to see Blacks with a 2.5 gpa and 1000 SAT’s get accepted over more qualified whites. Or to see white friends with a 3.9 GPA drop out because they couldn’t afford school while the average black on a full scholarship had a 2.3 GPA. (a scholarship paid for by the private university itself)

People should not be judged by the color of their skin.

When I can’t fire a female hispanic worker who is doing a horrible job, but I can fire a white male for no reason whatsoever, I would say that we have a discrimination problem.

Pssst…Spoofe. Check the OP. Better yet, take a glance at the title of the thread.

Garfield’s logic is that a whites-only scholarship would surely be deemed racism. Since he/she brings it up in the context of scholarships aimed at blacks, the inference is pretty clear.

Hey Satan…wanna break out those statistics you were talking about yet?

But Mr. Zambezi…You mean to tell me that you are college educated and still refuse to see that PEOPLE ARE JUDGED BY THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN! Oh that’s right, I almost forgot, you think they brought all this misery on themselves. You think they should “pull themselves up by their bootstraps” and assimilate themselves into “white society”. I almost forgot. Didn’t white society move away when they tried to assimilate themselves?

Needs2know…P.S. Gaudarene I cannot tell who you are, if you are male or female from your profile but I must tell you…you are perhaps one of the most eloquent, enlightened, intellegent and obviously well educated posters here. If not for people like you a big old uneducated hick like myself wouldn’t even hang around here.

But Mr. Zambezi…You mean to tell me that you are college educated and still refuse to see that PEOPLE ARE JUDGED BY THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN! Oh that’s right, I almost forgot, you think they brought all this misery on themselves. You think they should “pull themselves up by their bootstraps” and assimilate themselves into “white society”. I almost forgot. Didn’t white society move away when they tried to assimilate themselves?

Needs2know…P.S. Gaudarene I cannot tell who you are, if you are male or female from your profile but I must tell you…you are perhaps one of the most eloquent, enlightened, intellegent and obviously well educated posters here. If not for people like you a big old uneducated hick like myself wouldn’t even hang around here.

I’ll throw in my $.02 here.

I have also noticed the complete preference for minorities in the granting of scholarships. Not that there aren’t any open to whites, but these are usually scholarships open to everyone. Now I am a complete Egalitarian and don’t believe anyone should be prevented from accomplishing anything on basis of race/sex/etc…but I find it unfair that colleges would assume I or my parents have money simply because I am white. It is my personal belief that all scholarships should be granted based on need/merit and not race/sex/etc.

And yes I do believe a “white-only” scholarship would be protested vehemently.

Wow, thanks, Needs2Know. :slight_smile: That means a lot. You certainly don’t seem like an uneducated hick.

I have to warn you, though–I’m starting to see the light with regard to the arguments presented on this thread. I mean, just because over two hundred years of institutional history in this country have led to structural conditions by which minorities are in general afforded far less real world opportunity than white people, and are much more likely to be poor, uneducated, or in prison, doesn’t mean that there should be measures taken to actually try and address the disparity! Those damnable, uppity dusky-skinned folk!

Hey, I’ll give y’all a hint: those ghettoes didn’t just spring up by themselves, all segregated and poor and shit. Does the phrase “restrictive housing codes” mean anything to you? How about the Great Migration? The suburbanization of industry? The concomitant weakening of the urban infrastructure base? Nah…let’s just pretend we’ve all got the same opportunity, and that we live in a shiny, happy, color-blind world, and that Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man isn’t applicable anymore, at all.

I don’t think anyone here is applauding the work of many centuries of slavery. But preference based on race in either direction is not desirable. This goes to those “two wrongs don’t make a right” blather. The fact is that race is not going to cease to matter so long as we make it blatantly obvious that is does.

Also the implication behind these sorts of things are insulting. Giving preference to someone with lesser talent essentially is saying, "Look at this poor (black, yellow, blue, white, whatever) fellow, he can’t make it on his own. We needn’t set the bar so high for him as he can’t make it on his own.

The implicit assumption behind preferencial scholarships, lowered standards is that black (or any other grou) people are essentially less intelligent, motivated and capable of succeeding without help. I personally find this to be insulting to the millions of minority people who DO meet the general standard and have managed to succeed without help.

IT seems to me that if we are ever going to truly be one people, we can’t keep treating different groups differently.

Also to reply to PepperGirl assertion that their are PLENTY of scholarships available, I have searched through them, and most of them are specific to certain groups (the majourity being racial, sex, or religios, but I do not doubt there are some wierd ones too). The point it unless you are a member of that group you don’t get it. If you look through them, you will find precious little for regular old white folk. Race, sex, etc should be irrelevant, wasn’t that the whole point of the Equal Rights/Feminist movements?

need said

Do I really need to clarify this? ::sigh::

There is a difference between peoples personal racial prejudices and Institutionalized racial preference.

People will always judge others on a myriad of factors. It is one thing if I hate fat people. It is quite another if a college refuses to admit people over 250 lbs.

If I, as an institution that receives state and/or national funds state as a policy : “we will not give scholarships to blacks” That is racist and wrong.

But if the college says “WE don’t give scholarships to whites” that is OK because ALL whites have a peachy life of affluence, frolicking in the suburbs and getting automatic 4.0’s in highschool.

And I dont like the term bleeding heart. I prefer “naive”

I suppose that it is OK to stick it to the honkeys for a while because the blacks suffered before?

and one nit, Gad: you use the term “minority” to refer to the poor and undertrodden. That is not quite right since asian minorities, african immigrants, cuban immigrants and Indian immigrants are all bettering their white counterparts despit the color of their skin. YOu are engaing in inflammatory and misleading rhetoric.

I might also add, having lived in the “ghetto” at one time, that many of the hispanics 1) came here voluntarily 2) are happy as can be to be making 50 times more than they did in their native country 3) have severe language and educational barriers because they came from a poor spanish speaking country.

Or do you believe that ALL people with colored skin are poor uneducated ghetto dwellers? talk about prejudice.

Yes, there are scholarships for Caucasians!

Check out the “Diversity Scholarship” at Alabama A&M University at this site:

http://www.aamu.edu/Financial_Aid/Scholarships/scholarships.html

It reads, in part, “Diversity includes the attraction of a significant number of undergraduate Caucasian student with excellent academic potential to the University.”

OK, it’s not a “whites only” scholarship, but a good student could get full tuition (room and board) and course fees covered at this historically black university.

MrZ:

I’m more than a little curious - which college are you alleging would say the above? Or was this another hypothetical?

Waste
Flick Lives!

Mikehardware:

Gee, all I need to do now to get that scholarship is go to that one specific university in the hopes I MIGHT get it. I would be curious to see if the rates at which they accept whites for that scholarship is equal with the general population however. I doubt it.